General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-07-15 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3916289

User image

Milwaukee, WI
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread
Hope everyone had a great race! I had an epic unraveling on the run. Never fallen apart like that before!

Also saw someone cut the run course. Unbelievable. If I wasn't delirious by that point, woulda tried to memorize his number.

2012-07-15 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Grove,MN
Race for me went alright. run completely fell apart, but things happen. I am happy with my raced happy to successfully complete my first HIM
2012-07-15 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4312731

User image

Hugo, MN

Even Crowie had a rough day on the run. Crazy.

Good job everyone!

2012-07-15 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4312744

User image

Regular
Fun day today!!! Met my goals Of be safe, have fun and finish. I was absolutely amazed how fun this race was. It seamed like everyone in town was either paticating, volunteering or spectating. What a great race.
2012-07-15 9:46 PM
in reply to: #4312676

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI

JRL - 2012-07-15 7:51 PM Hope everyone had a great race! I had an epic unraveling on the run. Never fallen apart like that before!

Also saw someone cut the run course. Unbelievable. If I wasn't delirious by that point, woulda tried to memorize his number.

If the guy was in a Fleet Feet kit, it was me headed to the med tent..... Hot out there today!

2012-07-15 10:07 PM

User image

I also fell apart on the run, but i still finished and it was all about finishing safe and i could not be happier! Great race and a great group of volunteers.

2012-07-15 10:18 PM

User image

Veteran
South dakota
Had a awesome swim and bike, then the perform did bad things to my stomach and i ended up walking 3/4 of the run trying not to puke. Got it done though, i was in yellow and probably looked like a zombie if you happens to pass me. the guy in front of me on the last loop head his race end with the med tent, hope it was not any one here
2012-07-15 11:12 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
I had a great time! The water was crystal clear! My bike was slightly slower than what I was expecting but I had a great run. What was up with the wind? On the bike it felt like it was coming from 3 directions! Loved the crowd support on the run. Getting a hose to the face felt great!
2012-07-15 11:35 PM
in reply to: #4312842

User image

Regular
Chicago
WI_tri_guy - 2012-07-15 9:46 PM

JRL - 2012-07-15 7:51 PM Hope everyone had a great race! I had an epic unraveling on the run. Never fallen apart like that before!

If the guy was in a Fleet Feet kit, it was me headed to the med tent..... Hot out there today!

Look up bib #1671. THe 2:40 run pace is certainly interesting. I wonder if he got his AG trophy, or if that was caught.

2012-07-16 12:42 AM

New user
Norwalk, Ohio
This was my only HIM, but Racine put on a great race in a great city.  My goal was to finish and I did.  The swim was awesome, the bike decent, and the run pretty much sucked.  This seems to be the general trend.
2012-07-16 2:04 AM
in reply to: #4312945

User image

Expert

That is an epic cheat if that was the guy because he ended up taking 2nd overall in the race haha

doxie - 2012-07-15 11:35 PM

Look up bib #1671. THe 2:40 run pace is certainly interesting. I wonder if he got his AG trophy, or if that was caught.

2012-07-16 7:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Algonquin, IL

Keeping with the theme here, great swim, OK bike with shifting winds and a sufferfest run (walk really).  Happy I finished. 

End up in the medical tent only because they asked if I wanted ice.  I said sure; next thing you know, I am sitting a chair with a bag of ice on my head.  They did not keep me there or render any other assistance.  I was just happy to be in the shade and have a chair to sit in.  

2012-07-16 7:27 AM

User image

New user

Deerfield

Glad to see that I wasn't the only one hating the run yesterday, though I did see more people walking on my second loop than running.  Swim was outrageous good for what I was expecting.  T1 was great except for the half-mile run associated with it.  Bike 1st half was great.  Glad I wasn't the only one that thought the winds shifted (not in our favor) during the ride.  After seeing the med-evac at mi. ~35 I let up for a bit so as not to push my luck.  Started to wear out mile 40 and had to gut it the rest of the way.

The run sucked.  Wish I would have done better recon on the "flat" course.  And what's up with the photographer 3/4 up the 2nd hill???  I broke into a stride for the picture and then proceeded to walk up the rest of the hill.

End of the day, I finished.  5:47, and I felt great for it. 

2012-07-16 7:35 AM

Hot today but not as bad as last year I think.  Had a good swim, bike always seemed to be into the wind but nailed time there and ran the whole run except aid stations and 10 steps with a massive stomach stitch 100 yds from finish. Was not going to finish walking though- not the pic I would want to see.  PR'ed and broke 5 hrs- better race than expected.  Hope everyone had fun though- it is all about finishing more than anything else.  And to the post about the Perform on the run- I am with you I absolutely cannot touch the stuff on the run or it is coming back out.

CONGRATS TO EVERYONE WHO DID THIS!  Enjoy a rest day

2012-07-16 7:39 AM
in reply to: #4312945

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI
doxie - 2012-07-15 11:35 PM

Wow!  You'd think the RD would catch that....  Either the RD or the US Olympic team,  That's Freaky Fast.  Surprised

My number was 695, I was afraid that people were going to think I was cutting the course at the 7 mile mark.  But I had to DNF because of heat exhaustion.  Got to the point where I couldn't see very well and I felt like I was going to pass out.

2012-07-16 9:52 AM

User image

West Bend, WI

What a great day yesterday!!!  This was my first HIM and I had so much fun.  Surprised myself on both the swim and the bike (despite being against the wind at every turn).  I had a very painful knee for the week and a half leading up to yesterday and so I thought I would be walking most of the run, but actually didn't do too bad (2:21).  Looking forward to next year already.

CONGRATS to everyone who participated!  And thank you to all the awesome volunteers, you are very much appreciated!

2012-07-16 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran

Good Morning BT'ers... WHAT a GREAT day yesterday!!  So fun to see many of you out there and THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the fun B-day wishes.  It was certainly my happiest B-day yet!! Smile

My race went EXACTLY as expected!  The swim was GORGEOUS!!  Water was lovely...Did have quite a bit of "traffic" to manage and the zig-zagging backstroking man did help matters. But over all, I wanted to get out in under 40 min and was able to do that .  I think a bit of the sandy run might be included in my time thou, since my split reads 40:02... Bike was perfect (other than the crazy bumps).. I held off enough the 1st 25mi. that I had plenty in the tank for the 2nd half and came in a few ticks over 3:00hrs.  I wanted 3:10ish and think I was 3:02 but it was fine being a bit quicker than planned since my Galloway (scheduled run/walk) still turned out just right.  I ran a touch slower than typical but was able to keep my ratio the whole way (3:30/1:00).. I adjusted a few times for when I hit the aid stations but over-all it was perfect...LOVED the orange slices!!!  In retrospect, although I hated that it had been so hot in the weeks leading up to the race, I think it helped my body acclimate.  Yes, it WAS hot, but I felt fine... If it had been 70's or 80's the weeks prior and THEN that hot all of a sudden, I think it would have been a different story.   My biggest ailment was running in my SOAKED running shoes... (ick) but the sprinklers & cups of ice water I dumped on myself were well worth it ... They also could have had some extra sunscreen at the aid stations... will all that water spraying it would have been good to re-apply.

Overall, I had a goal of b/t 6:30-6:40 and came in at 6:36... so it was perfect. 

CONGRATS to all of you great folks!!  It was a pleasure meeting and racing with you and hope to see you all again out on another course someday soon 

Leslie

2012-07-16 10:20 AM
in reply to: #4313449

New user
Wauwatosa, WI

I picked a hell of race for my first Tri!  But, I finished!!! 6:55

Great Swim, Good Bike, and then a 3 hour walk/run-my run was longer than my bikeFrown, but honestly, I just wanted to finish and not end up in the hospital.

Awesome day, great volunteers, great competitors, great medical tent Tongue out (just needed those bags of ice, and a place to sit) & a wonderful massage.

Thanks Everyone! Rob

PS, does anyone know what the high temperature and heat index were yesterday?

PPS, did anyone else get to speak with Fireman Rob! What an amazing person. If you google "About Fireman Rob", you should be able to see his site.

Edited by Turner100 2012-07-16 10:26 AM
2012-07-16 10:34 AM

User image

Sioux Falls, SD
I came in exactly on my goal time of 5:45 so I was quite happy with hitting that goal after a bad run.  I didn't think the wind was bad at all on the bike, and I couldn't really ever figure out which direction is was coming from.  Swim was great, I was able to draft off other swimmers quite a bit and not have to sight so much which helped.  Unfortunately I cramped up quite a bit on the run and had to walk more than I wanted and came in a 9:58 miles.  Was quite dehydrated and had to get some medical attention shortly into my 8 hour ride home.  Awesome job by everyone out there to fight through their own personal obstacles and make the most of the day!
2012-07-16 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4313520

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-07-16 11:53 AM

Wonderful race!! It was my first ever triathlon and I loved it. After doing several half marathons, a full marathon and countless training runs, I FINALLY experienced my first "runners high". I'll definitely be doing a full Ironman sometime soon, it was too awesome to quit now.

My goal was just to finish but my dream would be to finish under 6 hours. Ended up PR'ing (I only have training to compare to) in both the swim and bike by a substantial margin (1 hour became 45 minutes and 3.5 hours became 3 hours respectively). I agree with several that the run was my worst. Planned on a 9-9:30 pace but ended with a 10 minute mile average. I should've looked more into a run/walk routine instead of the "exhausted shuffle" I used for several miles. I looked like an 80 year old man finishing Kona.

Overall, I LOVED the town, volunteers, route and everything about this HIM and I know I'll be back someday. Plus, if I add a few extra days, I can enjoy some beach time post-race.

2012-07-16 2:35 PM

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Congrats everyone! It was nice meeting some of you on Saturday. It was really nice to swim part of the course before hand. I think it made a big difference for me on race day!

I came in at 5:43. I'm pretty happy with that since I'm coming off a shoulder injury from a MTB crash this spring. Surprisingly my swim was good for me at 37:25. I actually PR'd in every segment of the race versus last year.

It was hot! The run was tough in the heat. My car said 96 defrees while I was packing up my stuff. The air may not have been that hot. I think they said 88. But the heat on the pavement was much more.

The bike course was rediculous! I don't know what kind of voodoo is on that course but the constant headwind was quite annoying and so was the rough roads. Still pulled off a 20.64avg pace though. Going off in the last wave is a serious disadvantage at Racine. Not only for the heat but the wind kicks up more as the day goes on there. So that course gets much harder as the day goes on.
2012-07-16 4:57 PM

Extreme Veteran
NW Arkansas
I had a horrible day. My worst triathlon to date, including two previous HIMs. Started cramping early on the bike and it became a nightmare. Both legs locked up completely at mile 47 and a few times before the finish. Cramped so bad it was several minutes before I could walk after getting off the bike. Ran/walked for 4 miles and finally walked to medical where I proceeded to get 3 bags of saline, 5 bottles of Perform and a coke before the cramps subsided.

Something went horribly wrong, detailed here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

I thought the water was just awesome, even though it did seem we swam into a current, though not a bad one. Very clear and a good temp.

The bike route had some of the roughest roads I've ever ridden on for that distance. Ka-thunk, ka-thunk, every 10-15 feet. The cracks just seemed deep and jarring. Wind was noticeable but not too bad, although it did shift as the morning went on. Overall a fun route. Just wish the roads were in better shape. I still finished with over 20 mph even with the cramps and stopping. I can see why so many people do well on it.

I was able to get through one loop of the run course and I really liked it. If I hadn't had issues, it would have been a great course. The local support along the route is just outstanding. Enough cannot be said about it.

Racine is an awesome venue. The local support, volunteers and course are just awesome. I wish it was a closer drive for me!

Lastly, I must comment on the medical staff. They were so incredible and attentive and helpful. I hope I never have to visit one again, but if I do I hope they are at least half as good as the one in Racine.
2012-07-16 6:00 PM
in reply to: #4314622

Extreme Veteran

Awesome job everyone.  It was brutal out there.  Run was hard!  I finished with best time of the 3 times I've done the race.  6:49, which is damn good for me.  Was happy just to finish.

It may not have been as hot temp wise as last 2 years, but it was more oppressive.  More humid maybe?  That bike course will take it out of you.  Its so hot, no shade at all and that shifting headwind sucks it out of you.  I was hammering salt stick pills, power gels, gatorade everything. Still got some quad cramps at start of run.  Bananas (warm, ewwww) at first couple water stops were the key to getting legs back.

Even pros had off day, what only the winner finished in under 4 hours and he was 3:59:xx.  And this is a flat course those dudes can just crush.  Craig Alexander at 4:15?  He won a couple years ago with like a 3:45.  The heat hit everyone!

Maybe next year will be different, but this race is starting to get a reputation as almost too hot. Well at least they didnt cut it like they did Muncie.

2012-07-16 6:00 PM

Veteran
Congrats to the Racine finishers!  Anyone know where they list the World Championship qualifiers?  I am M30-34 and just curious what it would have taken to qualify.  Thanks for the help!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Racine : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27