General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon during Marathon training question! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-12 3:37 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Half Marathon during Marathon training question!
Hello...I am going to try to be succinct here.  I am doing the 18 week Phitz 55 plan for an April 21 marathon.  I am running an indoor half marathon on February 11th.  That week's (Feb 6-12) schedule calls for the following: 10 miles, 11 miles, rest, 7 miles and long run of 18 miles on Sunday. That same week I am also being sent to a conference in Las Vegas Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  Since it may be hard to get that mileage in while away, should I do a bit of a taper in prep for the half marathon and get in what I can?  Also, with the half marathon Saturday, should I still do my 18 miler Sunday?Any suggestions/advice?  I don't want to overthink this, just curious what others might do.  Thanks!

2012-01-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3987027

User image

Master
Denison Texas
Subject: RE: Half Marathon during Marathon training question!

ingleshteechur - 2012-01-12 3:37 PM Hello...I am going to try to be succinct here.  I am doing the 18 week Phitz 55 plan for an April 21 marathon.  I am running an indoor half marathon on February 11th.  That week's (Feb 6-12) schedule calls for the following: 10 miles, 11 miles, rest, 7 miles and long run of 18 miles on Sunday. That same week I am also being sent to a conference in Las Vegas Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.  Since it may be hard to get that mileage in while away, should I do a bit of a taper in prep for the half marathon and get in what I can?  Also, with the half marathon Saturday, should I still do my 18 miler Sunday?Any suggestions/advice?  I don't want to overthink this, just curious what others might do.  Thanks!

I would use the HM as your long run and ad-lib a short recovery run on Sunday.

2012-01-12 3:49 PM

User image

Pro

Hi Kim,

Do you plan on racing or just running? That will make a difference in how you decide to handle the runs before and after the HM.

Because I am usually worried about getting hurt before my marathons, I treat them more as a long tempo run and don't race all out. If you plan on running hard, taper a bit before and run easy afterwards. Figure the HM will substitute for your 18 miler, swap the rest days so you get one on the 10th and 12th. Personally I wouldn't do the HM and 18-miler back-to back. You should be able to fit in the 10 and 7 miler while on the road, and do the miler Monday. At least you'll have nice weather to run outdoors!

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2012-01-12 3:50 PM
2012-01-12 3:57 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member

Definitely get in what you can during the week.  I've actually run on the strip in Vegas and it's not bad, particularly in the morning or early afternoon.

As for the long run, as mentioned, it depends on what your goal for the HM is.  If you want to race it, do so and be done for the week.  If you just want to finish the HM, you can consider incorporating it into a longer run.  I did that a few years ago.  I was part of a distance challenge series of races that included a HM.  On that same day, though, I was supposed to do 19 miles, picking up the pace over the last third of the run.  So, I got out the door early, timed it as closely as possible, and did 6 miles BEFORE the HM started.  I got to the start about 2 minutes before the gun went off, so I jogged a small loop until it did.  I kept my pace slow and easy until the halfway point of the race, and then picked it up from there, just as my training plan called for.

2012-01-12 4:19 PM

Are you racing the half or just running it?

2012-01-12 5:09 PM

User image

Elite
Since the HM will be  indoor on a track (47 laps!) and will be pancake flat I'd love to finish around 1:50--for me that would be racing it. 

2012-01-12 5:36 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
my experience is from phitz 70 plan

I followed that mother to the letter, it is tough. Anyways, phitz always has 3 workouts a week. a long or mp run, a mid week long run, and a tempo or interval workout. The rest are just mileage bumpers.

Smart people tell you that you need to taper and recover properly, I am not smart.

This is what I do. My goal is to hit the mileage goal for each week and hit the key workouts. That doesn't mean you have to hit all your key workouts in the week they are set, you can move them back or forth or whatever. So, you listed your workouts, right....only 5 days a week running (that is differant than the 70 plan). In my opinion your problem isn't the HM it is the 3 days off.

Anyways, basically you need to organize the schedule so you can get your 18 miler in, which is a key workout, on Monday, before you go to the conference. Doing it wednesday would be better and easier to set up but you seem doubtful on your ability to run there. So that means you need to move your other long run to the Thursday. So the week before you go you need to get your long run done on thursday. Move your rest days around and your easy runs around so that you are rested for Monday's long run. You are going to need to do your midweek long run on Thursday(although for you that could be the 10 miler, but do that easy, super easy)....could do it on Friday I suppose, Thursday is better. Then the Sunday race can be all out and replaces what I imagine is your tempo run that week (phitz says those should be done at 15k - HM pace, you probably should be doing them closer to 15k pace, so HM pace for the full 21 is not such an overkill if you ask me).

You get the idea. With the 70 miler program I had to play with the week after too in order to get the proper mileage and workouts in and give me enough recovery time.

Good luck. You will crush a HM on a 55 mile plan.
2012-01-12 9:00 PM
in reply to: #3987229

User image

Elite

BigDH - 2012-01-12 5:36 PM my experience is from phitz 70 plan I followed that mother to the letter, it is tough. Anyways, phitz always has 3 workouts a week. a long or mp run, a mid week long run, and a tempo or interval workout. The rest are just mileage bumpers. Smart people tell you that you need to taper and recover properly, I am not smart. This is what I do. My goal is to hit the mileage goal for each week and hit the key workouts. That doesn't mean you have to hit all your key workouts in the week they are set, you can move them back or forth or whatever. So, you listed your workouts, right....only 5 days a week running (that is differant than the 70 plan). In my opinion your problem isn't the HM it is the 3 days off. Anyways, basically you need to organize the schedule so you can get your 18 miler in, which is a key workout, on Monday, before you go to the conference. Doing it wednesday would be better and easier to set up but you seem doubtful on your ability to run there. So that means you need to move your other long run to the Thursday. So the week before you go you need to get your long run done on thursday. Move your rest days around and your easy runs around so that you are rested for Monday's long run. You are going to need to do your midweek long run on Thursday(although for you that could be the 10 miler, but do that easy, super easy)....could do it on Friday I suppose, Thursday is better. Then the Sunday race can be all out and replaces what I imagine is your tempo run that week (phitz says those should be done at 15k - HM pace, you probably should be doing them closer to 15k pace, so HM pace for the full 21 is not such an overkill if you ask me). You get the idea. With the 70 miler program I had to play with the week after too in order to get the proper mileage and workouts in and give me enough recovery time. Good luck. You will crush a HM on a 55 mile plan.

I was wondering about moving days around like that.  I really didn't want to miss that 18 miler...moving it might be a good idea.  Ok, you've given me some good ideas here...thanks a bunch.  And I do hope I crush that HM...if the boredom of running in circles doesn't crush me first!

2012-01-13 6:26 AM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

I think that doing a half marathon about 6-8 weeks out from the marathon is a great test of fitness, and, if raced properly, can give you some great information for the marathon. I'm doing a marathon in mid April, and at the end of February I'm doing a half marathon. I plan to race the half marathon and then use how my pacing went to dial in my marathon pacing.

As for substituting it for your 18 mile run, with a proper warm-up and a little bit of a cool down you should be around 15 miles. With the tempo pace, that should supplant an 18 miler without any hindrance to your training. I won't be doing any sort of taper for the half that I'm running, although Friday and Saturday in my marathon training plan aren't too rigorous.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Half Marathon during Marathon training question! Rss Feed