BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Playmobil31's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2012-02-24 11:51 PM
in reply to: #3943068

User image

Aurora , Illinois
Subject: RE: Playmobil31's Group - CLOSED

Nice job David.

As for me, I have my first swim lesson tomorrow morning, and and doing my first Tri in the afternoon.  The tri is indoor, so 10 minute swim, 30 minute bike and 20 minute run.  Farthest distance wins. 

Here goes nothing.

2012-02-25 3:46 PM
in reply to: #4065653

New user
Ireland

James, sounds like you are in a great place for the HM, mind the calf and I am sure you will nail that race and PB it too!

Todd, great job on the swimming just be confident and you will improve in leaps and bounds!

Long Run completed today (58 mins, 5.90 miles).

My brother arrived unannounced (to me, my wife knew) this morning, flying visit he lives near Corning up State NY and I havn't seen him for 18 months so great surprise! However, I managed to get my run in and also went to pool with him, and family. However, just had a curry and am drinking beers so the bike ride with Tri Club at 9:30 in the morning is under pressure at the moment but as I write this post I intend to get out at 9:30. If I don't make it I will bike later in the day.

Cheers

David

Edited by meadowsd 2012-02-25 3:48 PM
2012-02-25 5:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia

Todd, how the indoor tri went ??

For all of you, congrats on your work, you're sticking to your commitment, that's great !

Soon enough, it will be the end of the winter and the start of the outdoor rides and the race season

Keep up the good work !

2012-02-25 6:46 PM

User image

Aurora , Illinois

Indoor Tri was FREAKING SWEET!  I came to 2 realizations during the event.  1) that the tri bug bites hard.  Had more fun than I have had in a very long time.  Can't wait to do the next one.  and 2) I was vastly unprepared for the swim.  I did every stroke I know to make it through the 10 minutes and my arms feel like jello.  This will not happen again.  I realized that I have to train more to achieve my goals.

But again, I had a BLAST. 

Many thanks to you guys for all of your help and support.

Now, back to training. 

Happy training everyone.

2012-02-27 11:03 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

David - wow, what a neat and special surprise the visit from your brother is!  Very cool!  And to continue to squeeze workouts in: big kudos!

Todd - big congrats on your first tri! So happy you enjoyed it (well, maybe except for the noodley arms part ) So when is the next one?

I have probably 2 more appointments with the ART guru for my leg/hip this week, and then will hopefully be cleared to be back to business as usual.  Yesterday I did a little (cold) road testing with a tri bike my friend may be selling me, if I want it.  It felt pretty good, and a lot less twitchy and  squirrelly than I was fearing.  I want to take it for a more truth-telling ride (I was just cruising around relatively flat areas to get used to it yesterday) with hills and such before I make a decision.  Plus I wouldn't mind taking it to a bike fitter and having a professional eye decide if the bike is a good size, etc.  Of course if I buy the bike I will get a proper fitting.

2012-02-28 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4068447

New user
Ireland

Todd, well done on the Tri!

Melanie, thank you for the note it was a great surprise but as I thought.... I had to get the run in on the Saturday because it was 4:00am before we finished up and so Sunday was a wash out and wasn't able to get out on the bike due to weather and more to the point my head!!!!!

Still that is it now I am back focused and got the medium run in today. I have meetings in town tomorrow and so I will run again and then short bike and swim Thursday.

I need to confirm the races for this season over the next couple of weeks and sign up.

Oh! Nearly forgot, I ordered a wetsuit last Friday BlueSeventy due in next couple of days so can't wait to test it out in the open water.

Happy training to all!

Cheers

David

Edited by meadowsd 2012-02-28 12:45 PM

2012-02-29 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ft. mitchell ,al / columbus ga

I have been doing a lot swimming lately. and finally starting to get there.  been avging about 13-140 per 100.   fastest is 115.     have a 500m time trial thursday

2012-03-01 1:44 PM
in reply to: #4072296

New user
Ireland

Jason, great job on the swimming, keep it up!

So, my BlueSeventy wetsuit arrived this morning and it fits like a glove very pleased with it and can't wait to get into open water with it.

Also, took out the borrowed Trek 1000 for my first spin today. it's a 58cm frame and I have the seat as high as it will go but it felt good and I completed 14.85 miles (including 3 long inclines) in 1hr which is 11 mins faster than on the MTB. Very impressed with the change in overall speed and especially uphills. All I need to do now is see what deal my colleague can offer me on it. Has anyone got any idea on prices? I am not sure but it is between 2-4 years old and a Trek 1000 in US Postal Discovery Channel colours.

Keep up the great work everyone!

Cheers

David

2012-03-02 11:39 AM

New user

David, thats exciting to get your wetsuit and have it fit right from the start.  I can't wait to get a wetsuit and see the difference swimming with one.

I have been MIA for almost a month now because of work.  I am an accountant and we had been working 16 hour days almost all of February trying to get an opinion out the door.  Well we finally finished and life is changing back to normal so the past few days I have gotten in the pool and on the bike. 

During that stretch I was able to find a day to run so I went for my first outdoor run in a while around my neighborhood (a very hilly neighborhood).  When I came back I was tired but felt good.  However, the next day I got a pain in my foot that hasn't gone away in just over a week.  I knew I needed new shoes for a while, so after the pain started I went to a local shoe store to get a proper fit and those have helped when I try to run now, but my foot still starts to hurt after a mile so I am taking sometime off from running.  

Luckily my official training plan doesn't start until next week and the first run isn't until Thrusday so for the next couple of days I will focus on the bike and the swim.  This morning I got in the pool for the second time since January (the other time was yesterday morning) and I was able to pick up where I left off a month ago by swimming a mile without stoping (open turns) so I am glad that I didn't miss out on too much during the time off and I'm ready to really kick it into gear next week and hoping my foot heals over the next few days.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give an update since it's been a while.

Edited by dvilliotti 2012-03-02 11:40 AM
2012-03-03 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4077210

New user
Ireland

Great to have you back and mind that foot, the last thing you want is a long term niggling injury. Yes, cant wait to try the wetsuit out.

Great swim session last night (2300m) good pace throughout all the sets we completed.

Out for my first group ride with the Tri Club this morning a mild but windy day. Managed to keep up with them but found riding in a group a little strange at first (plenty braking on my part that was probably not required as I thought I was getting too close). Still totally enjoyed it and from now on that Saturday mornings will become my long bike session.

Long run tomorrow and I am glad to be fully back into my training after the bug and brothers visit. I am off the beer for Lent (apart from the one lapse last week).

Weight is starting to move down again too after plateauing for the last couple of weeks!

Have a great weekend!

Cheers

David

2012-03-07 1:51 AM

User image

Aurora , Illinois

When it rains, it pours (literally)

Woke up this morning to hit the pool for a swim today, and as i'm about to walk out the door i hear a pop coming from my upstairs bathroom.  I walk upstairs and find water SPRAYING out of the water line that connects to the toilet.  Rushed back downstairs and into the basement to turn off the water main.  Get back to the main level and it is literally raining on me as the water from the bathroom above is now leaking all through the ceiling. 

Jump 9 hours later.  I have 2 huge holes in my ceiling, most of my carpet ripped up on the second floor, and 5 GIANT fans and 3 de-humidifiers scattered throughout my house.  Needless to say, I did not get my swim in this morning, but i did get a trainer ride in tonight after work.  And those Giant fans are awesome when your on the trainer.

On a positive note, got my darling wife to sign up for a tri also.  Can't wait to train with her.

Happy training everyone

Edited by toddaduran 2012-03-07 1:52 AM

2012-03-07 9:59 AM

User image

Pennsylvania
Todd - of course your wife decided to do a tri with you now that you installed that indoor pool! But seriously, sorry to hear of your bad plumbing luck and congrats on getting a new training partner!
2012-03-07 2:10 PM
in reply to: #4084604

New user
Ireland

Todd, I feel your pain, I walked into a flood at our holiday home New Years Eve 2010! House was flooded out and had to be taken back to first fix..... total nightmare! I hope you get it back in shape real soon.

Great news that your wife has joined you, mine runs and cycles but not a great swimmer and still says she has no interest in competing but who knows..............

So, Medium run yesterday and have a slight strain in my right calf but compelted 48 mins. Out on the bike today and did 18 miles and then swimming, 2 x 750m first in 15mins and second in 17 mins (some traffic in my lane) how dare other people use the pool!!!!

I got talking to a guy from the Tri Club at the pool and it looks like my first Tri will be a Club one on the 9th April consisting of:

600m pool swim

18km Cycle

4km run

Then I can call myself a Triathlete!

Hope everyone else is fit and training hard too!

Cheers

David

Edited by meadowsd 2012-03-07 2:11 PM
2012-03-08 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4085173

User image

Pennsylvania
David - very exciting that you have your first tri in your sights!  Take care of that calf.
2012-03-09 1:42 AM
in reply to: #4087063

New user
Ireland

Melanie, thanks for that.

I am getting carried away with myself as I registered for another Tri last night. I am competing in the "Quiet Man Triathlon" in Cong, County Mayo in it inaugeral running. Set in the surrounding of Ashford Castle and Cong village where the 1952 film starring John Wayne & Maureen O'Hara was filmed. If you ever get the chance to visit both the Castle and area it is magnificent!

The race details:

http://www.sportsmanager.ie/cake/gaa2/tlt/contentPage/89957/quiet_man_triathlon

Ashford Castle details:

http://www.ashford.ie/?gclid=CPrgqaio2a4CFc4LtAodJ1_HeQ

Calf still tight but I am minding it.

Just back from the swim tonight, great session totalled 2350m in the hour!

Out on the bike tomorrow morning with the Tri Club.

Enjoy everyone and have a great weekend!

Cheers

David

Edited by meadowsd 2012-03-09 5:17 PM
2012-03-15 3:32 AM
in reply to: #4087965

New user
Ireland

Well its very quiet on here I presume it is because you are all training so hard!!!!!

James, have you run the HM yet? How did you get on?

Melanie, I presume it still feels great to be a Black Belt?

Todd, I hope the house is sorted and is your wife pushing you in training? What is the prize for the one who wins the Tri?

How are the rest of you getting on?

My calf feels ok again now so planning a run at lunchtime (avoided running for a week to rest it). I did cycle and swim though so still coming along great. The deal with the borrowed Trek 1000 road bike is that I found it quicker than my MTB but I think the 58cm frame was a little small for me, I'm 6'3" (I had the seat post at it's max position) so I am handing it back to my colleague. Incidently he wants €370 ($480) for it but I would not give more than €250 ($325), no warrenty and a couple of real scrapes in the frame. So, with regard to racing I am back on the plan to use my MTB (Schwinn Sidewinder (1995)). I have dropped it in for new gear and brake cables and ordered some 26x1.1 slicks for it which will hopefully give me a quicker ride. Should hopefully get the tyres this week so be able to try them out over the weekend. I will let you know how I get on with timings v road bike.

Keep working hard, "No Pain, No Gain!"

Cheers

David 

Edited by meadowsd 2012-03-15 3:35 AM

2012-03-15 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Sorry have been very busy lately... I'm going to move jobs and location so it is a bit challenging when you add training time on top of that

I hope everybody's doing well training wise. You should be starting going outside now for biking as the weather getting warmer.

You should also have a good vision of your season ahead of you. Now will be a good time to start to practice nutrition and race preparation.

I would suggest you to prepare a check list to facilitate the race day.

Enjoy your upcoming week end, temps are warm in Toronto, time to go outside

Cheers

2012-03-15 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Maybe it's warming up where you are but in the Pacific NW, it sure isn't...one storm after another with driving wind and rain, and usually a wintry mix of snow and hail thrown in....

I completed my HM last Saturday - it went real well and I had a great time - fantastic experience.  Finished in 2:15:12 which was 5 mins ahead of my target time.  Though, realistically with only 8/9 weeks of training I was happy just to finish...but I can't wait for the next one.

You can check out my race report at:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=430162

It's a bit wordy mind you!!

Hope everyone is well and season preperations are in full swing...Cheers!

James

2012-03-16 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4098634

New user
Ireland

Alex, no problem hope the job and move go well for you. We have to remember for most of us this is a hobby and takes second place to making our living and home life!

James, excellent and congratulations on your HM! The race log is brilliant and gives a great insite into your race day, well done!

All good here, just back from swim!

Thoroughly enjoying the training and looking forward to 9th April to put it all together in my first Tri with the club.

Have a great weekend and Happy St. Patrick's Day (17th March) to you All from here in Ireland!

Cheers

David

2012-03-17 2:16 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

David - yes, Happy St. Patrick's Day to you and the others as well!  Sorry to hear the bike didn't work out for you, but you were smart to not try to make it work when it clearly wasn't right.  Glad to hear training is going well, and the tri you posted info about looks magnificent!  If only I were rich and able to travel at will, I'd join you!

James - BIG congrats on the completed HM!! Way to beat your target time, YEAH!!!  Very impressive, and with your limited training, too!

Alex - good luck with your new job/life adventures.  Good luck trying to keep up with training, too, but realize that sometimes something just gotta give.  Don't overdo it and burn yourself out.

Yes, it still feels very good to be a black belt.  It's one of those experiences that makes you say, "I made it through that, I can make it through just about anything". 

Warmer weather is here in my part of the world, making it more pleasureable to be running and riding outside.  I just got back from the innaugural ride on my tri bike and all I can say is wow.  It is almost like needing to learn how to ride a bike all over again!  Definitely need some more practice rides.  I was fine when no traffic was around, but when I was in aero with cars passing me and not a nice shoulder, well, let's just say it's good I didn't end up in a heap in the ditch!

Tomorrow is a 5K for which I am hoping on a new present-day PR (in the past 10 years).  Also getting some swim help from a buddy in the am first.  Then maybe after the 5K take Rico, as I have named the new tri-bike, for another spin and take advantage of the warm, nice weather.

Keep up the good work everyone and be safe!

Edited by melbo55 2012-03-17 2:17 PM
2012-04-10 11:12 AM
in reply to: #4100725

New user
Ireland

Well, I am not sure if you are read this thread but thought I would just post the result of my first ever Triathlon which was on Monday 9th April and was a Super Sprint run by our Tri Club for members only and meant as an introduction for all us newbies and anyone else who wants the challenge.

Longford Tri Club Super Sprint

500m Swim (pool)

16km Bike

4km Run

My times as follows:

Swim: 10:18 (10 out of 36)

T1:       1:24

Bike:   36:47 (22 out 0f 36)

T2:       0:31

Run:    19:36 (18 out of 36)

Total: 1:09:13 (Overall 18 out of 36).

Was very happy with my performance.

What could I have done better:

Goggles full of water for all 500m of the swim (silly mistake)

Bike - 15+ year old Mountain Bike made it slower than had I had a road bike and could probably have improved by 6 mins moving from overall 18 into top 10!

Run went really well catching one of the guys who finished bike 3 mins ahead of me.

Thoroughly enjoyed my first race and a great introduction to whats involved especially in transition where at T1 I should have sat down to put socks and runners on instead of wobbling about!

Hope you are all well and training and racing hard!

If we are finished here on this thread then please do keep in touch a lets see where we are at the end of the season!

Cheers

David

Edited by meadowsd 2012-04-10 11:14 AM

2012-04-10 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4140810

User image

Extreme Veteran

Dave,

really proud of you. This first one is only the first of many I'm sure !

I hope everybody's doing fine training wise. Race season is around the corner for the most of us!

I hope you enjoyed your base training and I'm sure you'll enjoy racing this year.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any question, I'll be glad to try to answer.

See you around in a race, in training or in the bar

Enjoy life !

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Playmobil31's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 11