Set-Up, Inc.
69F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 37m 36s
Overall Rank = 272/489
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 41/64
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:00. Ate an English Muffin with Peanut Butter, drank some water, grabbed all my gear, and headed to the race site. Got to the race site and went to the transition area and set everything up and then I was off to get body marked. I heard them keep announcing to be at the swim start 20 minutes before your wave, so for me that was 6:45!! While standing in line to get body marked I knew I only had time to go straight to transition and put the wetsuit on and then head to the lake. So that is what I did.
Event warmup:

Putting on my wetsuit and getting in the lake for a couple of strokes before I was to take off.
Swim
  • 39m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started on the right of the front row which by all accounts is scary in itself with my swim speed but no one was wanting to get up there so I figured it was better to kick somebody than get kicked yourself so I held my position. The gun went off and off we went, the elites had a five minutes lead and with the fog they were pretty much out of sight by now. My goal was to stay calm and smooth using three stroke breathing technique and if I ever took two breathes on one side other than for the chop then to slow down. My goal was anything under 40 minutes and to be at least halfway before I saw any caps of an opposite color. Well, what do you know about 25 yards before we hit the last turn buoy, I look to my right and here they come. The front runner from the group behind me was coming through with three in tow. I jumped on their feet for like a minute just to act like I was cool!! This did not last long. I was having a good swim until one guy got in front of me and kept zig zagging all over on the home stretch. I had a good swim up to this point and did not want to risk getting kicked by this guy even though he was my speed. After about 3-4 minutes of him cutting in front of me I took a hard right hoping he would not follow and he didn't. I took an angle to the next buoy to make sure I cut it with it on my right and also to make sure I got around this guy. It worked. Now the pier was in sight. Stay back!! It is not as close as it looks. I had to keep telling myself this so I did not get crazy and blow myself up. Got to the dock and there was only two people in front of me getting on the ladder. This was good, I took this extra second to look down at my watch 38:43, Woohoo!!! I am on the dock headed for solid ground and the timing mat which was past the end of the dock!!!
What would you do differently?:

Not too much. This was a good swim for me so nothing to complain about other than having to use a spare pair of goggles but it worked out. Also, my wetsuit started to rub on the back of my neck on the way in. I did not put body glide back there!!! I had never had problems before with rubbing from my wetsuit. Well, I now have a nice "hickey" on my neck!! Things could have been a lot worse.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

T1 was not bad. My wetsuit did hang on the first foot I attempted to get out and I got in too big of a hurry and almost caused a cramp in my calf. Slow down!!! I slowed down just for a second and everything went as planned. I was off on the bike course!!!

Another good performance here. I did not feel like I lost a lot of time in this transition. I actually was leaving the transition thinking, man that was quick....did I get everything as I feel to make sure my helmet is on. I did not clip my shoes on my bike but I have never done this and was not going to try it today!!
Bike
  • 3h 01m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.54 mile/hr
Comments:

Okay, this is the most frustrating part of my race!!! I rode the course conservative but I think I left a lot of time on the course. I am a descent rider so I could have done a 2:30 but then I know my run would have suffered. I do think now that the race is over that I could have done a 2:40-2:45 on the bike and my run would have suffered, but how much? I definitely think you can make up time easier on the bike. I guess that is what I am saying. I stayed in high zone 2 low zone 3 the entire time and felt like it was easy. People were passing me left and right but I let them go ahead. My goal was to take a bottle of Accelerade/water and a GU every hour. Well, the first water bottle handoff was at mile 20 and my first bottle was way gone. Time to go with plan two. Drink Lots!! Grabbed a bottle at the first handoff and decided to go with water and GU until the last hour and then do my other bottle of accelerade. Man, I drank a lot. I usually do not come close to drinking this much. Oh well, I thought. I want to make sure I was hydrated and boy was I hydrated!!!! Let me just say to the people who were drafting on the race course. I hope you had a good race....you only cheated yourself. I hope you were one of the ones I caught on the run!!!

Speed up!!! I left a lot out on the course but I am still trying to figure out this heart rate training and when I can go and still not crash on the longer race. It's easy when you can go all out and still hang on!!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

T2 was again, uneventful. I did leave my glasses in the transition area but no big deal. I can deal without them. I almost forgot to get my feet out of my shoes before I got to the dismount line. I was scrambling to do this but was able to do it in time..

Grab my glasses!!
Run
  • 1h 53m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was not bad but I would have liked it to be about 4 minutes faster. Again I think I could have done this if I had went faster a little sooner but I kept to my original plan. On the first loop I passed a couple of people but not too many but man on the second loop I was passing people the whole time. There were people walking all over the course. All I could think about was they went out too hard and I did not go hard enough. I have been in their shoes and it is not fun but I was glad to be on the other side of the fence this time!! I did a negative split of about six minutes so I was happy with that. It definitely shows I ran a smart race!!!

Start to pick up the pace a lot sooner.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some coke and some cookies. I felt okay so I went to cheer everyone else on!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Base zones not developed enough. Not going faster on the course at the right time.

Last updated: 2006-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 45/64
Overall: 284/489
Performance: Good
average heart rate = 160
Suit: Quintana Roo
Course: Rectangle course keeping the buoys to your right. Quite foggy out which made the buoys harder to spot. Time includes climbing up the ladder on to the dock and running down the dock. I looked at my watch as I started up the ladder and it was 38:3?
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:01:16 | 56 miles | 18.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 58/64
Overall: 418/489
Performance:
Average Heart Rate = 157 Maximum Heart Rate = 175
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Big Loop. Going out was very smooth and everyone was hammering. Hit some rough roads and a little head wind on the way back in but overall not bad. Flat for the most part.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 96
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:09
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:53:26 | 13.1 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/64
Overall: 173/489
Performance: Average
First Loop (59:31): Average = 164 Maximum = 174 Second Loop (53:57): Average = 174 Maximum = 182
Course: Two laps out and back. The course had very little shade but some was supplied when running through the housing development. The housing development had wide roads and it was really nice running in here but then when you came out of the housing development you ran on the curb of a main highway with people in both directions. How the race coordinator thought this was wide enough I have no idea!!!! There was also no shade on this part of the run!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-09 5:14 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: White Lake Half

2006-05-09 5:40 AM
in reply to: #418398

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: White Lake Half
Excellent job, even though you felt like your bike was conservative. I think that is the learning curve of long course racing...knowing how much you can push yourself without bonking on the run.
2006-05-09 6:05 AM
in reply to: #418406

User image

Expert
South Bend, IN
Great job on the race. It was my first HIM and quite the learning experience. I think I did exactly what I was supposed to do on the bike, but messed up the calorie intake, messing up my run. I was probably one of those walkers you passed on the second lap! My next HIM is 8/05/06, and I can gurantee there will be no walking.... and better nutrition. Good job!!!!
2006-05-09 6:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Way to go!  You are a freakin' machine! 
2006-05-09 9:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC

AWESOME race!!! You definitely have the pacing down! Just a super run, and I'm sure you passed me somewhere on that freakin' run course.

Congratulations!!

2006-05-09 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

CONGRATS!! awesome race!! well run, all around. maybe you could have gone harder on the bike and first loop of the run, but that's still an awesome performance!! great job on T1 and T2 also - those transitions were FAST!

very nice race!! 

2006-05-10 8:45 AM

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
What a great race--it's not a bad thing that this race went so smoothly, even if you could have pushed it a little more.... now you can start tinkering w/ your heartrate training and see what improvements can be made for your next half! YAY!
2006-05-10 2:07 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
What a Great Half! A negative split on the Run..Man!!! AWESOME!!! You did look strong out there - Very nice Half! Congrats!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed