General Discussion Race Reports! » George Washington Parkway Classic 10 Miler Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

George Washington Parkway Classic 10 Miler - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Alexandria, Virginia
United States
Pacers Store
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 10s
Overall Rank = 1777/1929
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 182/198
Pre-race routine:

Up at the crack of dawn, peanut butter toast, milk & coffee before heading out. Realized slightly too late that the garage I usually park at in Old Town isn't open yet (and I was there yesterday and it didn't occur to me to double check that) - still have a ton of time, I'll hit one of the garages mentioned in the packet info on N. Fairfax where the bus pickup is - except those don't seem to be open either. Still found street parking with plenty of time to spare. More than enough buses heading over to Mt Vernon for the start, and they are taking off like rockets the moment they are full.
Event warmup:

The usual stretching & bouncing around. Though heat wouldn't be a factor today, humidity was - knew that I'd regret it if I wore a t-shirt over the tank top. Fortunately, I learned from my Shamrock buddies about bringing along a trash bag to keep the chill off between bag drop & start time, and it worked like a charm. Also downed some Sport Beans beforehand - figured it wouldn't hurt to get a few more last minute electrolytes in and all that good stuff. One of the local gyms has a "boot camp" thing and their "drill instructors" have been out to the various local races for their clients, and one of them was running the warmup. Ever wonder what the evil scarily-perky aerobics instructor at your gym would be like if it was a guy? I do now. :) I passed on the group warmup and stayed with the "why can't we go with Bloody Marys as a warmup?" contingent. Was feeling a little creaky in a couple of spots, left ankle & right hip a bit "off" - made a mental note to pay extra attention to what my legs say as things progress.
Run
  • 1h 51m 10s
  • 10 miles
  • 11m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Given the size of the field, there was no official seeding for the start. We're all kind of loosely corralled trying to figure out when we're going to actually get going, as there have been no announcements in the past few minutes, we're all within a minute or two of 8 on our watches when suddenly, the horn goes off. Ack, time to go! This is when I also realized that I was more MOP than BOP when I saw a ton of people had fallen in behind me when the gun went off, so I got to the right as quick as I could to stay out of the way.

Now, there were a ton of WC's at the start. But not even a half mile in, there are guys taking off into the woods left & right - couldn't help but laugh as I heard my mother's voice of "Why didn't you think of that before we left?!?" I managed to settle right in and today my body decided not to argue with me over running - my first mile breathing rhythm seems to have finally shaped up to take care of that. Probably too fast for the first mile, but feeling good and trying to be mindful of my pace.

Second mile was uneventful, but again, too fast. But, I'm walking the water stations, so it will all even out in the end and be OK. Hit the water station at 2.5, walk a bit and it's off to the races again. Ankle & hip are totally fine, seems they just needed some shaking out.

Once I get through mile 3, I realize I've got a problem. First, I'm still going too fast, and if I keep this up, things are gonna get ugly somewhere around mile 6 if not sooner. Second, I don't seem to be able to slow down. (Yes, I know how absolutely ridiculous this sounds given that I am hardly quick like a bunny - I even laughed out loud at the idea.) Given that the water stations are 2.5/5/7.5 and that I'm not spending enough time there to offset the overclocking on the run, I decide to kick over to run/walk with mile 4, figure I'll walk a minute at each mile marker and take the walk at the water stations as a bonus and this should keep things in check overall.

This turns out to be a good move, and I'm essentially doing run 10/walk 1. At the water stop just past mile 5, I am passed by the guy who is running and juggling... He passed me at mile 5 at Cherry Blossom too. If he shows up at the Army 10 miler, I will throw a chain saw at him and tell him to juggle that, too. But other than that, I'm feeling good, the humidity isn't bothering me, and I'm well under an hour at this point as it is.

Running on the closed parkway is great, if quiet - it's not terribly easy for spectators to get out there, but there were some there! Somewhere between 5 and 6, there was a Mom & kids, all with drums and bells and whatnot - it was like having our own marching band!

Hit mile 7, still feeling good, but happy that we're well over halfway there. Walk the 7.5 water station and enjoy it. Can't help but think about the fact that these last three miles are basically going to be like the run for Va Run in a couple weeks. Thought about that a lot in the last three miles.

Mile 8 - oh we are sooooooooo close! We head onto the overpass that goes over the beltway and then we're in Old Town proper. Not a problem except that you have to go *up* to get over it... Given that most of the course thus far has been downhill or flat, no one is exactly thrilled to have to go up at this point, myself included. Surprise water stop right after it - WOOHOO! That, and two turns and we're done!

We make the turn onto Franklin Street and we can see the Mile 9 marker. Unforuntately, it's halfway up a hill. A hill that at this point is HUGE. Next to me is a woman and her husband - she is really hurting at this point - it's her first 10 miler. Her husband holding her hand and encouraging her, and I start too - she's looking at the hill with despair, and I can't blame her one bit. But I tell her - nah, it's just like a pimple - ugly but not fatal. I put out my hand and tell her we'll all get up the hill together, and the three of us head up in hand in hand and break mile 9 and conquer the hill. This, my friends, is what it's all about for me - not about time or strategy, just getting up the hill together - that's the type of thing that makes race day extra special to me. We get up the hill and openly cheer that it's flat ahead. :)

Last turn on to Union Street! And another surprise water stop, put up by someone running for City Council. I take the water, tell them "Way to buy the votes!" and to be honest, I couldn't in a million years tell you the name of the candidate. Now, you can see the finish line banner from here at this point, but I also know it's incredibly deceptive - Union Street is long and FLAT, and I've learned so far today that when I see a mile marker, I'm usually a good 90+ seconds away from it, and this is probably even further than that. So I just keep trucking along at the same pace.

There are more and more people lining the streets as we get closer, and I start looking for my brother, since I know he's out there somewhere. Do you know how many dark haired, tall, skinny guys with ballcaps were wandering around today? A lot. But not too far before the finish, I spotted him! And for whatever goofy reason started to choke up when I saw him and I waved to him and he saw me and cheered me on and that was all I needed to really kick it out for the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing, it was a spectacular day.
Post race
Warm down:

Bit of stretching, water, granola bars. Found my hill buddy and gave her a big hug and congratulated her on finishing. Found my brother, grabbed my bag and walked around Old Town for a while, which was a good cooldown.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of rocket propelled shoes?

Event comments:

It's not a fancy event, but it's well run, a fast course and a good time.

Last updated: 2006-03-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:51:10 | 10 miles | 11m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 182/198
Overall: 1777/1929
Performance: Good
1---10 35/60; 2---10 18/60; 3---10 56/60; 4---10 59/60; 5---11; 6---11 16/60; 7---11 28/60; 8---11 47/60; 9---12 11/60; 10---10 44/60
Course: Mainly downhill or flat - there is a reason they call it the fastest 10 mile course in the area. Two relatively small uphills, however, they are at the end and might as well be a mile high and a 25% grade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-04-23 12:29 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: George Washington Parkway Classic 10 Miler

2006-04-23 1:25 PM
in reply to: #404089

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-04-23 5:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: RE: George Washington Parkway Classic 10 Miler

Cindy - great race report.  I always feel like I am there when I'm reading your reports.  First reaction - mile 9 goodwill and joining the couple to summit "the pimple" was awesome!

I know what you mean about seeing someone you love at the finish line.  It can definitely choke you up.  And hey, you had to hold yourself back?  At least you still set a PR.  All these things will add up on the first Tri you do!

I remember that guy from the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler too.  Is he a running juggler or a juggling runner?

Edited by tnt2tri 2006-04-23 5:18 PM
2006-04-23 7:15 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Cindy,

Great race report.  I enjoyed reading about the "Pimple".  That was great how you helped that women over the bridge.  Congratulations on another PR.

Ernie

2006-04-23 8:55 PM

Master
Chesapeake, VA

Congrats on the PR - I told you!  Great race and nice race report.  Let me know how that pre-race bloody mary warm up works out next time. 

2006-04-24 12:06 AM
in reply to: #404335

Elite
ejc999 - 2006-04-23 8:15 PM

Hey Cindy,

Great race report. I enjoyed reading about the "Pimple". That was great how you helped that women over the bridge. Congratulations on another PR.

Ernie

Thanks! I was so desperate to think of anything to say to make her laugh, cause when she saw that hill, I thought she was going to burst into tears, the pimple was the best I could come up with on the fly, and it worked. Helping her get up that hill was easily the best part of the race - this is my 3rd 10 mile or higher race, I feel like I have this weird duty now to make sure folks around me finish and can look back and think "there were nice people on that race, I want to do it again!" After that, the PR was really the icing on the cake.

2006-04-24 12:06 AM
in reply to: #404408

Elite
captantony - 2006-04-23 9:55 PM

Congrats on the PR - I told you! Great race and nice race report. Let me know how that pre-race bloody mary warm up works out next time.

Will do.   Honestly, I am so awful at the warmups at these things - everyone is quite bouncy and perky and I am usually sitting there stretching and wondering if I can get in another 5 minutes of sleep before the gun goes off.   

2006-04-24 12:13 AM
in reply to: #404264

Elite

Thanks!  Mile 9 was great, but I really think anyone who had been right where I was would have done the same thing - it felt so good to help someone else finish! 

The PR really floored me - granted, it's definitely a fast course, but I felt so good through the whole thing I really couldn't believe I was going that fast.

I don't know what the backstory is on the juggler, but I definitely know how Mike 45 feels about getting passed by Spongbob Squarepants now.  

All these things will add up on the first Tri you do!

I sure hope so! 

2006-04-24 12:14 AM
in reply to: #404115

Elite
oneword - 2006-04-23 2:25 PM

Great race report. I'll have to remember that hills are just like pimples... oh, and I would recommend making sure that chainsaw is running wide open when you toss it to the guy at the Army 10 miler. Make sure its at least a 16" chainsaw, because any less, its not a real MAN's chainsaw

Now I'm thirsty for Guiness, dammit

*Making notes on the chainsaw*  It was pretty funny when he passed me, all I could think was, "Not you AGAIN!!" 

2006-04-24 4:09 AM
in reply to: #404485

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-04-24 5:36 AM

Master
Red Sox Nation

You got cake? 

SUPER race!  Congrats on the PR, and kuddo's for helping that lady have a stellar experience.  There's a race in Florida next weekend if you want to come hold my hand!

2006-04-24 6:34 AM

Expert
McKinney, TX

"I passed on the group warmup and stayed with the "why can't we go with Bloody Marys as a warmup?" contingent."

You definitely need to race come and race in New Orleans.  You'd fit right in!   Congrats on the PR...I'm so proud of you!!!

Edited by tri_it_cajun_style 2006-04-24 6:34 AM
2006-04-24 6:54 AM

Elite

Really entertaining report.  You must be pretty fast when you are running to average 11 mpm overall for walking and running.  That's my pace for continuous run.  I remember running in Alexandria with my daughter on one of her first runs when she decided to start running about 3 years ago.  It is a nice area.  There are some hills though.

Keep on trucking and be sure to us tell the story.

TW

2006-04-24 6:56 AM

Crystal Lake, IL
Thanks for the fun reading, and good job on helping that woman up the hill.  Karma, baby, it's all about karma. 
2006-04-24 7:32 AM

Master
Colorado

You have improved SO much! It's really quite awesome.

2006-04-24 9:25 AM
in reply to: #404511

Elite
foolproof - 2006-04-24 6:36 AM

You got cake?

SUPER race! Congrats on the PR, and kuddo's for helping that lady have a stellar experience. There's a race in Florida next weekend if you want to come hold my hand!

Oh how I wish I could get down to St A's to cheer folks on - I think half of BT is going to be there! 

2006-04-24 9:28 AM
in reply to: #404538

Elite

You must be pretty fast when you are running to average 11 mpm overall for walking and running.

Weird thing is, it doesn't feel like I'm going fast, I'm just trotting along pretty oblivious to my speed, and watching everything else going on, and then I look at my watch and go, "OMG, too fast, will burn out early, slow down!"

2006-04-24 9:29 AM
in reply to: #404539

Elite

hangloose - 2006-04-24 7:56 AM Thanks for the fun reading, and good job on helping that woman up the hill. Karma, baby, it's all about karma.

Yep, Figure at her next 10 miler, she'll help someone else, and hopefully I've guaranteed decent weather for my next couple races. :

2006-04-24 9:30 AM
in reply to: #404528

Elite

You definitely need to race come and race in New Orleans.  You'd fit right in!   Congrats on the PR...I'm so proud of you!!!

Reading the race reports from the Crescent City Classic, I was thinking "I really should do that one someday..." 

2006-04-24 9:31 AM
in reply to: #404557

Elite
ChipmunkHeart - 2006-04-24 8:32 AM

You have improved SO much! It's really quite awesome.

Isn't it crazy?!  Good crazy to be sure, but it certainly blows me away. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » George Washington Parkway Classic 10 Miler Rss Feed