General Discussion Race Reports! » Singapore Sprint Series Aquathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Singapore Sprint Series Aquathlon - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Singapore,
Singapore
Metasport
80?F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 36m 3s
Overall Rank = 1/168
Age Group = 40-49 women
Age Group Rank = 1/40
Pre-race routine:

Finally able to do it right; did not feel like I was going to puke! Got up at 6:00, ate breakfast (oatmeal, coffee, Mojo Bar). Took taxi to race venue at 7:00. Ended up dropped at wrong parking lot, so started warmup by jogging about 10 minutes to the right place. Arrived with plenty of time for body marking, figuring out transition and finish.
Event warmup:

Ten more minutes of jogging plus some strides. Set up transition, went into water. Swam out to first buoy and back (375m) easy, plus some quick surges at beginning. Got out and waited for start (called about 8 minutes before).
Swim
  • 14m 5s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt like I paced too slowly. I was in the elite wave with both men and women, and got stuck within a pack of men, all of whom were considerably bigger than me, and kicked like maniacs. (Why do men kick so much??) Somehow I ended up in a calm vortex at the middle, and just got pulled along. I thought it seemed too slow and easy but when I tried I couldn't get out of it. Trouble rounding the buoy as the turn was extremely tight with a tightly bunched pack. Should have gotten out of the pack at the beach turn but somehow I didn't. Never really "home free". Third woman out of the water in the elite wave--the other two women said afterwards they felt boxed in too. Apparently the top women in the two AG waves were faster as they had more open water. Drafting/not drafting wouldn't have mattered much as water was very calm.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure in the elite wave. Try to start more to the outside, maybe, and swim a harder pace at the start, then cut in. But this might still put me in a bad position at the buoy. There must be a better strategy--just not sure what it is as I've never swum this kind of course before.
Transition 1
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

As fast as I could make it. Decided to eliminate socks as the race was so short. (Good call--I won by only 15 seconds!) Rather long run up beach to transition--maybe 150-200m.

Nothing I can think of, except maybe not even try to dry my feet. (It had rained heavily the night before and my towel was already wet.)
Run
  • 20m 46s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 09s  min/km
Comments:

The usual 5km feeling. Just kind of put it into "as fast as I can run without puking" gear and go. Breathing felt better than usual, maybe due to clean air. Passed one woman in the first km. and then a few guys (maybe they were running hurt, or cramped badly). Elite wave and with no bike leg meant it was not the ego trip that tri runs usually are for me. More like a run-only race--had to work hard to pass people. In the last two km, passed a few more guys. Realized at the second turn-around (about 3 km) that I was gaining on the leader. (She had a bit over a minute on me on the swim.) By 4 km her lead had dropped from 24 sec. to 11. Snuck in behind her and slowly cut the distance until somewhere around 600 to 800 to go I blew past her. Tried not breathe hard and then accelerate away--all that psyche stuff. Teenager (maybe 17?) so figured it might actually work on her. She didn't really respond so said a brief prayer that I wouldn't puke, cramp up, or fall on my face before the finish, and went for it. At least this time at the finish, I knew I was winning and hopefully looked and acted like I was (unlike Vietnam Tri)!

Nothing I can think of. It was the best execution I could manage at my current level of fitness. Some hamstring/piriformis pain/tightness kept me from really hitting my stride (as usual) and I haven't done much speedwork aimed at 5 km as part of HIM base training, so I did what I could and it was enough.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around; jogged about 20 minutes easy back on race course and beach, went into water to swim around for about 15 minutes, stretched. Does shopping count as a warmdown? Lots of that after the awards!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad position on swim. I realized I wasn't swimming hard enough for this event/distance but couldn't get out of the box. Running-wise, the usual--tight hamstrings, lack of speedwork. But did my best.

Event comments:

Very well-organized event; oriented toward beginners with calm water, small start waves, lane swim, flat run. I was frankly surprised I won as I tend to do better with tough conditions and longer distances. I think some top athletes bypassed this one; I did beat some women who've beaten me before; they just seemed to have sub-par races--it's early in the season. There was an amazing number of waves for all age-groups; also featured mini (half-distance) and kids' races. It took over 3 hours to start all the waves. It was a great event but did seem to go on forever! It was nice to get in a warmdown jog and swim, shower and change, and socialize with some Singapore athletes while waiting for awards. In retrospect, probably a bit short to justify the trip (actually I signed up after I got the mistaken impression that the Oly-distance Singapore Biathlon was cancelled this year--it's not and I'm now signed up to do it in two weeks), but it was fun to win, and I needed a recovery week and sanity break!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:05 | 750 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/40
Overall: 9/168
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU Comp (one-piece)
Course: More like a lake or pool swim than true open water. In a very sheltered cove so almost no waves. I only recall one small swell. Up a long "lane" to the buoy, around the buoy and back the other side. Short run on beach, out and back again in two more "lanes". Like two narrow V's. The "lanes" were only about 2-3 pool lanes wide.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time:  01:12
Overall: Good
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:20:46 | 05 kms | 04m 09s  min/km
Age Group: 1/40
Overall: 1/168
Performance: Good
None. There were km markers but as usual too dazed to check my watch. Race results actually say I was 2nd woman OA and in AG but I checked splits of every woman in my AG and the top 100 and I did not find any within a minute of me. Must be some mistake.
Course: Totally flat. First km. out and back about 500m from transition, then another out and back loop of about 2 km each way. I thought the course seemed a bit long but maybe I am just slow. (One guy did 17:30; most other times 19+ even for top guys.) Some shade, a little sun. Still mostly overcast at time of the elite wave.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-02-20 7:11 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Singapore Sprint Series Aquathlon

2012-02-20 7:28 AM
in reply to: #4056233

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Singapore Sprint Series Aquathlon

Killing teenagers.

Actually, killing EVERYBODY. Holy cow that was FAST!!!!!

SUPER CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WIN!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Singapore Sprint Series Aquathlon Rss Feed