United States
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 32m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 7 am, made some buckwheat pancakes; only ate two as they were quite heavy. Decided on running shorts and a long sleeve shirt since it was chilly (and BT socks, of course). Popped some advil and headed out. The race site was only about 6 miles away. Arrived at about 8:10. Start time was 8:30, but there was no chipping or marking, and we were preregistered, so all we had to do was pin on our race numbers and wait.
Event warmup:

Running back to the car to put my jacket away
Run
  • 32m 50s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

The first two miles of the race went pretty well, just a nice steady pace on nice roads, but WOW did that hill kill me on the way back up. At one point the Garmin registered me at 12:00/mile pace with a HR of 192 bpm. That just can't be good.
What would you do differently?:

As usual, take more advil and warm up better.
Post race
Warm down:

I was really, really, red-faced with the white around the lips when I got done, so I had to get some water. (There was one water stop on the course but I only took one sip there.) Then I walked around a lot and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

IT band (as usual)

Event comments:

This is the very first 5k I ever did two years ago. My goal was to run it faster than I did then, which I did, but not by as much as I would have liked. Oh well. Tons of nice door prizes at the end (inclueing free Chipotle gift cards--woo hoo.) This was the last year for this race, which is too bad, but many thanks to the Clare family for hosting it the last five years!

And great job to my 8-year-old Brina who finished 3rd in the 2k race! :)

(Note: No times or places were kept after the top two men and women in the 5k, and the top two men and women in the 10k, so I have no idea what place I took or how many people ran this. My guess would be about 300 participants.)

Last updated: 2006-04-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:50 | 03.11 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: The course starts and ends at Hastings High School. The first half mile or so is down a great big hill, so that's nice, then it winds through some neighborhoods, then back up the hill to the school. According to my Garmin, that hill is 0.7 miles long. Ouch. It's starts at the 2.0 mile marker and ends at about 2.7 miles of a 3.1 mile race.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes