TriUtah
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 10s
Overall Rank = 100/203
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/19
Pre-race routine:

Loaded car night before. Morning protein shake. Drove to venue arriving 20 minutes prior because of TT start and knowing that my go would be about an hour later than actual race time.
Event warmup:

Stretch. Light jog for 5-10 minutes. Brought trainer for bike WU. Decided not to hassle with it.
Swim
  • 05m 51s
  • 250 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Didn't push the swim and time shows. Simillar time to a workout warm-up which is what I wanted the swim to be. Regardless, the pool was just to dang hot. The heat became suffocating after the first 100 yds. I did manage flip turns throughout which was a plus.
What would you do differently?:

Work on relaxing (after warm-up) and getting the HR down prior to start of swim. Bi-lat breath at least first few hundred yards.

Come out with a stronger stroke and focus on getting a good pull from the start. Don't treat swim start like a workout warm-up.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Good transition. Could have pushed harder but wanted to come out on the bike with HR down. I was sucking air so badly coming out of the pool last race, this time I wanted to take it a easier. And I did.

Had a problem with one of the inserts in my bike shoes.

Talcum or baby powder and secure loose inserts in bike shoes.

Come out of transition and hop on the bike while it is moving.

While waiting for start I watched a lot of people in trans and one guy was able to do this beautifully: out of transition, one, two, three steps hop on bike clip in and ride in one smooth motion. Very sweet. It might have only saved a few seconds but it looked great! Still not sure how he made it look so smooth. Will take some practice.
Bike
  • 35m 53s
  • 12 miles
  • 20.07 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike felt good. And it was great to break 20mph avg. This is where I am the most competitive. Didn't place much higher than others in my AG . . . but I'm close. Was happy with this and HR was still low (at least compared to last race).

Ride the course the week prior if possible. It makes a difference in knowing how to attack and feeling comfortable with pacing and the course.

START AND STOP bike computer. Monitor split times through all events and trans for accurate HR data. I didn't pay attention to monitoring my splits this race. Used the HRM to monitor HR and that was about it. Just spaced it off. This was a mistake as split times from milliseconds were messed up all weekend and I wondered what my actual splits were for a couple of days.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Tried to get feet out of shoes just before trans area but waited too long and about tipped over. Cracked a joke about it with the transition judge about it (obviously not riding hard enough ;) ). Got shoes off to run through transition and unclipped helmet while running. Rest went well.

Smooth dismount. Get shoes unlatched prior to dismount.
Run
  • 27m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Side-stitch cramping and my legs were fatigued coming off the bike. Especially on the first half (uphill) portion. Climbs on Wed bike workout hurt me here I think. But the workout was still worth it.

Wondering if the Hammer Gel 15 minutes prior to the race contributed to the cramping. Had the same thing happen at Ogden last fall (using Hammer gels) but had no cramping in last months race when I didn't.

For HR being where it was (going to have battery replaced to make sure it's giving accurate readings) this was an great time. If I could race at LT it means I should be able to easily come in under 7:45 pace. That is exciting.

I knew the run time would come in a little slow. The positive is that for my HR being where it was the time was pretty dang good. Really good.

I'm excited to see what my run time looks like when I have an actual taper week and my legs get some rest before hand.

Run the course prior. Figure out what is going on with the cramping and do what I need to so I don't have it. Mentally prepare to push the pain barrier.
Post race
Warm down:

Grapes. Bagel. Water. Bannana. Little stretching. Chill with some of the BT guys, Laura and Camille.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental preparedness. It was a beautiful day and I had a fun race. This kept me from pushing as hard as I might have. (Need something to trigger Foo's subliminal messaging here)! Also, because of the TT start and my starting toward the back of the pack, I was doing more of the passing than being passed. That was fine. But it didn't keep me as motivated.

With this being a "C" race, the fatigue in my legs from earlier weeks workout and lack of any taper affected me. Still some real positives. I am looking forward to the next two races in St. George. OWS without a TT start and a nasty hill climb. I'm going to be ready for that hill.

Event comments:

My AG is bloody competitive. Top 5 in AG are in the top 20 overall. I might have to put on 10 pounds and run Clydes. I'd have been 4th there! ;)

I'm giving this race an below average score for a number of reasons: 1) Swimming in a pool so warm 2) Bike course through an area with so many speed bumps and dips 3) inaccurate split times until three days after the race 4) t-shirt design wasn't the greatest (http://www.triutah.com/images/springtritee.jpg)

Positives: 1) Beautiful day 2) Good support (Tri-Utah always does a good job) 3) light traffic 4) well organized 5) plenty of near by parking.

I'm not sure I'd do this race again if I had another choice this time of year but am glad I did it this time.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:51 | 250 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/19
Overall: 139/203
Performance: Average
HR gets too high while waiting for the race. Especially TT starts. I was in mid Z1 for an entire hour while I waited for start.
Suit: Desoto Tri Suit
Course: Spring heated pool at +88 degrees. Up and back alternating lanes for 5 laps total.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 90F / 32C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:35:53 | 12 miles | 20.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 83/203
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: Flat course for first six miles (3 miles out and back) with a combination of smooth road and nasty washboard type stuff. Second six was through residential area (again out and back) with smooth roads, rolling grades and light elevation gains. Four or five speed bumps and some dips on this back half. Someone went down badly on one of these but I didn't have any problems. Still would rather not have to deal with them.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:32 | 03.11 miles | 08m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/19
Overall: 103/203
HR was low for the run. I see now why Mike gave kudos for last race HR. I was working dang hard. PRE felt like a tempo run here but HR monitor shown I was I was in zone 2 (where I usually train) for most of it. It was strange to have HR so low but be feeling as though PRE was higher. Wondering if the week off hurt me here a little. Cramping and leg fatigue probably made a difference in inability to get HR up.
Course: Not a bad course. Slight uphill grade for first half through residential area and on golf course. Slight downhill on back half. About a half-mile on a dirt/grave path running along the lake. Beautiful of lake and mountains but didn't like running on the trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2006-04-24 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: In Training Spring Pool Triathlon

2006-04-24 9:09 PM
in reply to: #405298

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: In Training Spring Pool Triathlon
Sounds like an overall good experience. The HR certainly wasn't up too high. That bodes well for the future. Once you start doing some real race specific workouts, you're going to see some FAST progress!

Bummer that the water was so hot. I can't stand to swim in hot water. I've heard a lot of complaints about that.

And the T-Shirt? I'm doing the graphics for Jordanelle, so hopefully it will be better

As for the Hammer Gel, did you take it with 12-16 oz of water? It doesn't digest very quickly if you don't, or if you take it with sports drinks.

Oh, and nice job on the bike! Congrats on the 20+!
2006-04-24 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Provo, UT (my heart is in Seattle)
Nice race Jimbo! I'm afraid to race you if you're going to put up those times with such little effort

2006-05-07 11:34 AM

User image

Regular
Draper, Utah

Finally getting around to this- Not very good at staying up on this BT stuff... But anyway...

Just wanted to say you had a great race!  You kicked butt on the bike!  Honestly, I may have beat you on the race, but based on what you said about your HR and effort level, you're still ahead of me- I pushed pretty hard to pull off the time I did.  Next time you decide to enter the "pain zone" you'll be kicking some serious butt!

Can't wait to see how you do on the next one! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » In Training Spring Pool Triathlon Rss Feed