2012-02-02 11:16 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-02-02 11:39 PM
in reply to: #4026852

Master
, California
Subject: RE: Extrovert in an introvert job

I'd investigate other options within your field a little first before making a complete career change.  Especially since you like what you do.  The problem seems to be the people and your surroundings.

Are there options for you in the private sector?  Sometimes a smaller company is much more laid back and relaxed.  I'm in the software industry and it took me a few years to figure out that I just don't like working for large companies.  Yeah the benefits of a big place are better, but the flexibility and atmosphere of a small company or startup is where I'm at home.

Edited by spudone 2012-02-02 11:40 PM
2012-02-02 11:42 PM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
What language(s) are you fluent in?
What about public relations/government relations (a very "extrovert" position) where you can utilize your bi-lingual skills? Seems to be a sparse skill these days. 
2012-02-02 11:44 PM

Veteran
Germantown, WI

Gregarious, smart, critical thinker ---> comedian? Seriously though, you could go into public relations, speech writing, many kinds of marketing roles writing copy for ads, scripts, etc. What about another governmental job as a policy analyst/writer? Just my two cents.

At least you have recognized it before you feel trapped.

2012-02-03 2:34 AM

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

I don't think paranoia is necessarily a trait of either the introvert or the extrovert.  But it may be a trait of most government workers.  

Either way good luck with finding a job that you are happy with.    Doing something that you dislike for 1/3 of your adult life isn't a good prospective.  It's not good for you or your family.   

Bonne chance, mon ami.    

2012-02-03 5:50 AM

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

UrsusAdiposimus - 2012-02-03 12:16 AM I am a few years out of grad school and am quite lucky - I have a good job that pays decently with generous benefits. But I am coming to an odd realization - I do analytic writing for a government organization and everyone I work with is profoundly introverted. Most of my coworkers are rather paranoid and distrusting of people in general, and for the most part their favorite topic of conversation is how miserable they are and how mistreated we are by our employer (we aren't). My supervisor is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to the cynicism and negativity. It never really occurred to me that I wouldn't like this job because it is exactly what I always thought I wanted to do. I studied international affairs in undergrad, spent time abroad and speak a foreign language very well - I had a path worked out for myself since I started college really, but here I am 10 years later, the Master Plan fully realized, yet it for some reason isn't all I cracked it up to be. The general negativity is becoming extremely draining, and it is not unique to my specific office - it seems to be endemic to the profession I chose. So my options are: 1) Suck it up and keep my head down for the next 30 years. 2) Make a career change while I'm still young. #2 is the more appealing route but I also don't know where to begin. I would be curious to hear from other type As whose Master Plan didn't work out like they thought it would and made a career change. How did you go about it? A few traits I have where I know I excel: - I'm a very good writer and critical thinker - I am very gregarious - I am good at languages and have a very strong grasp of world affairs. But I would be just as happy doing something that had nothing to do with my education or "expertise." I studied those things in college because they were something fresh, new, and challenging, and I would be eager to learn something new. Any suggestions for where to begin? I figured straw polling a group of highly educated and adventurous people would be a good place to start

This may be your problem. After all, a fish rots from the head, as the saying goes.

If the job itself is something you really love, maybe the problem isn't the types of people who do it, but the specific agency you are doing it with.

Of course, maybe if your coworkers are working with a governmental organization AND they are profoundly paranoid, maybe they know something you should be paying attention to...

2012-02-03 6:55 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-02-03 7:51 AM

NC

Have you considered bringing your trainer to work?  That seems to strike up some interesting conversations.

2012-02-03 8:25 AM

Buttercup

You are confused as to what makes an introvert or an extrovert.

Introverts recharge their batteries by being alone. Extroverts recharge their batteries by being with people. When very stressed, introverts prefer quiet. When very stressed, extroverts need stimulation. Both can be talkative sorts. Being paranoid or negative has nothing to do with whether you are one or the other. I am an introvert and would characterize myself as gregarious, full of energy and enthusiasm, a people person, optimistic about my future. I've known an extrovert who was a misanthrope and habitually aggrieved.

It sounds like your manager and coworker suck the life out of your job satisfaction. Those type of people (Eeyores) are no fun to be around, I agree. Address this problem first, before deciding that this one job environment dysfunction merits an entire career change. In other words, be methodical in uncovering your true source of dissatisfaction. You may find that a more positive environment is all you need to lose your current sense of dissatisfaction.

Edited by Renee 2012-02-03 8:27 AM
2012-02-03 8:51 AM

Elite

If you are State Department, the most adventurous types are in foreign postings.  Plus, that is an essential item to add to your resume. 

2012-02-03 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4027212

Pro
Husker Nation
Renee - 2012-02-03 8:25 AM

Introverts recharge their batteries by being alone. Extroverts recharge their batteries by being with people. When very stressed, introverts prefer quiet. When very stressed, extroverts need stimulation. Both can be talkative sorts. Being paranoid or negative has nothing to do with whether you are one or the other. I am an introvert and would characterize myself as gregarious, full of energy and enthusiasm, a people person, optimistic about my future. I've known an extrovert who was a misanthrope and habitually aggrieved.

It sounds like your manager and coworker suck the life out of your job satisfaction. Those type of people (Eeyores) are no fun to be around, I agree. Address this problem first, before deciding that this one job environment dysfunction merits an entire career change. In other words, be methodical in uncovering your true source of dissatisfaction. You may find that a more positive environment is all you need to lose your current sense of dissatisfaction.

^^this, plus what Gearboy said. And no, you couldn't have told me with a straight face that I'd be agreeing with both of them in the same thread, but here we are.

My wife recently read the book "The Introvert Advantage" and not only learned a lot about herself (she's about as far over on the "introvert" scale as you could possibly get without breaking the scale), she also learned about extroverts and just what the social expectations are of each. But again, I don't think that's what you're dealing with here.

2012-02-03 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4027319

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Bripod - 2012-02-03 9:58 AM
Renee - 2012-02-03 8:25 AM

^^this, plus what Gearboy said. And no, you couldn't have told me with a straight face that I'd be agreeing with both of them in the same thread, but here we are.

Add me to the list as well for both of those statements.

I am one of those introverted people and I am not paranoid, they really are out to get me I can prove it!  Wink

2012-02-03 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4027458

Pro
Husker Nation
trinnas - 2012-02-03 9:48 AM

Bripod - 2012-02-03 9:58 AM ^^this, plus what Gearboy said. And no, you couldn't have told me with a straight face that I'd be agreeing with both of them in the same thread, but here we are.

Aww, I think we should commemorate this event with one big electronic hug!
2012-02-03 9:53 AM
in reply to: #4026963

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
gearboy - 2012-02-03 6:50 AM

UrsusAdiposimus - 2012-02-03 12:16 AM I am a few years out of grad school and am quite lucky - I have a good job that pays decently with generous benefits. But I am coming to an odd realization - I do analytic writing for a government organization and everyone I work with is profoundly introverted. Most of my coworkers are rather paranoid and distrusting of people in general, and for the most part their favorite topic of conversation is how miserable they are and how mistreated we are by our employer (we aren't). My supervisor is one of the biggest offenders when it comes to the cynicism and negativity. It never really occurred to me that I wouldn't like this job because it is exactly what I always thought I wanted to do. I studied international affairs in undergrad, spent time abroad and speak a foreign language very well - I had a path worked out for myself since I started college really, but here I am 10 years later, the Master Plan fully realized, yet it for some reason isn't all I cracked it up to be. The general negativity is becoming extremely draining, and it is not unique to my specific office - it seems to be endemic to the profession I chose. So my options are: 1) Suck it up and keep my head down for the next 30 years. 2) Make a career change while I'm still young. #2 is the more appealing route but I also don't know where to begin. I would be curious to hear from other type As whose Master Plan didn't work out like they thought it would and made a career change. How did you go about it? A few traits I have where I know I excel: - I'm a very good writer and critical thinker - I am very gregarious - I am good at languages and have a very strong grasp of world affairs. But I would be just as happy doing something that had nothing to do with my education or "expertise." I studied those things in college because they were something fresh, new, and challenging, and I would be eager to learn something new. Any suggestions for where to begin? I figured straw polling a group of highly educated and adventurous people would be a good place to start

This may be your problem. After all, a fish rots from the head, as the saying goes.

If the job itself is something you really love, maybe the problem isn't the types of people who do it, but the specific agency you are doing it with.

Of course, maybe if your coworkers are working with a governmental organization AND they are profoundly paranoid, maybe they know something you should be paying attention to...

^^^^^^

You could create an option #3 to change the environment in your office. Are there any opportunities for you to influence your co-workers to help create a positive atmosphere? Are there opportunities for you to move into a Supervisory role?

2012-02-03 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4027474

Elite
SCamp07 - 2012-02-03 10:53 AM
gearboy - 2012-02-03 6:50 AM

^^^^^^

You could create an option #3 to change the environment in your office. Are there any opportunities for you to influence your co-workers to help create a positive atmosphere? Are there opportunities for you to move into a Supervisory role?

This is great advice.  Modeling the positive behavior you would like to see would be great for you and them.  Having an upbeat story to tell, suggesting a group lunch to celebrate an office event (could be anything, birthday, 1 year work anniversary), giving the positive interpretation of events when someone else starts negative, are all things that can help you cultivate the atmosphere that you want to be in.  Make your own air.

If that doesn't work, you can post fun stuff on BT.  

TW

2012-02-03 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4027503

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I am so glad you asked because I totally agree with Renee and I would hate to think you would give up based on this one situation.  Negativity can effect any sort of person.

I work on a field with lots of old school holdouts and change is very difficult.   The littlest thing, like instituting an employee reward program, is met with cynicism and negativity.    "What are they trying to do, trick us?"

I combat this, and generally negative people, by learning to brush stuff off.   Try to cultivate the qualities of an optimist.  You are clearly a very smart guy.  You can look at these whiners, act marginally sympathetic, and then brush it off.  When you leave the office, commence with your real life.  I know it's hard to ignore, but I firmly believe it's not what they do but how you react to it.  

I also LOVE the idea of trying to bring some enthusiasm and positive energy to the workplace.   When I encounter complainers, I will say "Yeah, that memo about organizational changes is surprising, but I am going to keep up my work and hope for the best."  Just put on a smile and move on.    This may seem Pollyannish, but it's a coping mechanism that works for me.  In turn, many of the worst cynics don't try the negative attitude to me anymore and will even agree when I try to put a good spin on things.   I also get along with the majority of my coworkers, which makes it easy for management to pick me to lead projects, etc.  They know I will just forge ahead without much complaint.

Good luck.   I have personally learned there's no perfect workplace for me (I'd rather just not work!), so I quit changing jobs in hopes of finding the "right" situation.    Try this for a while, at least.

2012-02-03 11:02 AM
in reply to: #4027468

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
Bripod - 2012-02-03 10:51 AM
Bripod - 2012-02-03 9:58 AM ^^this, plus what Gearboy said. And no, you couldn't have told me with a straight face that I'd be agreeing with both of them in the same thread, but here we are.

I'm up for that...

2012-02-03 8:39 PM
in reply to: #4027654

Elite
trinnas - 2012-02-03 12:02 PM

I'm up for that...

Put that Taser down, Kate. That's not what they meant.
2012-02-03 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4028786

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
tech_geezer - 2012-02-03 9:39 PM

I'm up for that...

HAHAHAHA! 

2012-02-03 8:56 PM
in reply to: #4028786

Pro
Husker Nation
tech_geezer - 2012-02-03 8:39 PM

I'm up for that...

Nice!
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Extrovert in an introvert job Rss Feed