United States
Pacific Sports LLC
Overcast
Total Time = 43m 35s
Overall Rank = 66/809
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/68
Pre-race routine:

Clif bar in the morning with 2 glasses of water.
Event warmup:

Ran 2.5 miles to the start with Mike. Nice controlled pace just to get the blood flowing and get a little sweat going. Used the facillities and took a gel five minutes before the start.
Run
  • 43m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

The start was comical since the idea was to start at the sound of a conch shell but the conch shell blower failed miserably and was unable to produce any audible sound. Thus the announcer just yelled go and we were off.

The organizers did a good job of trying to stage the race based on expected pace. However, as always there was the couple of people who started on the line and walked! Why? Why do people do this? I will never understand this. Since this was a rather small race it did not take that long to get by the people that chose to do this but still it is unncessary and rude.

Started off comfortable. Was running next to Mike for the first 2 miles at which time he pulled away from me a little. Tried my best to keep him in sight during the rest of the race but was unable to catch him (he beat me by 30 seconds or so). At the 5K mark the course went up San Vicente which is a very mild hill. However, you could not convince my legs that it was a mild hill they felt as if it was a sizeable incline it was all I could do just to try to hold it together. Of course once we hit the turnaround at the end of mile 4 to head back down San Vicente all that extra pain was repained with a fast mile leading into the last 1.1 mile.

The last 0.1 I ended up in a sprint off with a guy who was trying to catch me from behind. Normally, I would not have cared but there was no way I was going to let the guy pass me, no way! Well he didn't so all is well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I ran this race 3 weeks after IMAZ and ran a personal best by over 4 minutes so I am absolutely stoked about the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and picked up the race shirt. I was incredibly stiff for 3 days afterwards. I should probably stretch after the run next time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

To go faster I need to continue to build run mileage and work in some speed work but that is far from a new observation.

Event comments:

First year for this race. The event was well organized and a lot of fun I would definitely do it again next year.

Last updated: 2006-04-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:35 | 06.21 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/68
Overall: 66/809
Performance: Good
7:21.5 (159 hr), 7:00.6 (170 hr), 7:09.0 (174 hr), 7:26.4 (177 hr), 6:44.0 (175 hr), 6:39.1 (178 hr), 1:21.0 (180 hr) [max 186]
Course: Start at Ocean Park and Barnard, run up to Main Street. Take Main Street to Ocean to San Vicente. San Vicente to 14th then turnaround and run back to Ocean to just before the pier.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-08 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Carpe Diem Santa Monica Classic

2006-05-08 7:20 PM
in reply to: #418129

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Carpe Diem Santa Monica Classic

You are right dead on 7:00 pace.  I wish I could do that.  Good race anytime.  A couple of weeks after IMAZ, it's an amazing race. 

TW

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carpe Diem Santa Monica Classic Rss Feed