General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time lady triathletes - sports bra? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-02-25 2:58 AM

Subject: First time lady triathletes - sports bra?

Hi, as a guy organising a Try-a-Tri event with my club, I have the task of advising newbies on gear. I have lots of relevant experience for guys on what to use, but obviously no personal experience of sports bras!

What issues are there for women doing their first tri - do tri suits all have enough built-in support or is a sports bra needed as well?

Also for those not wanting to invest in a suit, what is the best way to handle the sports bra issue - is it worn for the whole race or just put on in T1?

Help from any ladies with experience would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Garga

2012-02-25 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4065708

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: First time lady triathletes - sports bra?
I am not a big breasted lady but the support in those tri suits are not enough, at least for me. So I wear a sports bra under the tri suit.For those not wanting to invest in a tri suit then have them wear a support bra that can look like a binki top for the swim and then during T1 they can put a top on. I have also seen where others will wear their swim suit the entire time and just put shorts and a top over it. It really is a preference of what you want to wear and how much support you want.
2012-02-25 7:10 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Really depends on the woman's size and preference, and the tri-suit. Some tri suits have more support than others. Many smaller women will be able to just use a tri-suit with a good built-in bra; most larger women prefer some kind of sports bra under the suit. They typically wear it for the whole race. If someone didn't want to buy a tri suit they could just use a sports bra as a top for the swim and then put on a shirt or singlet in transition. I've never seen anyone put a bra on in transition. Hard to envision how you could do it at all, much less discreetly, unless it was an iron-distance event and had changing tents!
2012-02-25 8:01 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

I am not a big girl by any stretch of the imagination but I like a lot of support.  I wear a sports bra under my tri top.  I haven't found a tri top that has enough support for me but I'm really fussy. 

I think some will be fine with the built in bras in tops - it will really depend on the person.

2012-02-25 11:55 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I race in a sport bra and tri shorts/briefs. No other top.
2012-02-26 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Kannapolis, NC
I always have to wear a sports bra under my tri top. For the bigger chested women I recommend a bra from Moving Comfort that has under wires and the cups are made of a fine mesh, so it dries really fast.  I did my first tri in a regular sports bra  under my tri top which was still wet from the pool  after the run and the finish line photo proofed that it did not offer adequate support after having been wet/stretched for more than 1 hour Embarassed 

2012-02-26 11:23 AM

User image

Portland, Oregon
I'm a 32A and I'm fine with just my tri top and its built-in support. It's harder than heck to get into and out of, though...
2012-02-27 9:00 AM

Regular
Austin, TX

I am big busted and this is what I use for all of my races and training:

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid1212262-001

This is the best support I've found and I've tried a lot of sports bras.  I highly advise using tons of Body Glide under the chest strap areas.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First time lady triathletes - sports bra? Rss Feed