General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Carrollton, Georgia
United States
Blue Sky Sports
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 20s
Overall Rank = 124/294
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/14
Pre-race routine:

Packed the night before. Loaded up car w/ bikes, gear, wife (3rd place age group!) that AM and headed to John Tanner. Ate along the way. Once there we pumped up the tires, grabbed the tri bags and headed for T0. Fretted over the wetsuit that AM. Didn't want to suffer a 4 min. T1 on such a short race. Besides my swim couldn't handle the extra minutes!
Event warmup:

Went sans wetsuit and headed to the shore. Waded around with Steamy and Deb and swam about 100 yds. Listened to them complain about the cold water about 50 times. Shivered through the Star Spangled Banner and waited for the never-ending race instructions. I mean it's a lake. Go left until you hit the shore again :)
Swim
  • 16m 48s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really disappointed in my swim. The more I work on it the slower I am. I made a mistake in starting in the back. For a short race like this I need to exhibit more confidence and get ahead of the backstrokers and buoy grabbers. It definitely cost me. I didn't start concentrating on my stroke, form and breathing until the last 250M or so.
What would you do differently?:

Start more in the middle of the group. Right behind the fast guys. And focus on form and stroke earlier. Don't worry about the pack.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

My only screwup here was the socks. I rolled them up and set them in my shoes but one got turned around. When I rolled it onto my foot it was upside down. I spent a few extra seconds adjusting it. Heard Deb shout behind me as I was exiting T1. Knew she must have had a good swim to catch up to me. Had to motor to make up for the swim.

Recheck my gear one last time before heading to the beach. My T1 is getting better though.
Bike
  • 35m 22s
  • 11.2 miles
  • 19.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Was much happier about my ave. MPH. Tried to really ride hard and probably could've gone a bit faster. Ate and drank early and threw a gel with a couple of miles to go to prepare for the run. Dismounted with my feet out of the shoes for the first time and really liked it. Definitely helped my T2.

Focus on cadence and pedal stroke. As I continue to learn how to cycle I know I can go faster. Still a little worried about my knee acting up.
Transition 2
  • 49m 5s
Comments:

Happy with a fast T2. Technique is getting better here and looking forward to nipping a couple more seconds off.

Get that helmet off faster.
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I liked my run. Am currently fight a case of plantar fasciitis which was annoying. Foot went numb with about two miles to go. Last 1.1 was 7:36 so I was motoring. Didn't like my HR being up so high though.

Relax and open up a little bit. Bring that HR down with some regulated breathing.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished strong and walked over to meet Steam. We went down the hill to cheer on Deb and another friend's husband. Afterwards changed for the trip home. Grabbed a beer and watched Steam and Deb collect their hardware. That was cool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim. Swim. Swim.

Event comments:

I liked this race and would attend again. Not wanting to spend a lot of time with the sprints but I liked the three courses and the locale. Post race awards ceremony was SLOOOWWWWWW. I hope they don't expand though. That swim would be a 'dog pile on the rabbit' with any more people.

Last updated: 2006-05-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:48 | 656 yards | 02m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/14
Overall: 0/294
Performance: Below average
Didn't really check the HR data on the way out.
Suit: Tri suit only
Course: Counter-clockwise triangle w/ standard issue brown GA lake water. The start really was problematic. Major choke point with the floating boom for the park swim area. 50 yards out people were flopping on their backs and breast stroking, etc. It was a melee until the backstretch.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:22 | 11.2 miles | 19.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/14
Performance:
Rode over my LT at around 165.
Wind: Little
Course: Decent course with a slight downhill at the front end. Still had some hills that were tough enough to raise the HR and slow people down. Roads were in pretty good shape. A couple of cool sharp turns made it exciting.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 49:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:44 | 03.1 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/14
Performance: Good
HR was up around 171. Way to high for a longer distance.
Course: Pretty cool out and back loop around lake and through a gravel/dirt country lane. A couple of tough little hills made for a challenging 5K.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-02 12:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

2006-05-02 9:00 AM
in reply to: #411938

User image

Veteran
Smyrna
Subject: RE: Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park

Killer race!  Your work over the winter has definitely paid off.  Your bike avg is awesome.

It was fun racing with you and Deb.  It's so exciting that she took home some hardware!

Take care of that foot.  West Point fun will be here before we know it.

2006-05-02 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Great job! But trust me, you did not want to be in the middle of that pack. If I'm ever in a similar situation, I think I'll try the front, outside area and swim wide of the pack. But not in the middle, never again.
2006-05-02 1:25 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Great job! Sounds like a fun race - I can't believe you guys went without a wetsuit in that temperature (brave!). I'm way to much of a wuss for that!   Fabulous overall time - congratulations!!!
2006-05-02 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Great job! I agree -- middle of the pack is not fun. I rather choose back of the pack or swim way left of the buoy... but then, swimming is my worst event. Alas!
2006-05-03 6:24 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Joe,

All I can think of when I swim is the Lake Lanier OW Swim. I think we are cursed until we conquer that one. Plan on swimming slow until that is accomplished. There is just no other way around it. Also, awesome race. Those are all good times. I assume this is a sprint distance PR for you? What you need now, is a good data analysis to break down where all 3 of you stand in comparison to each other in this race. No, I'm not for hire anymore.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri the Parks - John Tanner State Park Rss Feed