No Sweat Racing
68F / 20C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 27m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Showered and got dressed 2 hours before race time. Had a banana, Oatmeal Raisin Clif Bar, and a Red Powerade. All my stuff was in the truck already, so off I went. Got there in plenty of time since I only live 3 or 4 miles away. Got my race packet, got inked, and set up my transition area. Felt weird not to have a bike with me.

No chips for this race. Apparently there were only a handful of people signed up a few weeks before, so the RD just planned to use manual timing. Then a hundred or so signed up, but it was too late to get chips. Good thing I have a watch.

Got my borrowed wetsuit on, found David (davidb), Tommy (zia_cyclist), and Emily (emilyindallas). Looked around for Aaron (JeepFleeb) and Haley (Coment) but they were nowhere to be seen.
Event warmup:

Had about 10 minutes to get in the water, so I figured I better check out the wetsuit and see how it felt. Water was a little chilly, but the suit kept me nice and toasty. Just swam to the first buoy and back. There was going to be a 30 minute pause between the prerace meeting and the start of the long course wave, so there really wasn't much use in a swim warmup.

Went back to transition for the prerace meeting. Laughed at all the 10-15 year old boys in their Speedos. They were shivering uncontrollably. Was very glad I had the wetsuit. Aaron and Haley finally showed up about 5 minutes before the first wave (Haley's), so I didn't get the 24 update I needed.
Swim
  • 32m 12s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Almost forgot to start my watch again. Remembered with about 30 seconds before the start. Had to reset it from my last workout.

The first loop seemed to last forever. An endless assortment of slaps, kicks, and crotch shots that define open water swimming. Didn't go out too hard on purpose, which helped me keep my breathing pretty controlled. Looked down at my watch as I rounded the last buoy on lap 1 and it was just over 16 minutes. Hey, not bad!

2nd lap didn't seem to take as long. Less traffic, obviously, so I felt pretty comfortable. Navigation was a bit whompy-jawed, but never anything too off-course. Just minor corrections. Pretty sure I whammed Tommy a couple of times while he passed me. My bad. Arms were burning pretty nicely heading into the last turn, but my legs felt great thanks to the wetsuit. They weren't dragging behind me like a sack of taters.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Beat my swim goal by almost 3 minutes.

Need to make a checklist for each race. Item #1 - Reset watch.
Transition 1
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

Had a little trouble getting my suit off. Didn't stick on my heels, but the right leg wouldn't go over my calf. Guess that's what I get for being so muscular (sound of canned laughter).

Felt very strange not to be putting on bike shoes and a helmet.

Got into my socks and shoes but forgot to dry my feet off. Oops. Then on with the race belt and sunglasses and I was gone.

Body Glide on my calves next time I do a wetsuit swim. Did my ankles, arms, and neck, but not calves. Good experience.

Dry feet off. Minor pruning during the run.
Run
  • 52m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Subpar run. Got a cramp in my side the first 3 minutes that never went away. Seemed to get worse each step. Bah, what doesn't kill me makes me slower.

Hit the 1 mile mark at 4:45. What? "There's no way that's a mile," I yelled to the kids at the aid station. They kind of shrugged as I went past. Did my split anyway knowing something was up. Went past the marker about an 1/8 mile to a turnaround point.

Only when I got back to the aid station did I realized that it was the one mile mark alright, but only after you come back to it. Crap. Now I was frustrated. The stitch in my side didn't help. I could tell it wasn't happening today so I reminded myself it was just a training run. Got back to my LSD run pace and tried to enjoy things. Saw Aaron as I finished my first lap and tossed him an empty Accel Gel (thanks for tossing that for me BTW flag boy).

Ran the second lap with a 40-something named Richard. He was training for IMCDL. Kind of made my goal race of an Oly seem rather inadequate. Stopped for some water at 1 mile, Gatorade at 2 miles. The stitch was killing me. Let Richard go with about half a mile left. I still was planning a ride later this afternoon, so pushing to the finish would be a bad idea. Coasted to the finish and tried to smile as I came in. Dissapointing run, but at least I never stopped to walk any of it. Last year I would have.

Not have someone in my ribcage with a chainsaw.

Know the mile markers better. I knew the course by heart since I ride all around there all the time, but the 1 mile marker really screwed with my head.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit drinking my Endurox. Stood around with Aaron, Haley, and David. Waited for Tommy and Emily to come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps.

Event comments:

Not bad for a first time race. Good practice for open water swimming. I'll be back next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-03-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:12 | 1640 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintana Roo Utlra John
Course: 2 loop semi-rectangular course in a private man-made lake.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time:  02:15
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Average
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:52:58 | 06.21 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Lap 1 - 26:04 Lap 2 - 26:54
Course: 2 moderately hilly loops around the surrounding neighborhood.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-04-30 5:20 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: No Sweat Aquathon
Race photos here

Edited by apw0397 2006-04-30 5:21 PM

2006-05-01 9:41 AM
in reply to: #410468

User image

Expert
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: No Sweat Aquathon
I think all things considered you had a pretty good race. And it was great practice/confidence booster knowing you can cover that length of an OW swim.

Those pictures are a riot. You know that's why there is a long tail on the zipper, right? So you can pull it up yourself!
2006-05-01 10:33 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Andy,

Nice meeting you at the Aquaton.  I know what you mean about the side stitch.  Same thing happened to me and my HR would not come down.  It must be running off of the swim.  I haven't had this problem running off the bike. 

Anyway, your run is still a fast run in my book.

TJ

2006-05-01 12:29 PM

User image

Regular
Houston, TX

Awesome job!  It was great to meet you.  Your run time is fast in my book, too

You are in great shape for your oly.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » No Sweat Aquathon Rss Feed