InTraining
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 19s
Overall Rank = 230/529
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 65/150
Pre-race routine:

My last run was on Thursday which was an easy 5k so I was well rested. I drank a heap of water all through Saturday which meant I visited the toilet a few times that night and didn't get the best nights sleep but at least I knew I was fully hydrated.
Event warmup:

I arrived nice and early to the race start and even had some time to check out the expo and window shop for a new pair of shoes. I caught up with a couple of work buddies and we discussed race strategies and decided to try and stay in front of the 1h 45m pacer if we could. We were also discussing gel strategy when I realised I had left my gels in my bag which I had just put into the baggage tent. I raced back to the baggage tent, grabbed my gels and then raced back to the start line. That's one way to warm up but I'm sure there are better ways.
Run
  • 1h 43m 19s
  • 21 kms
  • 04m 55s  min/km
Comments:

The race start was pretty congested and I spent the best part of the first 5k's trying not to trip over other runners and also trying to past people along a very narrow track. At about the 6 or 7k mark everybody had spread out a bit and only then was I able to get into a good rhythm. Although I was in front of the 1h 45m pacer as planned I was sure that he was behind schedule. I picked up my pace as I knew the pacer was also going to have to lift his to finish on his scheduled time. By the half way mark I was feeling good and a check of my watch showed I had managed to make up time. By about the 14k marker I was close to 2 minutes in front of the pacer and looking good for a sub 1h 43m race time. I had taken on gels at the 8k and 14k markers and had tried to drink some water as well. I really was only swallowing a very small amount of water and spitting out most of it (I’ll need to work on my running and drinking technique if I'm to run a marathon). The last 7k's seemed to go on for ever and although I tried to pick up the pace and finish with a long sustained sprint, in the end I could only manage a sprint of about 500m. As I crossed the line and checked my watch I was a tiny bit disappointed to see that I had slowed down slightly over the last couple of k's and missed my sub 1h 43m target by 20s.
What would you do differently?:

Position myself much closer to the front of the pack at the start of the race so I don't get boxed in by slower runners. I also need to work on drinking more water while running.
Post race
Warm down:

My warm down was pretty ordinary as per normal as I didn't stretch but just stood around chatting, drinking water and eating some fruit (which made me feel sick, almost puked).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I really only focused solely on this race about 2 weeks ago (I was training for one last Tri but that didn't happen) so with the limited training I am wrapped in my finishing time.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race as everything seemed to go fairly well and I've learnt a few things to take with me to my next race planned for July. I think it's time to challenge myself to run a full marathon now that I've successful completed 2 half marathons so.....

"I, pzdipr, will run the Gold Coast Marathon in July 2006" that was pretty easy to type but I'm sure it will be harder to complete. Wish me luck.

Last updated: 2006-05-01 12:00 AM
Running
01:43:19 | 21 kms | 04m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 0/150
Overall: 0/529
Performance: Good
Course: The course is a mostly flat, out and back loop course along the scenic Brisbane River. All events start at the Southbank cultural forecourt. First you run downriver to cross the Goodwill Bridge and then proceed upriver on the bikeway along Coronation Drive to the Regatta Hotel. The return leg runs around the Botanic Gardens and after crossing the Goodwill Bridge, returns past the finish line at Southbank. You then do another out and back section along Riverside Drive at West End before returning to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-02 12:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Brisbane Half Marathon

2006-05-02 6:13 PM
in reply to: #411940

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Brisbane Half Marathon
Great race Paul! Thanks for the details. Having spent an afternoon or three at the Regatta Hotel I know exactly where your course took you!

I really do hope that you are stoked with your time and know that you have it in you to run the full and run it well.
2006-05-03 2:54 AM
in reply to: #411940

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: RE: Brisbane Half Marathon

Wow Hey paul  great race!  what a fantastic time.  I can only dream of runnign that fast in my him on the weekend.

Yep its easy to type things like I will run a marathon, or I will do a Half Ironman.  But if you do the training I'm positive you will be writing you have run a marathon!!  If I can get myself to the race start of a Half then you can do a marathon! 

great race!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brisbane Half Marathon Rss Feed