General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some honest opinions - keep my aluminum tri bike or get a new carbon one? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-04 3:07 PM

User image

New user
Subject: Need some honest opinions - keep my aluminum tri bike or get a new carbon one?

So I am in a little bit of a dilemma here.   I currently own a 2009 Scattante T-560 Aluminum Tri Bike.  I have done sprints and olympics on it and I am currently training for a 1/2 ironman distance tri on April 15, 2012.

I have never owned any other tri bike except for my T-560.  A lot of my friends say that I should get a real carbon tri bike and it will weigh less and I will be faster and more comfortable on it.  So I am out and about looking at bikes in the $2,000.00 price range (money does not grow on trees and we have 2 little ones at home).  I have been to a couple of bike shops and have found a new 2009 Jamis Tri Bike that I can get for $1,900.00.  

After my 50 mile bike ride today I stopped and my local bike shop to get the bike tuned up as it desperately needs it as it sounded like it was going to fall apart today.  I ended up having to get a new set of aerobars as well as mine broke (don't ask).   So I am now out about $300.00 as I was planning on selling my bike whenever I got a new one and will not sell someone something that is not right.

Talking to the mechanic as how I just spent $300.00 and I am looking for a new bike he asked me why I wanted a new bike when the bike I had is a reasonable bike?   I said something like the weight savings.  He asked if I raced in the tires on the bike and I told him that I had race wheels (carbon clinchers) at home.   He then weighed my bike it it weighs just over 20lbs.   He said that getting a new carbin bike might save me a few pounds, but, my bike with race wheels is an adequate bike.  So now I am all mixed up.0

I felt good after my ride today and kept up with everyone (2 of which are female triathletes that just did Ironman AZ).  So I am now thinking is if I get my bike tuned up, get refitted, and use my race wheels maybe I do not need a new bike after all.   My wife says that I can get a new bike if I want to or do some more upgrades, which if I did would be a aero helmet and maybe a carbon seat post.    I know I am not going to get on any podiums.  I just like to do tri's along with my other interests. 

So, any thoughts?????????

2012-03-04 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4079737

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: RE: Need some honest opinions - keep my aluminum tri bike or get a new carbon one?
If you want a new bike and can afford it, by all means go for it.

However, to your friends points, weight is almost completely meaningless when it comes to triathlon bike leg performance. What is important is aerodynamics however, while some carbon bikes are much more aero than a carbon bike, there are also those that are not. As to comfort, there is a certain mythology that carbon bikes are more comfortable and while this may be true in certain cases, comfort is much more a function of tire selection and pressure, wheel selection, frame geometry and overall rider fit on the bike. There is no reason that an athlete wouldn't be comfortable on a well designed alu bike.

If you are happy with your bike, by all means keep it - the bike is likely only a difference of ~60s over an oly distance compared to a high end tri frame.

Shane
2012-03-04 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Leicester
Subject: RE: Need some honest opinions - keep my aluminum tri bike or get a new carbon one?
Shane knows his stuff.

I went from a cervelo 'one' bought for $500 on craigslist, to a carbon bike and I don't feel it is that much more comfortable becaue of the material, but definately allows a better position so is more comfortable in the long run.

You could spend $ on a few upgrades and some coaching and a couple extra race entries, that would make you faster than a new bike.

spend a chunk of your budget on your wife... it will pay greater dividends...
2012-03-04 4:29 PM

User image

I ride an '07 Cervelo Dual. Aluminum frame. And I love it! The only way I would even consider spending the money on a new carbon fiber frame is if my current frame cracked, or if I felt that I was missing podium spots by mere seconds over and over again. 

More than often it is not the bike that makes you fast, but the engine sitting on the bike... 
2012-03-04 6:39 PM

Malvern, PA

New carbon bike will be a little softer ride and might save you 1 pound.

Not going to make any significant difference in your bike times.

Save your money.

2012-03-04 6:48 PM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

"Need some honest opinions - keep my aluminum tri bike or get a new carbon one?"

I'm not understanding the use of "or" in this question...

2012-03-04 7:13 PM

Veteran

I used to have a carbon road bike but sold it to get an alum. tri bike.  After 3 seasons, I found that I prefer riding/training on a road bike.  Sold the tri bike and bought an alum. road bike with carbon forks and seat post.  I honestly like it more than my old carbon roadie.  Might have been the design, but the carbon's ride was rougher. 

Save your money for registration fees!!!

2012-03-04 7:29 PM

In my honest opinion keep the bike that you have if you feel comfortable on it. I went through the same dilemma about upgrading to carbon and to be honest I think I should off kept my trek equinox. Not that the cervelo p2 that I bought ain't a good bike but I don't see my performance increasing by the new ride. I'm still pushing the same watts and averaging the same speed.
2012-03-04 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
With my carbon wheels on my QR Tequilo (alu) frame it is a tad lighter than my buddy's Slice.  Mostly, for me, the difference is not with the weight savings, I like how an alu bike rides more than a carbon frame.  Carbon is too stiff for me, but that is me, I am used to an alu MTB as well.  One clear benefit of carbon is that no one builds their alu frames at the component level of the carbon frames.   But look, if buying a new bike is gonna make you happy and you got the $$ then by all means buy the bike. 
2012-03-04 8:21 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Echoing the others, I think you're better off keeping the alu tri bike and looking for other things that you can do that will yield more benefits than the change in frame material.

-- Can you spare two pounds in your own weight? Much cheaper, and has a broader range of applications than a lighter tri bike (not to mention a faster run split).
-- Improvements in your fit and aero position will likely yield greater benefits than changes in your frame aerodynamics. Get quality advice, and practice that.
-- Do you have a high quality trainer that allows you to train consistently (even when the kids are sleeping) and monitor your gains in power? Much cheaper than a new bike, and likely greater benefits.

As a point of comparison, I have two road bikes: one that I ride most of the time, and another that I keep in Europe and share with my younger brother. They are the same brand, identical geometry, components, etc., but one is carbon and the other is alu. I find that the carbon is a more forgiving ride on some of our rougher roads, but in organized events, especially tris, which tend to cover better surfaces, the ride is almost indistinguishable.

2012-03-04 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4079979

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
larunner262 - 2012-03-04 8:29 PM

In my honest opinion keep the bike that you have if you feel comfortable on it. I went through the same dilemma about upgrading to carbon and to be honest I think I should off kept my trek equinox. Not that the cervelo p2 that I bought ain't a good bike but I don't see my performance increasing by the new ride. I'm still pushing the same watts and averaging the same speed.

Funny. I got a P2 to replace my Alu TrekTTX and was slower that first season on the Cervelo than I was the season before on the Trek. It wasn't until I got my fit really dialed in on the Cervelo that I was able to catch up to my old times on the aluminum bike. If you think buying a carbon bike will magically make you faster ou will likely be quite disappointed.

If money is an issue at all, I vote for sticking with your current ride.

2012-03-04 9:46 PM

User image

Master
Sin City

I agree with the others. If I was in your shoes, I would just keep the tri bike. Sounds like you had the issues resolved by getting things fixed up a little bit. 

I have a nice alu/carbon bike with drops...and I passed a lady on a fancy Cervelo with Aerohelmet, going uphill. It's not the BIKE, it's the engine! She was a little po'd when I passed her...

A 2009 Carbon bike doesn't sound like much of an upgrade, honestly...sounds like just the frame upgrade. 

I would keep the bike, do your HIM, and then start saving up for a tri bike of your dreams....make the HIM goal as the time to start saving.

2012-03-04 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
If all you're worried about is weight then lose two pounds and throw that bike loot in to a college account for the kids.
2012-03-04 9:49 PM

User image

Expert
West Palm Beach, FL
If all you're worried about is weight then lose two pounds and throw that bike loot in to a college account for the kids.
2012-03-05 1:26 AM

Veteran
Madison, Alabama
You're forgetting to use the rule of n+1 where "n" equals the number of bikes you currently own.
2012-03-05 4:41 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Is it for weight or comfort?

If it's for weight, just save the moolah. If you're truly not comfortable (I wonder because you want to upgrade with a carbon seat post, which says to me your man bits are jiggling about like you're in a Jeep on a rough road) then by all means buy the new bike. Personally, I'd save the cash.

2012-03-05 5:25 AM

User image

Elite
Just another vote for keeping the bike. Lose 2 pounds if you're that concerned about the weight and work on the engine to get faster
2012-03-05 1:06 PM

User image

New user
Thanks everyone.  I think at this time I am going to keep my bike and invest in an aero helmet and just keep training hard.   My wife, god bless her, kept on telling me that if I want a new bike I can go out and get one, but, I think I would prefer at this time to do my 1/2IM in 5 weeks and see what happens after that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some honest opinions - keep my aluminum tri bike or get a new carbon one? Rss Feed