General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman World Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2012-06-23 7:01 PM
in reply to: #3900437

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman World Championship : Official Thread
What type of swimmer are you?   The speed suit really only depends on what your looking to do.  If your planning on racing, go for it. If your going to take a long time in T1 as in longer than 5 minutes... no need to spend the extra money in my opinion.  

2012-06-25 3:29 PM

User image

Regular
Allen, TX ( Basically North of Dallas)

Lottery slot officially validated!!!   Buffalo Springs 70.3 finished with my 5:50:19 and my lottery ticket is officially punched for Kona!!!!  Now all I have to do is train and get the extra 20lbs i just drug around Lubbock off of me!!!   Disco X-50 race on July 15th and Long Course Camp the weekend of Aug 11th!!!!

2012-06-25 4:01 PM

User image

Expert

Wow glad I saw this post just now.  I just validated my spot on Active as well.  BAM

2012-06-25 4:32 PM
in reply to: #4279621

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
Tsunami (Eddy) - 2012-06-25 3:29 PM

Lottery slot officially validated!!!   Buffalo Springs 70.3 finished with my 5:50:19 and my lottery ticket is officially punched for Kona!!!!  Now all I have to do is train and get the extra 20lbs i just drug around Lubbock off of me!!!   Disco X-50 race on July 15th and Long Course Camp the weekend of Aug 11th!!!!

Did you send the e-mail to the lottery address?  Did you hear anything back?  I sent them an e-mail per the directions but haven't heard anything.  I want to hear back before I cancel my other HIM (that I no longer need to do) but I only have two days to do that!  Hate to cancel it and then have something weird happen, ya know????

2012-06-25 8:53 PM

User image

Nashville

I was going to ask the same thing - I have the Muncie 70.3 next weekend and didn't know how to "validate" it once I finished.

Also, stupid question... I assume *just* finishing in the cut off time is all that matters to validate?  I'm battling a knee injury, and if I have to walk part of the run... I'd rather not injure myself more if all I need is 8:30.  (it won't take THAT long, but you get the idea).

2012-06-25 10:36 PM
in reply to: #4280116

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
kevinlbrown - 2012-06-25 8:53 PM

I was going to ask the same thing - I have the Muncie 70.3 next weekend and didn't know how to "validate" it once I finished.

Also, stupid question... I assume *just* finishing in the cut off time is all that matters to validate?  I'm battling a knee injury, and if I have to walk part of the run... I'd rather not injure myself more if all I need is 8:30.  (it won't take THAT long, but you get the idea).

The way I understand it you just need to be an official finisher...which means under 8.5 hours.

The "congratulations lottery winner" e-mail tells you to send an e-mail to a specific e-mail address with your validating info.  I sent that e-mail last night.  Haven't heard back yet and I specifically asked if I had to do anything else.  I'm guessing they independently check the race website for your results, but I put a screenshot of the results into my e-mail.

2012-06-26 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4280284

User image

Veteran
Valencia, Califonia
jldicarlo - 2012-06-25 7:36 PM

kevinlbrown - 2012-06-25 8:53 PM

The way I understand it you just need to be an official finisher...which means under 8.5 hours.

The "congratulations lottery winner" e-mail tells you to send an e-mail to a specific e-mail address with your validating info.  I sent that e-mail last night.  Haven't heard back yet and I specifically asked if I had to do anything else.  I'm guessing they independently check the race website for your results, but I put a screenshot of the results into my e-mail.

I did the same thing by sending a screen shot of my results and that was good enough. I got a response a couple of days afterwards.
2012-06-27 12:41 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

My reponse e-mail finally arrived.  I guess tonight it's time for my credit card to finally take a hit!

I should probably book my flight tonight too.

2012-07-17 3:11 PM

User image

Regular
Allen, TX ( Basically North of Dallas)
Just checking in to see how everyones training is going.  I have had to deal with 2 minor injuries that took me out for almost a week each.  Still really need to get some more weight off but there is time for that.  Going long this weekend on the bike and semi-long on the run.  Heat in Texas is perfect for training for Hawaii!!.  
2012-07-17 10:36 PM

User image

Nashville

Bummer to hear about the injuries Eddy.  I've been battling my same-ole injuries myself (IT bands, metatarsal pain, etc) but I haven't been kept out of too many workouts.  I've had to skip a few shorter runs because of the foot pain, but have been toughing it through the long runs just fine.

I'm in Week 8 of the Beginner IM plan.  Week 7 that I just completed was the biggest out of the first 13 weeks... so it was a bruiser and I'm happy to be in recovery week this week.  Ouch it hurt last week.

Otherwise, I completed the much-shortened Muncie 70.3 and I was told at the race by WTC folks that it will still count as my validating entry.  I've submitted it, but haven't heard back yet.  Wondering if it took a little time for you guys to hear back?

After another Olympic this weekend in Nashville, my races for the season are complete until Kona!

Here's hoping everything is going well with everyone!

2012-07-17 10:53 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

My training is going OK.  I seem to be over my injuries and now just need to build without any more! :D  I have my longest ride since last fall this coming weekend...5:15.  Woot.  I also registered to do the Hotter n' Hell 100 in Wichita Falls, TX in late August...hot, humid, and windy...ought to be GREAT Kona training.

It did take nearly a week to hear back about my qualifier.  I always wondered what they would do if a race was shortened.  That was my fear if I needed to use Steelhead as my qualifier...they have that history of the swim canceling.  But it isn't like they can fault you if the race is shortened.  I mean, there are only so many races and they can't expect you to sign up last minute for another one if yours is shortened.  But, OTOH, Muncie was REALLY shortened and if the whole point is to make sure you are in shape to finish the IM then that isn't really accomplished when the race is shortened THAT much.  But the whole validation thing is dumb when you have people that have been doing tris for years...they should know whether they can finish a full IM or not without having to "prove" it to WTC.  The validation thing should be for people that have NEVER done a HIM or longer....

2012-07-23 10:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Valencia, Califonia
My Boise 70.3 was shortened as well and still counted. They killed most of the bike course due to cold and snow in the upper plains of the ride. Fine by us. It was so cold people were just walking away up at the lake. You know its cold when you walk into 56 degree water and it feels warm.

Training for me is going great. No injuries and really enjoying it this time around even though its more intense. Luckily I have been off and the weather has been hot and nasty here. Just finishing a nice build phase before I leave town for 3 weeks.

Hope everybody else is right on track !!

Dale
2012-07-24 1:45 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Rode my first 70 miler since last fall over the weekend.  Goodness, I hope the roads at Kona are smooth.  The chipseal here is positively killing me.  I've ridden it lots before so it's nothing new...it just wears on you.  Messes with your ability to pedal constantly because your bike is vibrating so much, etc. etc.

Anyone know if the Kona roads are nice smooth asphalt?  I sure hope so...I could use the extra couple of mph!

Still only up to about 2 miles of running, but that is going to be the world's slowest build!

2012-07-24 2:04 PM

User image

Expert

Volume is really starting to ramp up now.  Rode 100 last weekend and then jumped off the bike and ran 7.  Getting close to 200 miles of riding a week and well over 40 miles of running.  Not to mention the 16K worth of swimming Im doing.  Lots of volume and lots of intensity.  Starting to feel the fatigue.  Hope to get to race day in one piece. 

This is just the beginning.  12 weeks to go and the volume will only go way up from here for me. 

2012-07-24 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4328232

User image

Count me in for Kona! I just qualified at IMLP
2012-07-24 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4328271

User image

Expert

03djmorris - 2012-07-24 3:20 PM Count me in for Kona! I just qualified at IMLP

You didn't just qualify you beat 95% of the PRO field.  LOL 

2012-07-24 9:31 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I asked someone for a description of the winds on the course...he asked me to repost here so that it didn't have to get repeated...ENJOY!

On the way out to Hawi it's not too bad As you climb up towards the turnaround it will be a cross coming down the volcano towards the ocean on your right. After you make the turn and descend is when it get's bad. It's a STRONG cross wind from the left now and it WILL push you around. Just watch the riders ahead of you to anticipate the gusts because it's gusty as opposed to steady. Once you get back out on the Queen K, around mile 80 or so, it a cross/headwind and depending on how the day is, can be annoying to crushing. We'll just have to wait and see on that. You do get brief respites as the road cuts through small hills and offers some protection but otherwise you are really exposed and feel it.

2012-07-25 8:55 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
The little birdie also told me that the roads are smooth as a baby's butt...which pleases me! :D
2012-07-25 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4328940

User image

Expert
jldicarlo - 2012-07-24 10:31 PM

I asked someone for a description of the winds on the course...he asked me to repost here so that it didn't have to get repeated...ENJOY!

On the way out to Hawi it's not too bad As you climb up towards the turnaround it will be a cross coming down the volcano towards the ocean on your right. After you make the turn and descend is when it get's bad. It's a STRONG cross wind from the left now and it WILL push you around. Just watch the riders ahead of you to anticipate the gusts because it's gusty as opposed to steady. Once you get back out on the Queen K, around mile 80 or so, it a cross/headwind and depending on how the day is, can be annoying to crushing. We'll just have to wait and see on that. You do get brief respites as the road cuts through small hills and offers some protection but otherwise you are really exposed and feel it.

Are you people not planning on riding sections of the course before the race?  I have to say, you probably don't want the race to be the first time you feel what those winds are like.  I've talked to several people who've done the race in the last 2-3 years and all of them said that it's at least worth it to: 1) Drive the course in a car and 2) get dropped of at Hawi and ride the section back to the Queen K to get a feel for it. 

2012-07-25 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4329502

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
gadzooks - 2012-07-25 9:06 AM

Are you people not planning on riding sections of the course before the race?  I have to say, you probably don't want the race to be the first time you feel what those winds are like.  I've talked to several people who've done the race in the last 2-3 years and all of them said that it's at least worth it to: 1) Drive the course in a car and 2) get dropped of at Hawi and ride the section back to the Queen K to get a feel for it. 

What part are you talking about?  I thought the whole way out to Hawi was on the Queen K?  That's kind of what the course description makes it sound like.  I wouldn't do a 50+ mile ride during race week!  I could see driving the course, but unless I end up getting some friends to come with me I wouldn't be able to get out to Hawi to ride in without riding out too.

2012-07-25 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4329551

User image

Expert
jldicarlo - 2012-07-25 10:24 AM

What part are you talking about?  I thought the whole way out to Hawi was on the Queen K?  That's kind of what the course description makes it sound like.  I wouldn't do a 50+ mile ride during race week!  I could see driving the course, but unless I end up getting some friends to come with me I wouldn't be able to get out to Hawi to ride in without riding out too.

What I am talking about is the sections of the course after the turn around in Hawi.  Im not talking about riding the whole thing just the descending part coming back to the Queen K.  Return Trip.

I guess if your out there by youself that would be tough if you don't have someone to drop you off and "follow you"

I was just looking at the course elevation.  I find it interesting that it's got more elevation gain than Lake Placid.  LOL

2012-07-25 9:36 AM
in reply to: #4329560

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
gadzooks - 2012-07-25 9:30 AM
jldicarlo - 2012-07-25 10:24 AM

What I am talking about is the sections of the course after the turn around in Hawi.  Im not talking about riding the whole thing just the descending part coming back to the Queen K.  Return Trip.

I guess if your out there by youself that would be tough if you don't have someone to drop you off and "follow you"

I was just looking at the course elevation.  I find it interesting that it's got more elevation gain than Lake Placid.  LOL

How far is "the descending part coming back to Queen K".  Per the course description you "turn left on the Queen K and travel out to Hawi".  That leads me to believe the entire part out to Hawi is on the Queen K.  So the descending part coming back to Queen K sounds like the entire section.  Is there a turn not listed on the couse description?

2012-07-25 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Very interesting. I am looking at that now and I thought I remember seeing a video description of the course that had a bit of a loop section at the top near Hawi.  Looking at the map on the official web site that's not the case.  Wonder what part I was looking at.  Unless somethings off there, which I doubt. 
2012-07-25 10:14 AM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Okay, my little birdie tells me that there is actually another turn on the way out to Hawi. I was asked to post for all:

"Around mile 40 or so at the town of Kawaihae, you make a left off the Queen K onto 270 and take that up to Hawi. The turnaround at Hawi is just a cone and you come back down the same way."

So, apparently WTC finds this turn insignificant enough to warrant including on the course description.

Edit: Looking at the map I can see where the Queen K (19) looks like it makes a right turn and the road that continues "straight ahead"/slightly left is 270.  I am officially unconfuddled now.  So, gadzooks you would recommend trying to ride the course from Hawi down to where the 270/19 intersection is?

Edited by jldicarlo 2012-07-25 10:17 AM
2012-07-25 10:15 AM
in reply to: #4329703

User image

Expert
Bryan Dunn strikes again. HAHAHAHA
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman World Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 6