Sports Backers
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 14m 1s
Overall Rank = 1751/3787
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 101/201
Pre-race routine:

Training: Was doing well on training through mid-Sept when a family emergency totally took me off my game plan and I completely lost 3 weeks of training. At that point I had just hit mid-40 miles/week and was feeling strong on my longer runs. After the break, I was only able to get in one week of 40+ miles and 2 30+ weeks. Also my knee and back are a bit sore and I my weight is back up close to 200. Probably not ideal timing.

On the other hand, I'm not getting any younger and my run prep and times are better than ever. Maybe a good time to stretch a bit and learn. If I enjoy it, I can always give it another shot next year.

Plan: I've signed up for the 4 hour pace group. Mainly b/c that would be my goal time if my training had been completed. So, I'd like to see where I get to at that pace and how I feel. I'd be disappointed if I had to drop off before mile 15 (where the long hill begins). I'd be thrilled to make it to 20.

So, my goal is:

16.2 miles at 9 min pace
5 miles at 10 min pace
5 miles at 12 min pace (walk / run)

Total time = 4:16

Under 4:15 - Ecstatic
4:15 - 4:30 - My expected range
Over 4:30 - Wow, I learned alot, wish I could still move
DNF - Probably underestimated knee or back issue

Also plan to drink at every stop - water and/or powerade. Hope to not think about the first 6-10 miles and just enjoy the view/pace. Add music sometime after 10 miles depending on when I need a lift.

Event warmup:

Got up at 4:30 and drove over around 5:45. Went on 95 to Franklin / Main and parked at Main and 3rd or 4th. Much better than last year's traffic choice. Got to the starting line at about 7:40. Perfect timing. Decided on short sleeve shirt (good call).
Run
  • 4h 14m 1s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Basically cruised until about mile 10 (and was slightly ahead of the 4 hour pace group at that point), when a few short, but steep hills reminded me that I was running. The pace group caught up with me soon thereafter and then I hung with them across Lee bridge. Saw Karen between mile 16 and 17 (she did find a Starbucks where she could hang out). Continued on until the turn onto Main Street which was still slightly uphill and the wind slammed me. That (mile 17) was when I started to slip behind the pace group and also started feeling fatigue. Paced slipped into high 9s for the next couple of miles and then around mile 20 or 21 really started struggling. First walk (other than congestion at water stops) was up the bridge on Boulevard around mile 19. Somewhere in here I started to lose my focus and discipline. Tried to run to the water stops - find motivation anyway I could. I wasn't alone. This was when you could tell who was prepared or not. Grabbed a coke, cookie and M&Ms at the junk food stop at mile 22+. At this point, I was really struggling... just shuffling along. I think I was able to stay under 12 min/ miles, but honestly not sure. Last two miles I think the sugar kicked in (plus I gave it whatever I had left) and I think I managed under 11 min / miles. The steep hill down at the end was rough. But the race went about according to plan and I was under 4:15 which was my goal. Very happy with the race overall. I think under 4 is a possibility with a better base, 10 lbs less, and no interruptions in training, but today wasn't about the time. It was about seeing if I could do it :-)
What would you do differently?:

Really not much. Training was the issue, but honestly it went better than I expected. Back and knee cooperated. That was my big concern. Keep doing those exercises!
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some pizza. Powerade. Drove back to C'ville and then went to the football game. It was a full day. The 1.5 mile walk back to the car after the game was the hardest part of the day. Joints were starting to hurt quite a bit by then.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training.

Event comments:

Great course and event. Highly recommended. Great way to end my race season!

[Sunday morning final thoughts]

Wow, do I hurt today. Not so much the muscles - more the joints. Back feels surprisingly good. Knees and feet are in serious pain! Stairs-OMG.

Also downloaded the Garmin data. Pretty much as described above. Slowest mile was mile 23 at 11:47. Basically three segments of the race (as planned) - through mile 17.5 at or under 9min/mi pace. Miles 17-21 transition to shuffling, losing speed from 9:30 to 10:30 min miles. Miles 22-26 - just get it done. All under 12 though and "ran" the last two miles. 23 and 24 were definitely the low points. If anything, seeing the Garmin data made me feel better. Also just remembered I lost the ability to do "time math" around mile 22 or 23. Tried to figure out what I needed to do to break 4:10 and totally lost a mile in there somewhere. One thing to note is that my pace was better at the end of the marathon than on the HIM. My body, however, feels much worse the day after.

Last updated: 2011-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
04:14:01 | 26.2 miles | 09m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 101/201
Overall: 201/3787
Performance: Good
10K 56.12 13.1 1:58.32 20 mile 3:04.31 Haven't downloaded mile splits yet. But was basically on 4 hour pace through mile 17.5 or so and then started slipping.
Course: While I have enjoyed the 1/2 Marathon course in years past, the marathon course was fantastic. Two bridge crossings of the James river and a lovely run along the south side of the river in the 1st half of the course. Really got to see alot of Richmond. Have to say amazing support - the city (and I presume families) really came out for the race. Really helped.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-11-13 6:28 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: SunTrust Richmond Marathon

2011-11-13 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3900045

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: SunTrust Richmond Marathon
Congrats... glad you made it through.  Its always tough when your training hits a major snafu so late in the game.
2011-11-14 7:27 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Way to go Stu.  You met your highest goal!  Nice race plan.  Glad you pushed through at mile 23.
2011-11-14 8:48 AM

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC

Way to go Stu

-Steve

2011-11-14 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Stu,

Way to go!  I'm going to spot you the extra minute and called it ecstatic!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SunTrust Richmond Marathon Rss Feed