United States
Santiago Cycling
Overcast
Total Time = 9h 04m
Overall Rank = 206/299
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a Clif bar and loaded the bikes up on the car. Drove to the starting location at Sylvan park. Debated what clothes to wear and what to bring with me for a couple of minutes. Ended up going with bib shorts with full leg warmers, long sleeve jeresey (no undershirt) and I packed my vest for the descent at the end of the day. Checked in with the starter and got underway at 6:30.
Event warmup:

None.
Bike
  • 9h 04m
  • 114 miles
  • 12.57 mile/hr
Comments:

This is a very hard ride. I'm used to shorter hills and then having a decent to recover and then beginning the next hill. This ride is nothing like that it felt like I did nothing but climb for the first 72 miles.

I'll break up my ride report by the rest stops.

1) Jack Rabbit Trail - it is exactly what it sounds like...a trail. This was a first for me, I've cycled on bad roads but this was the first time I cycled on rutted and stone covered dirt. A mountain bike might have been more appropriate for this 2 or 3 mile section of the course. The best I can say is that I survived and didn't crash in the process.

2) Next up was Oak Glen which goes up 1700 ft. in 4.8 miles. From the website I expected this to absolutely murder me. I guess that was the correct mental preparation because when everything was said and done it really didn't seem all that bad. It is amazing how much you are willing to tolerate when you expect to be absolutely miserable. This climb was followed by a nice down hill to the base of Onyx.

3) Mill Creek Ranger Station to Angelus Oaks - known as "Damnation Alley". This part was a killer. 11 miles of nothing but uphill. There was not a single foot of the 11 miles that was anything but uphill. This was probably the most difficult part of the day because I thought the remainder of the timed section of the ride was nothing but uphill (meaning an additional 20 miles once I got to Angelus Oaks). Thankfully, I got up to Angelus Oaks to discover there was 10 miles or so of rollers (net uphill, but still rollers). I've never been happier to hear the word rollers before. : )

4) Angelus Oaks to Onyx summit (elevation of 8,443 ft.) - Like I said I have never been happier to be on rollers. After Damnation Alley my legs were ruined so I needed the rollers to recover. Thankfully, by the time I got to the next sustained climb I could smell the finish (if it is possible to smell anything that is still 8 miles away and more than 2,000 ft. up. Anyway, I made it and took a nice 5 minute break at the top.

Time for the timed section was 7:39. NOte: They stop the clock at the top of Onyx summit to encourage people to ride responsibly down the hill.

5) 42 miles of downhill back to the finish more than 7,500 ft. below the summit. This was a great downhill and a lot of fun. One of the rollers between Onyx and Angelus Oaks was brutal but less than a mile long so more than bearable and then Damnation Alley was a blast. However, it would have been even more fun without the headwind blowing in my face.

Total 114 miles with over 12,000 ft. of elevation. The link contains the route profile: http://www.cyclingpros.com/onyxprofile.htm
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I'm very happy with how I did. This is just one of many very hilly rides I will be doing this year in hopes of improving my hill climbing. I took down 16 scoops of Perpeteum (2160 cals) and 2 hammer gels (180 cals) for a total of 2340 cals in 7.5 hours or 312 an hour. Feeding stayed on schedule and I drank a lot of water and took down endurolytes as needed (in addition, to the one additional per hour that was in my fuel bottles).
Post race
Warm down:

42 miles of downhill was enough of a warm down for me

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm just not that fast...but I'm getting faster and that is all that matters.

Event comments:

This was a great race. Everyone was friendly, plenty of volunteers and well stocked aid stations. In addition, they had a very nice lunch for everyone at the finish line. I can't recommend the race enough.

http://www.cyclingpros.com/onyx.htm

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-04-04 12:00 AM
Biking
09:04:00 | 114 miles | 12.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 206/299
Performance:
Will post soon.
Wind:
Course: - 4 Pass Option: 114 Miles with 12,000 Feet of Climbing heads out of Redlands to some great country roads. The first pass is Jack Rabbit Trail – one of Robert Kahler’s favorite climbs that reminds him of climbing on the backroads of France. You will be treated to Food Stop #1 in Beaumont before the beautiful climb up the second pass to the apple orchards of Oak Glen!! This climb is one of the toughest on the Redlands Bicycle Classic, an event that attracts teams from around the world. You will climb 1,690 Feet in 4.8 Miles for an Average Grade of 6.7%!! There are some pieces that are over 11.4% which will leave you Breathless for sure so bring your climbing gears!! The reward is an incredible 7 mile downhill to Food Stop #2 at the Mill Creek Ranger Station Fuel up at Food Stop #2 at the Mill Creek Ranger Station and then for some more challenge and beauty, climb up towards Onyx Summit to Angelus Oaks where there will be a Food Stop #3 waiting for you!! After fueling up at Food Stop #3 in Angelus Oaks, continue up and up until you get to Onyx Summit, 8,443 Feet Above Sea Level, where Food Stop #4 will await you!! The good news is a fantastic and well deserved 42 mile downhill!! Since this ride is comparable in difficulty to the Markleeville Death Ride, this is a 5 GU Major Adventure for Supermen and Superwomen only!!
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard