General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT#4 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT#4 - CycleTime Trial

View Member's Race Log
Denver, Colorado
American Cycling Association
55F / 13C
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 58m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Cat. 4
Age Group Rank = 20/52
Pre-race routine:

Got to CC nice and early. I wanted to focus this week on calming down and relaxing before the race. I think I've been too hyped up before the races and it hasn't really helped my performance, hasn't hurt that much either, but what's the point of getting all rev'd up if it doesn't make you go faster?
Event warmup:

Walking around, light stretching, drinking water and gatorade, and then a solid 30 minute warm up session on the trainer. This is the part where I started to notice that my breathing, RPE and HR were not matching up. I was doing spin ups that had my legs burning and my breathing rapid, and my HR was in low Z2. Didn't think too much of it, since it was just a warm up, but I never could get my HR above Z2 during the warm up.
Bike
  • 26m 10s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 24.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay, here's where the HR thing became really obvious. Sprinting out of the start, I usually get my HR up to LT (176) immediately. Tonight, couldn't get my HR above 160 for the first two miles, and I was pushing the same as I do every week. Kind of freaked me out frankly, but I didn't really back off, if anything I pushed harder to make sure it wasn't just me being a wuss. Nope, quickly became clear that no matter how hard I pushed, it just wasn't going to get near my previous LT numbers. Which is when I decided a few things (yeah, right in the middle of the race): (1) No matter what else my body is telling me, I'm overtrained, (2) I would finish out the TT hard, but I wasn't running afterward, and (3) No workouts tomorrow or Friday, and I'll see how I feel on Saturday. With all of those things decided, and my mind at rest a little, I was able to push hard the remainder of the race, and given my level of fatigue, I think the time was not too terrible.
What would you do differently?:

Rest more and listen to my body before I get to this point. Looking back over the last few days there have been some signs that I ignored. Even though they were subtle (well a couple were, a couple should have been obvious), I should have heeded the warnings. The bike ride on Monday was a good indication when HR was low compared to RPE. The swim was hard, and even though I held pace, it was an extremely high RPE to do it. I've been a little irritable the last couple of days. I had a hell of a time sleeping on Monday night. I've been exceptionally hungry for sweets over the last few days. All textbook signs, and I fell prey to the stupid mistake of ignoring them. I would say lesson learned, but I'm thick headed, so I'll try my best not to let this happen again, but won't guarantee it'll be the last time.
Post race
Warm down:

Get dry, change clothes, crank heat in car, head home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overtraining.

Last updated: 2006-03-12 12:00 AM
Biking
00:26:10 | 10.5 miles | 24.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/52
Overall: 52/
Performance:
Avg. HR 163. Max HR 172. Average was 14 beats below every TT I've done so far, max was similarly 15-17 beats below.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Wet. Started raining less than half way in. Not an out and out downpour, but raining. Glasses were covered, water was dripping down my face, legs and back were wet from tire spray. In short, miserable.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-03 10:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT#4

2006-05-04 10:08 AM
in reply to: #414227

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT#4
Looks like there were plenty of people that didn't show last night. Not surprised. You still finished in the top 50% of Cat 4 though, so despite some over-training, that's still a good push, especially considering that a lot of the afternoon times had a faster, dry course.
2006-05-04 10:56 AM
in reply to: #414227

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: RE: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT#4
Give in to the sugar cravings. That's what I do. Good race. I ran yesterday, and the whole time I was thinking how freakin cold it would be on the bike. 24 mph is still whacky fast.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series, TT#4 Rss Feed