General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike vs road w/ aero bars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-01-19 10:29 PM

Subject: Tri bike vs road w/ aero bars

I do most of my riding with groups but am planning my first century and first sprint Tri this year (likely multiple of both).  Once I get the swimming thing better figured out, I'll train for an olympic or half (def by next year)  

I'm planning to get a new bike this year and trying to decide between a Tri bike or an "aero" road bike frame with clipped on Aero bars. (Specialized Venge or Blue AC1 or _____).  Sure the road bike wouldn't fit as well in an aero position but how much will that hurt my times?  I'm not a pro and not pretending to be but having the right "tools" can make all the difference.  I'm worried that a roadie with aero bars would be like running a marathon in loafers and white socks.  Sure you've got shoes on but something about it just isn't quite right....

So what are the pros and cons of Tri bike vs road with clip on aero bars for a beginner?  How much slower or faster would I really be?  How much more comfortable could it really be?

2012-01-19 10:58 PM
in reply to: #4000772

User image

Tucson
Subject: RE: Tri bike vs road w/ aero bars

I'm in the same boat!

I've been looking at the Cervelo deal, but cant afford or think I need 2 new bikes. The RS looks like a pretty good deal and seems like it would be more comfortable for training rides. I'm going to guess my first few Tri's will be handicapped more by my fitness and techniques than disadvantage of the road bike over the Tri bike.

2012-01-19 11:57 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

There is absolutely nothing unusual with riding a triathlon on a road bike. A road bike will not be as fast as a Tri bike in a flat or modestly-hilly, non-drafting triathlon. I would guesstimate about 1-5min difference for a 40km ride.

I've been competing participating in triathlons for 6 years and I would estimate that 20% to 50% of the bikes at local races are road bikes. Even at the Ironman and Half-ironman distance races, where the participants are really Tri dedicated, I see about 10%-20% road bikes. Some simply prefer the feel of a road bike.

I'd more into Triathlons than group riding so I bought a Tri bike as my main ride. its great for Tris and Time Trials  but not much use for group or fun rides. I bought a second bike for that,  a basic Cyclocross bike - I often put road wheels on it and use it as a roadbike.  But if you can only have one bike I recommend a roadbike. 

Check out the Cervelo S1 / S2 as well. I believe the seatpost can be reversed to give you a 76degree seat-tube angle that puts you in a TT / Triathlon position. Its a aerodynamic frame and along with clip-on aerobars this is a pretty good option for those looking for a bike that can do both road riding and convert to triathlon riding. Cervelo has a 'share the ride' deal where you can get $1000 off.

2012-01-20 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4000824

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
mgalanter - 2012-01-19 10:57 PM

Check out the Cervelo S1 / S2 as well. I believe the seatpost can be reversed to give you a 76degree seat-tube angle that puts you in a TT / Triathlon position. Its a aerodynamic frame and along with clip-on aerobars this is a pretty good option for those looking for a bike that can do both road riding and convert to triathlon riding. Cervelo has a 'share the ride' deal where you can get $1000 off.

This is what I did.. it's a great option if you want to stick with one bike..

As I picked it up from the shop:

For triathlons:

The rear wheel cover and HED3 front is only for racing. The flip up clip-on aero bars, make swapping it back to road ready as simple as swapping seats and seat post (I have two seat/seat-post combinations to make the swap VERY easy.
2012-01-20 3:45 PM

User image

Tucson

Wow, S2 seems like the way to go.

Thanks for the help!

Anyone want to buy a dirt bike?

2012-01-20 6:27 PM

User image

Regular
Pleasanton
I'm in an similar predicament. I had a road bike with an aero seatpost and tri bars. It sped me up drastically, up to the point I got hit head on by a car...Needless to say the bike is no more. My buddy, the LBS Owner is insistent that I spend the vast majority of my settlement money on a road bike and buy a cheap tri bike. I really liked the feel after I had modified my last bike. So, I'm going to test the tri bike for a week or two and see how it goes. I will have enough money to buy 2 bikes if I want to, but if I ride the tri bike and hate it, I'm definately confident that a pimped out road bike will get the job done!

2012-01-23 8:28 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Rapids, MI

Im rolling an aero road bike with clip ons (Felt AR4)

I just wanted a more versatile bike. Once both kids are out of daycare, maybe I will try a tri specific bike. I did a HIM this summer and it worked great.

2012-01-24 11:25 AM

User image

Overland Park

I was looking at replacing my road bike with either an aero bike or tri bike but realized the cost to do so would not justify the time savings or mph gain in doing so.  I have a good road bike (Felt Z25) so purchased a clip-on bars and forwarded position seat post and tri saddle.  When I do group rides I can easily switch to my road seat post and remove the clipons.   I did make the investment to get fitted in the tri position, so the only thing that I lack is the advantages of the aero frame.  This will not be the case for you since you are looking at an aero frame or tri bike already (take a look at the Felt AR series)

Since I only do Sprint Tri's the advantages of a tri bike or aero bike are miniminal given the short distance.  You might be looking at time difference of 1 or 2 minutes between a dedicated tri bike and a road bike with clipons.   The sprint Tri's I have done usually have hills in them, so I can usually make up some of the lost time by just improving my hill climb abilities.  I can make improvements in my other areas: swim, run and transitions (mainly swim) to improve my overall time.   Hope this helps.

2012-01-24 5:38 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

The record at Ironman Lake Placid was on a road bike way back in 2004.

2012-01-24 10:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

Actually, there is another good option rather than just using a road bike for triathlons, and for the other cycling activities you have planned.

I know because I've tried this option and it worked very well, including some very good results in triathlons. I wrote up a summary of this 'other' bike option at the top of this BT thread. Take a look and you just might open up a bunch of new possibilities for yourself ... and also save yourself some big money down the line.

2012-01-25 1:54 AM

User image

Veteran
I raced my half IM with a road bike and clip on aero bar like the one on that cervelo.
What really made the difference is the bike fit.  I had a terrible bike fit before HIM and i felt it during the race.  I won a free bike fitting and had my road bike with aero bars bike fitted and what a huge difference it made.  That few centimeter forward sounds laughable but it does make a huge difference.
I just purchase a tri bike (somehow I like having two of everything) and thats a good bike (felt b2r) very responsive.  I havent ridden outside that much yet.  If you can afford two then get two, but try going the road bike with clip on aero bars first, its a personal preference, you may or may not like it.

2012-01-28 7:02 AM

User image

Greenville, SC

I am new to this, but will share my story.  I did not have a bike a month ago, but had been looking at bikes knowing I would buy one after my first full marathon in March.  I came across the Cervelo deal and decided to pull the trigger now.  I debated on the tri vs road and most shops encouraged me to go with a road bike.  Their main reasons were the group ride aspect, and me being a new rider.  

I was buying a bike for one reason.....to do triathlons and work towards completing a full IM within a year and a half (I have 3 sprints, an Olympic, and a half this year).  I do not plan on riding for anything else.  The guy at the shop where I bought it was in the same boat as me 10 years ago.....he went with the tri bike as his first bike.   I did the same thing, a Cervelo P2.   I road it on the trainer a few times, a few short jaunts outside and have two "real" rides under my belt now and I am comfortable on the bike as fast as I can push it.   It was a little tricky at first....but since you have been riding it probably wont be an issue for you.   Again....I have a bike for one purpose...Triathlon, so it made sense for me to jump right in.

I do realize that I miss riding a bike (big BMXer back in the day) so was thinking about buying a single speed road/urban bike also, to ride with the kids around the neighborhood and occasionally ride to work but that is a maybe.....since I just sunk so much cash getting the Cervelo set up, trainer, shoes, etc etc.

I say let your goals determine your purchase.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri bike vs road w/ aero bars Rss Feed