General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cedarville, New Jersey
United States
Piranha Sports
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 44m 54s
Overall Rank = 227/365
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 51/61
Pre-race routine:

Loaded up my stuff the night before in the car. Got up at 5:00 and hit the road. Forgot the sunscreen. Had an Ensure, a bananna, and a bagel on the drive. Got to the race site at about 7:00, parked. Checked in, went thru bike inspection, bought the last spare tube, got body marked and found by bike stall.
I think I did everything you are not supposed to do prior to a race. I had new equipment, clipless pedals and bike shoes (Not yet ridden except on the trainer and never had clipless pedals before) and new wetsuit(tried on twice never swam in a wetsuit before), new energy drink (Cliff Shot Apple, new gel (Cliff Shot Vanella and Rass), and blew up my taper by running way too fast on Wednesday (an improptu race with my boss and coworkers). Add that to my race number 666 in the NJ DEVILMAN and I was not exactly set up for success. Or so it seemed.
Event warmup:

Forgot my water bottles in the car so I ran back to the car and back to get them. Then i fought to get my wetsuit on and then found out how much fun using the porta pottie while wearing a wetsuit can be. I worked up a nice sweat by the time I made it to the start.
Swim
  • 35m 8s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

Very good swim. I concentrated on staying long and smooth and staying wide on the first half lap to stay out of the mess. I got ran over a couple of times but the contact was minimal. Got into a nice 2 breath rhythem right away and navigated off the hats to the inside of me. Navigation was hit or miss on the stretch between Bouys 1 and 2 I drifted way out both laps (almost to the shore), but every other leg I was right on the buoys (A little too tight a few turns). The wetsuit made a huge difference, I was alot faster :10-:15/100 and didn't feel like I was working too hard. Getting out of the water was another adventure since the ramp only extended at most a foot into he water and the mud/boulder mess was tough to walk on to say the least. i ot out of the water at about 34:00 but a long run/water to the timing mat at the transition area, added a bunch of time.
What would you do differently?:

Fastest swim by about 6 minutes. Need to work on sighting, as I had trouble picking up the slower swimmers from the rarlier waves until I was about to run over them.
Transition 1
  • 09m 24s
Comments:

Now for the comic relief. I managaged to unzipp and pull my wetsuit to my waist in route to T1 but it well astray after that. First I could find my bike and had to squint at the bike numbers to find my way. Then was my battle with my wetsuit, take off my timing chip, try and get the wetsuit off my calfs and feet. I started to twinge and cramp up on my left calf while fighting that battle. Finally I ot it off, put my timing chip back on, an got my bike stuff on. Then I can't find my gels. I'm rustling through my bag, pulling all my stuff off, no luck. Now I'm starting to panic!! Just before I'm about to give up and go gel-less, I remember I put it in the front pockets. Whew!! So I tromp off awarkly to the mount line. Officially I left transition at 6:20, but I knew the real challene lay ahead. At the mount line I hopped on the bike and slapped my right foot into the peddal and.. wow it worked first try...next thing I know I'm leaning that direction and then its the dreaded, slow motion, 0 MPH, clipped in and can't do a darn thing about it fall in front of everyone. Then to make maters worse I get my other foot tangles in the rear wheel spokes. After deicately extracting myself from that, taking investory of a blood left hand and right knee(the knee took the worst of it) and got going. Noone said a word the whole time until a nice spectator who watched to whole thing told me to check my water bottles before they feel out (truly very glad he pointed that out). Got the left foot clipped mounted and started rolling and fought with the left foot(as usual until it clicked and finally hit the watch.

Practice removing my wetsuit, practice mounting and clipping in, get the transition better organized, find a better landmark for my bike (considering I'm blind as a bat), and oh yeah stay upright!!!
Bike
  • 2h 51m 14s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.62 mile/hr
Comments:

After such an evenful start I did a great job putting that behind me and getting into the ride. I consiously tried to maintain a good pace but gearing to keep the effort easy and not push. I did really good at shifting to keep the level of effort constant. I started drinking every 15 minutes and having a gel every 30 minutes. Finished off the 2nd water bottle before the last bottle exchange and that carried me through to the end. My bike computer magnet is still messed up and slide down the spoke. I got passed by a bunch of folks early but then that wave tampered off and I did most of the passing especially during the second loop. Maintained that consistant effort both loops and did fairly close to even splits(as far as I could tell my watch's seal failed and the inside of the face was fogged up and I didn't think to it the button till I was a mile down the road.) The wind was strange it always seemed to my in my face, not strong enough to realy slow you down but enough to make you think about it. I made sure to unclipp early at the end and had issues peddelling unclipped as well

My legs felt great and I probably could have been a bit more arrgessive the 2nd loop, but no complaints. 9 minute PR!!!
Transition 2
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

Started watch at dismount so a little of the official T2 time. My feet didn't like running in the bike shoe so I did a slow trot. Took my time, pulled out 3 gels and a shot block. Dug around for my sunscreen (that I forgot). Cleaned out my bike jersey and troted off

A little organization and maybe buy a race belt so I can change into a new shirt. Don't forget the sunscreen!!!
Run
  • 2h 04m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a huge run for me. Last year I was walking before mile 1 and at the Diamondman I walked the last 4.5 miles. This time I actually ran the whole thing and maintained a decent pace (constant 9 to 10 min miles). I started out fairly slow and I learned from the Diamondman and made a pit stop coming out of T2. I took 3 gels and ate them miles 2, 5, and 8. Had water the first stop and each stop I had a gel and had gatorade each other aid station until the last one (water again). I had a Cliff shot Block chew in my pocket but i decided i didn't want it and reaaly didn't need it at mile 11. I had a slight side stich the first few miles but that cleared as my legs cme to life after the first mile. I picked up the pace and race a nice comfortable and fairly steady pace. I got done feeling I could have pushed the issue and actually felt good at the end and enjoyed the last mile and the spectators. Heard the announcer make the comment about #666 and announce my name and hometown, and finished with a smile on my face.

Haven't worked on speed at all this year, except for the improptu race we had the Wendesday before the race, and with a 1:41 PR for a half marathon, I can cut some time off my 2:04 but in term of HIM run legs this was about 36 minutes faster than my previous best run leg. Obviously it helps to run the whole way.
Post race
Warm down:

Actually felt like talking with folks, got so food and drinks and water, sat down and ate and relaxed in the sum. Went and visited the EMTs to get my knee cleaned up. Waddled over to transition and gather up my stuff, then listened to the awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

PR by 50:33!!!!!! And the scary thing is I fell, got my butt kicked by my wetsuit, had horrible transitions and held back and paced very conservatively to make sure I could make it. There is alot of room to improve but I am so happy with this race its not funny. i have to reassess my goal for the Diamondman this year since I already hit that original mark. I also would recommend not forgetting the sunscreen cause I have a very painful reminder of that error as well.

Event comments:

Much larger race this year. I liked the new course much better that last year. The bike was much better as was the run course(ok I'll concede that the swim was much better last year). Wish they hadn't scheduled it against the Broad Street Run (was 2 week later last year). The level of competion was impressive for a 2nd annual event and the Army Triathlon team was also impressive (though Navy's was equally impressive at Lancaster). However, my new hero is Thomas Koehler of Hampton, NY who completed the race in 5:32:47 and bested me in each leg including the swim. Did I mention he only had one leg? When you meet someone like that you can't help but be amazed and inspired.

Last updated: 2006-04-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:08 | 2112 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/61
Overall: 169/365
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction-Sleeveless wetsuit
Course: 2 loops. Quasi rectangular course where you do a beeline to shore after hitting the last bouy on the 2nd loop. Cedarville Lake was a swampy little pond. Very shallow, rather dank, and nasty smelling and tasting. I immediately sunk up to my knees in the muck and then paddled off. Visibility was the worst I've ever seen (or not seen), but I guess it could have been alot worse, it was warmer than advertised and nothing was floating in it. and No snakes (Saw at least 2 swashed snakes by off ponds on the bike course.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 09:24
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
02:51:14 | 56 miles | 19.62 mile/hr
Overall: 199/365
Performance:
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 2 loops on county roads, past the Millville airport and through the Beven wildlife area and swamps. They reaaally improved the bike leg from last year. They eliminated a horrible stretch of very rough road and replaced in with a good stretch of smooth asphalt.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:43
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:04:45 | 13.1 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 244/365
Performance: Good
Course: A Y shaped run with a 4 mile out and back and a 9 mile out and back. Back country roads thru a lot of farm land. Very little traffic and some shade. Ended up doing the loops in the opposite order then they had planned (don't quite know who messed that up) so the mile markers were off, the volunteers were confused and the mile 10 water stop wasnt set up.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-08 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Subject: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon

2006-05-09 8:09 AM
in reply to: #418264

User image

Master
New Jersey
Subject: RE: New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon
Thanks for the race report. Looks like you did just about the same as me - although I didn't have those same troubles as you in T1.
Congratulations on the PR!
2006-05-09 8:38 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

Great job Andy!  Clearly you're well-planned pre-race strategy helped.

And all while wearing #666 too. Too funny!

2006-05-09 1:18 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

great race!! way to deal with the bike fall, wetsuit issues, and everything else! and what a great PR - by 50 minutes!!! that's awesome. nice job passing on the 2nd loop of hte bike - i did hte reverse (was progressively passed more and more), and great job on the run!!

congrats!! 

2006-05-09 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
Check out the race pictures(there is a link on the results website). The swim pictures are hallarious!!! It looks like a B movie Zombie flick with all the pond scum covered bodies trying to stand up and get out of that sludge pit. Of course, with everyone were black wetsuits and swim caps I don't think I'll ever find my picture!
2006-05-09 9:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
that's one heckuva day you had...a lot of extra you didn't plan for right down to the race number. may to perservere and congrats on the huge PR.

so there really were snakes there....i thought I heard ppl talking about it the day before, but i wasn't sure. nice.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Devilman Festival - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed