General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Half IM - Here's what you need... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-05-07 5:55 PM

New user

New Hampshire
Subject: 1st Half IM - Here's what you need...
Actually, I'm hoping that some of you will give some insight into how you prepare (not meaning training) for the race.

For example, nutrition wise, I know I'm going to need to practice my nutrition before I get to the race, but what do I start out with, and where do I keep it on the bike.
Also, what do you bring with you to the race - for afterwards and in your special needs bag. Having never been to a race of this duration , how does it work with the special needs bag, and at the aid stations along the way.

A little background - I'm signed up for my first 1/2IM at Timberman (NH) this August. I've competed in two sprint triathlon the last four years, plus sundry races like Muddy Buddy and another longer adventure race. I'm not really prepared for the race yet, but I'm hoping to be by August. My goal is simply to complete the race.

Thanks for your help, and if there is already a primer on this stuff, pointing me in that direction would be appreciated as well. I did do some searches of the forum, but I couldn't find anything that gave me a sense of what to expect.

Neil

2006-05-07 7:50 PM
in reply to: #417064

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH
Subject: RE: 1st Half IM - Here's what you need...

Hey Neil.

Welcome to BT!

I will be with you for my 1st HIM at Timberman.  You will get some great stuff here...  Pretty broad question.  I can address one thing for now - I don't believe there will be the whole special needs bag thing happening for a HIM.  I guess I can't say that 100%, but that's my understanding... I'm sure thre will be lots of good info to follow....

2006-05-07 9:57 PM

User image

Expert
Carmel
Timberman is going to be my first HIM also. From what I've heard, they do a really good job at this race with helping us to stay hydrated and calorie efficient. I'm interested as to see what the BT veterans of HIM's can offer.
2006-05-08 12:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Congrats on signing up for your first HIM! First, I've only done two HIM's with my third in 2 weeks, but HIM's generally don't have special needs bags. You can pretty much carry your fuel on the bike with you, or get what you need at aid stations, so don't sweat that part.
About what nutrition to practice with, it's a good idea to see if you are the type that can handle solid foods on the bike or if you want to stick with liquids only. Experiment on your long rides with different combinations of food, gel, drinks, etc., but at least when it comes to drinks, I'd advise training with what they're going to offer on the course at the aid stations. Check the event website for that info.
A great source for how to take your nutrition is www.coachgordo.com
He has some great articles about pacing and nutrition for Half IM's. About where to keep the food on the bike...two ways to go: A "bento box" which is a little nylon box that you velcro to your top tube and keep that stuff in, OR, put it in your jersey pockets and just reach around back. I eat Clif Bars and PowerGels during HIM's and keep the Clif Bars opened, but in the wrapper, so I'm not strugggling with the wrapper. PowerGels are easy to rip open with my teeth and one hand, or you could go with a gel flask (be sure to water down the gel if you do this to make it flow out of the flask more easily).
Anyway, here's my list of things to bring for a HIM. You might not need them all. Good luck:

-Goggles
-Wetsuit
-Wetsuit hood
-Tri-shorts
-Leg warmers
-Body Glide
-Sunscreen
-Towel
-Rinse water
-Bike
-Floor pump
-Inner tubes
-Tire levers
-CO2
-Helmet
-Bike shoes
-Socks (2)
-Sunglasses
-Rain jacket
-Umbrella
-Multi-tool
-Running shoes
-Visor
-Fuel Belt
-Energy bars with packages pre-opened
-Gels
-Gatorade and water for bike and Fuel Belt
-Trash bags
-Check book
-Pen
-Lantern
-Toilet paper
-ID and money
2006-05-08 8:29 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Timberman w/b my first but I've begun my experimenting already. First, they'll be distributing Carbboom Gels and Gatorade Endurance. So that is what I am training w/ mostly. On my long rides I fill my aerobottle w/ water and my other bottle w/ Perptuem (Hammer) and I just switched to that. At about two hours I stop at my car to refill the aero and replace the Perptuem w/ Gatorade Endurance. I figure that will simulate the race. Perptuem, or any other, simply provides more carbs and less sugar than a first bottle of gatorade would. I also eat a carbboom every 30 minutes and a Smucker PB&J at about the 2 hour mark as I've founf Cliff Bars hard to get down. Just reread your post, didn't mean to get so technical on the training stuff. Bascially a long way of saying I carry everything I'll need on my bike or in my jersey. Good Luck.

Edited by rollinbones 2006-05-08 8:39 AM
2006-05-08 8:48 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

Another BTer racing at Timberman. The race is staged great and they have tons of stuff through the course. Last year I brought my own nutrition for the bike and used whatever they were giving during the run (but I trained for that)

Nutrition is very personal and you should practice it during long rides and transition runs. Here is a link with great info: http://www.e-caps.com/downloads/fuelinghandbook.pdf Of course it is focus to promote hammer gel products but it DOES have great info that you can use and practice with the sports drinks, gels and or bars of your choice. Here is another good article and very simple: http://www.trainright.com/articles.asp?action=display&uid=1422

Personally I don’t do well with solid food (bars) and I like to stick with sports drinks and gels. For this year I am planning to have a meal 3 hrs before the race, 24 oz of sport drink 1 hr before the swim, one 24 oz of sport drink, a gel and salt tablet per hour during the bike and stick with water and coke during the run…

Good luck and see you at Timberman

2006-05-08 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

For me, during my first HIM, here was my Nutrition plan.  I had a gel about 5 min before the start of the swim.  Once on my bike, don't drink or eat anything for the first couple of miles (at least 10 min).  The start your fluids.  I took a gel every 30 min until mile 50 of the bike.  I didn't have a set drinking schedule, which I WILL next time.  Also incorporated Gatorade in my water bottles.  I kept a gel flask in my Uni pocket (will have a gel flask holder this year).  I took advantage of the gels at the aid stations so I had mine for a "reserve".  Note:  Get to know the color of the flavors you like.  Easier to spot vice trying to read the names.  I also called out the flavor I wanted and the awesome volenteers got it.  All while whizzing by them on the bike...awesome!! 

On the run, I didn't take any calories...BAD BAD!!  Next time I will take a gel every 30 min or 4 miles or so next time.  And, personally, incorporate Gatorade for the calories and sodium. 

OH...don't forget E-caps.  If it's hot at all, this will help you a lot.

I've seen people tape gels and powerbars to their top tube.  There are Bento boxes and gel flask holders to put on your top tube for Nutrition.

But most of all...and EVERYONE will agree with this.  TRAIN with what you will be racing with.  Don't assume that your body will be able to take all that gel, etc.  If you go out for a long run...take as many gels as you wood for that part of the HIM.  I got too focused on being a runner and took the "I can do this run without gel, what's the big deal".  Practice it!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 1st Half IM - Here's what you need... Rss Feed