Annapolis Striders
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 48m 28s
Overall Rank = 315/2143
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 34/116
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00am. Clif Bar, water and sipped Accelerade on the way to the race. Got there about 45 min. before the buses left for the start. Met up with John Burkhart (a guy I work with) for the ride to the start.
Event warmup:

Waited in line at the porta-pots for 45 minutes. Plenty of toilets where the buses load, but when we got to the start, we had to wait 45 minutes for the gun so there were 2100 runners and about 35 toilets. Ridiculous. I didn't even get to stretch much, let alone get a short warm-up in.
Run
  • 48m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Because we had to wait so long to use the bathroom, we were way back in the start. It took over three minutes to get to the starting line after the gun went off. I must have passed over 1500 runners in the first 3 miles. Lots of zig-zagging which probably added a little time, but never really got held up. First time racing in a long time without my HRM. It was a good experience because I had to play particulary close attention to breathing and PRE. I took a sip of water at mile 4 just to wet my throat. Set a new 10k PR for myself.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I paced very well and had a little left for a strong finish in the last half mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, gatorade, bagel, banana, snickers marathon bar, 2 beers.

Event comments:

Best 10k race I've ever done. Obviously they need more toilets at the start. This will definitely be an annual event.

Last updated: 2006-03-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:28 | 06.21 miles | 07m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/116
Overall: 315/2143
Performance: Good
Didn't have my HR monitor which was fine although I felt naked without it. I tried to keep splits, but I missed the first two, mile 4 was 7:08 and mile 5 was 9:15 so the markers were obviously WAY off. How is it possible that they can't get the mile markers even close in a running race. This has been the case in both races I've done so far this year.
Course: Start at the base of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on the good side (Eastern Shore side), basically 2 miles up to the top, 2 miles down, then 2 miles up over an overpass and into Sandy Point State Park. Doesn't get any better than this for a 10k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-08 7:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Centreville, MD
Subject: Governor's Bay Bridge 10k

2006-05-08 7:28 AM
in reply to: #417311

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Governor's Bay Bridge 10k
Should have jogged your warm-up on the bridge, there were about a dozen port-a-pots about a 1/4 mile from the start that were basically unused.

Great day for a race though, congrats on the finish!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Governor's Bay Bridge 10k Rss Feed