General Discussion Race Reports! » 4 Mile Herring Run and Fish Fry Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

4 Mile Herring Run and Fish Fry Festival - Run4 Mile

View Member's Race Log
Plymouth, Massachusetts
United States
Colonial Road Runners
52F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 44m 46s
Overall Rank = 55/62
Age Group = F 40-49
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

The usual, 2 cups of coffee and cereal.
Looked out at the rain and debated whether to go or not.
Received phone call from my friend that she wasn't going because of the rain.
Went. It's only a 5 minute drive from my house.
Event warmup:

Stayed under a tent in a futile attempt to stay dry.
In the port-o- potty line I met a woman named Brenda who was running her first race of any kind...ever. She had only been training for a month and had only run on a treadmill...never outside! She said that she was so nervous she left the parking lot 3 times and was heading home because she didn't think she could do it. I told her that I was a slow runner and that I would run with her if she wanted.

Headed to the start line.

Run
  • 44m 46s
  • 4 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

It was absolutely pouring so the streets were one big puddle in many places. On the dirt roads in the park it was really muddy with huge puddles.
Brenda and I talked the whole time and it went by really fast. She did awesome and ran the entire race. She was so proud of herself, as she should be. Next year she'll be running 7 minute miles and blowing past me I think.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I made a new friend and it's so much better to run with someone. I know I could have pushed more but I'm glad I didn't. It was a great training run for Mooseman.

Wear a more waterproof coat. I was soaked through!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked for a few minutes. They had a cookout(under tents) with fish (not herring), hotdogs, beans, cornbread and juice. It was pretty good. After about 15 minutes I was freezing and went home to take a shower.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

torrential rain

Event comments:

Brenda was really slowing down the last 1/2 mile but didn't want to walk..right before the finish chute she starts walking and I'm like "go through the chute" I wanted her to be in front of me. Ironically when I looked at the results online I saw that she placed 3rd in our age group. There were only 4 of us! Apparently women aged 40-49 don't like running in the rain!
....so there was my only chance to ever win an award.. even if by default..oh well.

Last updated: 2006-05-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:44:46 | 04 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 55/62
Performance: Average
Course: Start was on a busy Plymouth road outside of the Jenney Grist mill...down a side street into Morton Park with dirt roads. Follow till the intersection of 2 ponds, Billington Sea and Little Pond. Back the same way. Then we went down to the waterfront just before Plymouth rock and turned into Brewster gardens and then followed the footpaths back up to the Jenney Grist Mill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-14 12:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Subject: 4 Mile Herring Run and Fish Fry Festival

2006-05-14 7:58 AM
in reply to: #423189

Champion
Subject: RE: 4 Mile Herring Run and Fish Fry Festival

Well you had a great day despite the weather, and that is so cool, helping Brenda with her first race ever!  I bet you get more out of that one race than any other personal accomplishment all year long.  Congratulations on doing that and introducing someone to a new sport.  More people would do running races and triathlons if they had others to help them along.  Let's make it a movement!!!

2006-05-14 9:25 AM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431

great race Chica!  I am impressed with everyone who raced yesterday.  Cool that you found something close to home too.

2006-05-14 4:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Wow, you made quite a fun race out of a rainy day.  Good job and fun race report!

Diane

2006-05-16 11:43 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Sounds like you made the best of a soggy situation. Good work.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 4 Mile Herring Run and Fish Fry Festival Rss Feed