Edinburgh Racing Co-op
14C / 57F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 12s
Overall Rank = 97/168
Age Group = Male Veteran
Age Group Rank = 28/45
Pre-race routine:

Stayed overnight at my mum's so it was a short trip to the race. Had a couple of weetabix then cycled round to the Commie Pool (probably about 3 miles).
Event warmup:

The swim section was a continuious wave, so no chance of any warm up (not that I would have done much anyway).
Swim
  • 13m 30s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

I think when I put my predicted time in I forgot to take into account that it was going to be done in a 50m pool. Seems like half the field had a predicted time of 12min. For some reason I found myself in the first wave of the 12min guys so I was going off in the 4th wave. Scary.
The first length was very interesting, all four of us going at it stroke for stroke, I was wondering what the hell was going to happen when we reached the wall. Mighty impressed with the guy on my LHS, about 5m from the wall he put in a wee burst to get to the wall first. I just sat back and took up position at the tail.
At the 150m mark I made a complete mess of my turn, powder puff push off the wall, coliding with the lane rope. As a result I lost my tow, I made an effort to catch up but man these guys were good. I was now going solo until indignity of indignities, I got caught by a couple of guys from the wave behind me, they must have been flying. I let them pass and tried to hang onto them but they were too fast. The rest of the swim was uneventfull other than my worried glances back at each turn to make sure nobody else was catching me.
What would you do differently?:

It was just too scary being that near the front. I spent a lot of time worried that I might get in the way. Next time remember it's a 50m pool and put down 12m15.
BTW I probably did still get somewhere near the 12m mark as the time above includes the longest run to transition ever. Out the pool, run past the baby pool to the outside, up a flight of stairs, through the front car park then back towards the main entrance and hey you've reached the start of T1.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

All went pretty smooth.

I put cycle gloves on, can't quite decide if it was wise or not.
Bike
  • 41m 51s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 17.82 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty fast downhill start. The wind is hard against on one of the downhill stretches, that can only be a good thing.Finally reach the RH turn for the dreaded climb.What can I say, it's a complete slog. I had been speaking to a guy earlier who nearly had me convinced that it's not that bad, hah, wrong.
I would guess that I was probably the earliest person to break on the sharp descent, I'm just a big chicken.
Second time up the big hill was just as bad but at least you could relax a bit once it was out of the way.
Failed to pass any guys on the cycle - no surprise their.

I've still got pedals with clips on my bike. Next time I race I will hopefully have made the change to some form of clipless pedal.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Only slight problem was needing to adjust the bike next to mine so that I could get the bike back in the box.

Nothing, lets face it if you've already got your running shoes on it should be a smooth transition.
Run
  • 25m 49s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Nice downhill run to get you started. Once I came through the long tunnel I was joined by the front runners in the Duathlon race that was taking place at the same time. Fairly sole destroying as for the remainder of the race masses of people passed me, initially at an incredible pace. About a mile from the end a guy from my club (doing the duathlon) passed me and told me that I was getting caught by another club guy. I had nothing extra left to give and just kept on plodding towards the end.
As with the bike and the swim, I failed to pass a single guy.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

This is a bit of a problem. Yet again I forgot to do any kind of a warm-down. Feeling the effects now as my left calf is seriously tight. One day I will remember to do some stretching.

Event comments:

Very tough cycle for me but enjoyed it now that its down. It's hard to stay positive when you are being passed all the time but I'm starting to get used to it.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:30 | 750 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/45
Overall: 30/168
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Format was continuous waves. About 4 guys at a time are set of together then 30 sec later the next 4 etc. First lane is swum one way then duck under the lane rope and swim both ways for the remaining seven lanes.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:41:51 | 12.43 miles | 17.82 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/45
Overall: 113/168
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Twice round Arthur Seat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:49 | 03.11 miles | 08m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/45
Overall: 113/168
Performance: Average
Course: Through a long tunnel that I never even knew existed then along a dissused railway line to Duddingston Village. Back through Arthur Seat.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-15 5:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: Edinburgh Sprint Triathlon

2006-05-15 9:42 AM
in reply to: #423696

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Edinburgh Sprint Triathlon
2006-05-15 9:58 AM

User image

Buttercup
I thought your times were pretty good! Must be a very competitive field. Hope you enjoyed yourself!
2006-05-16 12:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Pulch, you had a great race!
You swam seriously fast and you must have passed a few people to go from 31st in the field and finish at 28th in your age group.

Good racing even with hills thrown in!!
2006-05-16 6:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland

I have added some photos.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Renee, I've always moaned that not enough lets say not fantastically good people take part in the Scottish events.

Casie, I know what your saying but the trouble is by starting at the head of the field anyone I was faster than me was already behind me. Does that make sense.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Edinburgh Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed