Gulf Coast Triathlon
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 43m 19s
Overall Rank = 708/
Age Group = m35-39
Age Group Rank = 154/173
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 5:00am and headed down to transition. Huge nerves for this race, but slept well. Set up transition and enjoyed the overall atmosphere as the music kicked on over the speaker system. Once that was done, headed back to the condo to get wetsuit on and generally finalize everything. Watched the pro's take off from the 16th floor, then headed down to the beach for the Age group start. I was excited but nervous.
Event warmup:

No warm up to speak of. Walking, light stretching.
Swim
  • 48m 45s
  • 2078 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

OUCH.. more like WTF just happened to me? Swim was going fine for me. It's my worst event and that shows, but whatever. What happened to me 20-30 feet from shore just before the finish of my swim was my own personal nightmare in the making. I was in the breakwater and guess I thought I could run the rest of the way in. I went to touch bottom with my left leg and it wasn't there... too deep. In my sweeping motion, I induced a massive cramp in my left calf. If you have ever awoken in severe pain with a calf cramp, this was exactly like that. I immediately rolled to my back. The water was too deep to stretch it out by pulling my toes and I was in pain, but that was only the beginning. I have no idea how long it was, maybe a minute when finally, the cramp started to ease. I began to roll back to a freestyle position when in creating the power to turn, my right calf went into an equally massive cramp. Again, I rolled onto my back and had to wait for this new cramp to ease. I was in total agony, but remained composed. I was however, at a total loss as to what was happening. There I was, at essentially the beginning of my first half IM, and BOTH of my calf muscles are in total cramp. I thought my day was over. I mean it's not I didn't need my calves for the additional 69.1 miles that were ahead of me. Anyway, a minute or so later, the second cramp eased as well. I carefully finished the swim and proceeded to do a light jog up to T1 trying to determine if my physical state would allow my day to continue. For the first time in my racing life, I entertained the thought that a DNF was very possible, and at that point, almost probable.
What would you do differently?:

I still have no idea what happened. I need advice here. That cannot happen again. I'm planning on signing on with a tri coach for swim coaching, but that is not going to solve what induced those cramps. I just did St. Anthony's two weeks earlier and had no problems in rougher conditions.

Working theorys:
Had a cold for the previous week and a half: The only other race related calf cramping I have ever had came in a marathon following a much more severe upper respiratory infection. That was only one calf, and came at mile 22 or so of that race.

Potassium deficiency: Not that it would have helped, but I ate a banana about one hour prior to the cramping.

Wetsuit compression on the calf muscles: Less likely because I had zero problems at St. Anthony's.

I raced St. Anthony's hard and did not feel totally recovered. This is getting the most attention from me as the possible problem.

Voodoo doll: There's a few people out there who would probably want to stick pins in my calves during a swim to not at least gives this some minor consideration. :-)
Transition 1
  • 04m 40s
Comments:

In transition I made some evaluations of my situation. My calves were no longer in cramp mode, but the damage was done. They were both burning bad. (I need to research the damage a cramp does). Once I got my wetsuit off, I literally thought to myself. 'F' it.. I can do this. I refocused mentally, but was still way off my game. A very welcome T1 went as well as I could have asked for.

Can't really assess this as my situation was atypical.
Bike
  • 3h 04m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Ah, the bike. 56 miles to turn my day around. My calves were doing 'ok' relative to what happeded earlier, and my bike felt great.. one problem though. On a day where I REALLY wanted to pace correctly because of the distance, my bike computer trashed itself, flashed off, then came back on with an incorrect setting or two.. my bike speed read 30 mph when I clearly knew I was not doing any more than 18 to 20 MPH.. and this was at mile 5. For the rest of the ride I had no idea what I was doing MPH wise and had to go by what I thought was the correct speed. In the end, I actually did pretty good, but could have done better. I wanted to do between 18 and 18.5, and my overall pace ended up being 18.2 MPH. I think I could have pulled off a 19-19.5 pace with no problem on the run... on any other day. In the end, my bike distance read 80.77 miles. Stupid Sigma piece of crap that never worked right anyway. Looking back, my calves were sore, but they did not impact my bike in an obviously negative way.

In retrospect, I should have thrown the computer when I had the urge to do so (mile 6 of the bike). It would have been a cheap thrill, but well worth it. Otherwise, Train with longer rides and more bricks. My longest ride in training was 50 with no brick. My longest brick was 20 plus 3. That's not nearly enough. I think a few 60 plus 8's would be good.
Transition 2
  • 03m 58s
Comments:

This was a strange transition. I have no idea what took me so long. I felt ok, assesed my calf situation further and determined that my day could continue. I was happy with that. I grabbed some sunblock that steamy had given me earlier and applied it where I thought I needed it.

Again, I cannot adequately assess this. I was totally off my mental game and it showed. Mental errors all over the place. Dropping gels, forgetting this that and the other thing, and other time killers to be sure.
Run
  • 2h 43m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

The run started fine and contined that way through mile 9 ish. At about mile 9.1 / 9.3, I blew up completely and mostly walked the rest of the way. I did run the final mile, but by that time, the time damage was done. The run should be my strong point, but this time, it was not. I was insanely hot, had a little bit of race anxiety going thinking I was going to collapse, and was just plain miserable. During the run I had thoughts like.. 'never again', 'Why do I do this to myself?', 'well, not everyone is meant to be an ironman', 'maybe I should just stop racing all together', and actually started humming the American Idol bad day song. I was miserable, and nothing but time could turn that around.

I don't know yet. I want to blame the blow up on my cold, then my training, then my calf cramps, then my attitude.. Of course my training could have been better, but I no longer think that was my issue as I did in the beginning. My training is not so dissimilar to my friends who also did this race and they both did well. Rebecca with a 5:34, and Jimmy with a 5:58 +2 min penalty.. (bwahahahahaha) Also, Harris who was less trained than me, did a 6:23. The more I work it out, the more I know that my issues were most certainly not training related.
Post race
Warm down:

I needed about 45 min to gain my composure. I hydrated and reflected. I also told my group of friends and truly believed at the time that I had no fun (not true) and that I would never do another half again (also not true). Over the next few hours though, I changed my attitude. I was happy with what I was able to overcome, and decided that I am going to come back next year and redeem myself. That and this setback is not nearly the end of my long course adventures. Although I had a really bad day, in the end I learned more about myself and more from this race than any other race has ever taught me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not yet determined. I was shooting for a 6:00, and ended up with a 6:43. I had a lot of issues, but sitting center stage are my calf cramps. I think they played a role I am only beginning to understand. As of this writing, Monday night the 15th, I can barely walk, or even stand up straight because of my calf soreness. I have little to no quad soreness... which tells me that generally, I could have given more.

Event comments:

This is a great event. The volunteers are to be commended. For my race, the water stops on the bike and the run were very well done. The after party is fantastic. I will do this again.

Last updated: 2006-05-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:48:45 | 2078 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 166/173
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Heart rate was high during the swim. Consistantly in the upper 170's.
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction Full.
Course: 900 meters out, right turn, 200 meters over, right turn, 900 meters back. About what I expected surf wise in the Gulf.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:40
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:04:36 | 56 miles | 18.20 mile/hr
Age Group: 156/173
Performance:
Heart Rate was consistantly around 150, 153 during the bike.
Wind: Headwind
Course: Good Course but boring. Out and back type of course with one bridge segment which proveded some well appreciated variation in pace, posture, and muscle useage.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:43:00 | 13.1 miles | 12m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/173
Performance: Bad
HR was never above 160. Mostly around 155 - 158.
Course: Out and back on a brutally flat, sunshine filled course where I could have done without the 'frying pan'.. as another BT'er phrased it, a state park at the turnaround where thoughts of the Sahara Desert came to mind. The course was only ok.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-15 9:30 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2006-05-16 5:59 AM
in reply to: #424684

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon
That was a tough day. Good job pushing yourself through it and overcoming the mental issues. Good luck diagnosing the cause of the cramps.
2006-05-16 7:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Smyrna

Ron - Awesome job pushing through it.  It was great to see you finish and it was really great to see how your attitude changed over the next few hours after it.  I'm glad that my excitement motivated you --- I don't really recommend it though because you get REALLY sleepy around 9:00.

Weird about the calves on the swim.  I really wonder if that started hitting you mentally from the get-go.  You had a great bike though and were able to pace it even with that piece of crap computer.

I can't wait to do the next.  You hit the nail on the head when you said that we do these because they are fun and because of the people that we do them with.  Nice way to recover from a hard race.  Now on to the next!

2006-05-16 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Sorry you had a rough time. I have no idea about the calf cramping, but I'm sure someone on this site will know the answer. I think you are probably right with the voodoo doll theory. Way to stick it out!

2006-05-16 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Covington (New Orleans), La

Wow - that swim sounds scary.  Great job keeping your composure and still managing to pull out a great race day.

Have you ever tried taking Endurolyte capsules prior to racing?  They are from Hammer Nutrition / E-Caps company.   Hubby tells me that even on the swim we sweat a good bit - just don't realize it because we are in the water.  Wonder if your calf cramping was pre-race dehydration?   Just a thought.   We take 2 endurolytes on race morning prior to the swim and stretch a bit and have never had any cramping issues.

Regardless, glad the rest of your day was okay. 

2006-05-19 2:44 PM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA

Wow - I'm extremely impressed that you finished the race with the issues you dealt with - I'm not sure what I would have done. Way to push through!! Remember that you still finished a half-ironman, even if you didn't make the time you originally wanted. It just gives you something to work on for next time, right?! Congratulations!!!

I think the suggestion of dehydration is good one, but it doesn't sound like you suffered from any other dehydration/low sodium issues on the bike or run. It couldn't hurt to try something like the Hammer product (I've been trying a lot of their products recently and have been very impressed) mentioned above.

I'm glad your thoughts of not racing again are gone - time to plan for the next one!

2006-05-29 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran
OK. There was definitely some trouble early on and your training was not up to your usual thorough standards, but.....you completed a HIM! Man, the next one will be that much better because you will be that much smarter about it all.

Get excited. You've done more than most and it was all in one race.

Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed