Wolf Pack Events
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 47m 10s
Overall Rank = 26/59
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30AM, ate breakfast, and drove an hour and a half to El Sobrante.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, jogged, striders.
Run
  • 18m 34s
  • 2.4 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

With the hills, it was very difficult to pace myself. The only time I really felt comfortable was crossing the dam and back.
What would you do differently?:

It would have been great if I could have run the course ahead of time. But that was impossible, since I live an hour and a half away.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

I clipped my cycling shoes in my pedals ahead of time. After hopping on bike, I had some issues slipping into my shoes.

With such a short transition running with my bike (about 25 yards) I should have just put on my cycling shoes immediately after taking off my running shoes.
Bike
  • 1h 07m 52s
  • 18.9 miles
  • 16.71 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a lot tougher than I expected. I was not prepared for the sustained hill climbing. I kept thinking about the three bears -- which one am I on now? At about mile 15, there's a 1/2 mile area clearly marked in the road called "Feeding Zone" -- what the heck does that mean? Hopefully, not bear feeding... Highlight: I hit 42.3 MPH on a downhill stretch. I also felt pretty good for the last 3-4 miles of semi-flat road, even with a headwind. Anything was better than those hills...

This probably wasn't a good course to debut my new SRAM S-60 wheelset. They didn't help me much at all on the uphills, although they made a nice whistling sound on the downhills. Next time I do a new course like this, I'll get there early and survey it first.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Run
  • 19m 11s
  • 2.2 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Since I knew I faced mostly uphill for the last mile, I was a bit conservative going out. I was concerned that I'd cramp up, especially on the last steep uphill to the finish -- but it didn't happen. I still didn't have much left in me, anyway.

I probably should have just let loose for the first half, and not worried about the hills so much. I think I probably psyched out myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged, light stretching, wandered around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

During my winter training, I did some moderate hill workouts. But I wasn't prepared at all for the hills I faced in this race. Next time, I'll make sure I'm more familiar with a new course and prepare accordingly.
I'm also about 8-10 lbs heavier than I want to be right now -- especially for hilly courses like this one.

Event comments:

This was a fun, low-key race -- but extremely competitive, especially in my age group. I think only the stout of heart showed up for this one...

I think I'm going to focus on some flatter courses until I get in better shape.

Last updated: 2012-02-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:18:34 | 02.4 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 0/59
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back run course. First mile is mostly downhill towards San Pablo Dam. Pavement turns to gravel at about 3/4 mile mark. It's flat crossing dam and back, then mostly uphill to reach T1. A bit slippery in spots.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:45
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:07:52 | 18.9 miles | 16.71 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: One big loop through the hills surrounding San Pablo Reservoir and Briones Reservoir. Very pretty, but daunting in spots. It's called the "Du the Three Bears Duathlon" for a reason -- the hills are bearish. Many more than just three hills... total of 2200+ feet in elevation changes. The Mama Bear and Papa Bear hills definitely stood out. Very few flat spots.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:11 | 02.2 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Same course as Run1, except there wasn't an initial 1/4 loop around the parking lot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-02-12 6:59 PM

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA
Subject: Du Three Bears Duathlon

2012-02-13 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4043514

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Du Three Bears Duathlon

Great job on the first race of the season!  There must have been some fast people in your age group Steve if those splits didn't get you a higher placing!

Congrats!

2012-02-13 8:30 PM
in reply to: #4043514

User image

Expert
Illinois
Subject: RE: Du Three Bears Duathlon
Wow, this sounds like a really challenging race. Great job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Du Three Bears Duathlon Rss Feed