Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Bangkok questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2012-03-17 12:59 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Bangkok questions

I'm headed to a conference in Bangkok in two weeks (Wed. to Sun.) and am hoping I can get in some training while I'm there, plus some shopping. I've run there before early AM in Lumbini Park, also loops of some other smaller parks, and will probably do the same depending on the conference schedule, or just use the fitness center treadmill if pollution or scheduling make that necessary. The hotel  has a pool but doubt it's useful for training purposes; can probably use the stationary in their fitness center for biking. Does anyone happen to know of--

1. Pools in central Bangkok where I could get in an actual workout (as opposed to just a relaxing splash)? I don't mind paying, within reason. Ideally 25 meters or 50 meters, with somewhere to lock clothes, etc. while swimming.  Indoors or outdoors okay; would need to have early AM or late PM swim times.

2. Bike or tri shops? I still haven't been able to find an affordable bike trainer in Singapore and the new baggage fees mean I'd pay an awful lot to get it here from the US as additional baggage. It would be cheaper to haul it from Bangkok. Also might be in the market for aerobars, and (as always), Cliff Bars. (Yep, it's me depleting the limited SE Asia supply.)

I know, I can Google this stuff, but it would be nice to hear from people who've actually trained at the pool/ gone to the bike shop before I brave the pollution and public transport to find the places.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

2012-03-17 1:06 AM
in reply to: #4100319

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Bangkok questions

I'm sure you've checked out http://www.swimmersguide.com to find a pool.  

Opps, didn't realize you were coming from Vietnam.  I posted thinking you where coming from the US.  

Edited by jonathan22 2012-03-17 1:07 AM
2012-03-17 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4100319

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bangkok questions
Thanks for the link. Found a couple of possibilties in the likely event the hotel pool is too small/weirdly shaped for training. (It's a pretty basic business hotel, so guessing it will be.) Also might try to sneak, talk, or pay my way into the pool at the more posh conference hotel which, as I recall, is bigger. Yes, coming from Saigon--so no jet lag and definitely used to the heat, which is ghastly this time of year. There is a swim focus week in my HIM plan that week if I can find a good pool--otherwise will just switch the weeks around to do a run focus or a recovery mini-week.
New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Bangkok questions Rss Feed