United States
Set-Up, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 00m 25s
Overall Rank = 365/489
Age Group = 50-55
Age Group Rank = 18/36
Pre-race routine:

Drove down Friday and ran into Shannon (fitphd) and Christian (theattorney) at packet pick-up. We chatted a little, then it was off to the lake to do a little swimming. Man, that felt good!!! I road the bike just a little, maybe 3 miles or so up Highway 53 and back to check out the 'bumpy section'. I decided to head back to the motel at Clinton around 5 because some massive T-Storms were coming!! Got checked in and did the usual OCD thing with my gear. Got some sleep...
Event warmup:

No real warmup; just some trips to the port-o-lets and some chatting. I gelled before I headed down to the pier. Felt good and I was ready to go!
Swim
  • 33m 11s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

What can I say? This is the best swim venue I've been to. You could actually see the bottom the entire way! You could see swimmers beside you in the water...

I followed my plan and took it out easy, then I found my groove and some open space and pushed it up a notch.

Just a little winded when I finished, but I was VERY PLEASED with this swim!
What would you do differently?:

zero
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

followed my plan and RELAXED and gathered my bike gear and headed out!
Bike
  • 2h 46m 1s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.24 mile/hr
Comments:

followed my plan until maybe, 10 miles from the finish, I began to get a little tired of sitting on that damn seat! my left glute/hammy was beginning to cramp a little too. Stayed with the same group of racers for most of the entire race. followed my nutrition plan; gelled 3 times, 1 powerbar, and some fig newtons, and plenty of powerade/h20.

did anybody see that snake at mile 23?

also, my bike computer registered 57.02 miles..??? hmmmm...

maybe save just a little bit more the last 10 miles...
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

no problems here, just RELAXED and got my run gear on... almost forgot my hat! saw Christian (theattorney) and he shouted some encouraging words.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

It is safe to say that this run was the hardest physical event that I have ever done!!!! What a learning experience!! It started off just as planned... for the first 3 miles, I ran an easy pace, about 9:50, then the PF pain started to nag at me and my pace slowed. the stretches on the highway really took their toll on me; I did find some grass to run on, but not much. I began to walk the water stops, and at the 1/2 way point, I looked at my watch and I was around 1:02, so I thought I could get this thing done in 2:15 or so. Fat chance!!! the second loop was painful and discouraging. I started to cramp up in my left calf about mile 8. mile 10 saw cramping in my right calf and my left hammy... more walking...longer stops to get water...it was HOT! at mile 12, I looked at my watch, and I thought if I could just jog it in, I could go under 6 hrs! but, the heat just kept cramping me more and more... here comes the drama... I turn the corner to enter the finishing shute and my right leg just totally locks up with cramps...I mean, I can't move it!!! I hobble over the number mat and I hear the announcer say my name, but I can't move my legs to get the last 10 yards to the finishing mat!!! damn! damn! damn! I stretch a little and finally hobble over the mat.

gotta get more experience with long runs, espcially HOT runs. this was my first 1/2 mary and it showed! I didn't have a run plan really. I've never even tried Cytomax, so I didn't drink that.. didn't take any electrolytes... so I cramped. but I did hydrate correctly, I believe.

I don't know... it is very frustrating having this foot injury. I can't train enough, but if I rest it for several months, I won't race... arrrrggggh!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Christian Thank YOU for helping me to the post race cabin. A couple of times I almost fell and I wanted to puke! I sat and drank some powerade and tried to talk to fellow finishers, but I was out of it!! someone suggested I go down to the lake and jump in. WOWWWW did that feel good. I continued cramping in some of the craziest places like my toes and my fingers...

Went back to the post race cabin and met up with Shannon who ROCKED THIS RACE!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

running experience and training.

Event comments:

another well run Setup race. I wish it wasn't a week after St. A's because I may do that next year!

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:11 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/36
Overall: 88/489
Performance: Good
Suit: orca sleeveless
Course: rectangle loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:46:01 | 56 miles | 20.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/36
Overall: 301/489
Performance:
Wind:
Course: flat, flat, flat...
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 27/36
Overall: 423/489
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 6.5 miles loops... a good bit of it on pavement
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-05-09 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Subject: White Lake Half

2006-05-09 9:43 AM
in reply to: #418606

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: White Lake Half

You are my hero!  Here you are kicking the crap outta a HIM at the age of 50 with a serious case of PF!  I am sooo impressed and inspired by you!

I cannot wait to see you race again

BTW, seeing you on the run course made me keep going...cause I was "this close" to quitting!!

2006-05-09 10:42 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Hey, considering you had PF issues I think you put together a heck of a race. You swimmers always amaze me. Sounds like everything went as planned until the run. Maybe we will race again soon. I am doing WFU triathlon!! Good job!!!
2006-05-09 12:26 PM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA

awesome race mark!!! that's a rockin' swim - 2nd place in the AG!!! that is a nice lake. and awesome bike ( as expected.. LOL!!). man, the PF has been a pain, in more ways than one, but way to stick it out through that second loop!

congrats!!!! 

2006-05-09 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

2nd out of the water in the swim!  Nice!  You're bike split was equally dominating!  Sorry about the PF!    But, you hung in there bro.  Excellent race....absolutely incredible!

Congrats!

2006-05-09 2:16 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
You have EARNED your avatar!  I mean the beer one, of course.  Congratulations on a great race... And I can't wait to see you hammer the next race home when you're trained AND healthy. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Half Rss Feed