General Discussion Race Reports! » March Triathlon Series - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

March Triathlon Series - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lake Lopez, California
United States
Cal Poly Triathlon Team
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 58m 26s
Overall Rank = 72/110
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

After a horrific couple of weeks at work, including a long day yesterday spent freezing my ass off, I was exhausted and not really looking forward to this race. When my alarm clock went off at 4 it was a rude awakening, but I dragged myself out of bed. Fortunately I had packed all my stuff the night before, so I was out the door really quickly, and before I knew it I was picking out my spot in transition. I was the first one to arrive at my assigned rack by at least 20 minutes, so I grabbed the end spot. After setting my stuff up I was bored (and cold) so I went back to my car to relax for awhile before coming back to get marked. At 7:40 we got kicked out of transition, which sucked because I had to leave my shoes and warm clothes behind.
Event warmup:

Long walks to/from my car, plus 45 minutes of shivering in my wetsuit.
Swim
  • 30m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

As cold as I was waiting for the start, getting in the water felt even worse. As we were standing on the boat ramp waiting for the horn, one woman said "WHY are we doing this!?" and I laughed because I was asking myself that very question. For some reason I seeded myself near the back, so I spent a lot of the first few hundred yards trying to avoid contact. I fell into a nice rhythm and after awhile stopped noticing the cold. I sighted well and always felt like I was moving fast (relatively speaking of course) but I also felt that I was near the back of the pack. I won't know whether that was true until the splits come out, but I do know that this is my PR swim for the olympic distance by about 3 minutes. Why? Who knows - I asked myself the same question after a similar PR for 70.3 at Barb's last year. There is no explanation, but I'll take it.
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself closer to the front.... or not.
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

For some reason I had a hard time getting my wetsuit off while running, and I forgot to take off my goggles and swim cap, I but made quick work of all of it once I reached my transition area. I took the time to dry off my feet because I knew they were going to freeze on the bike ride. Since I was right near the bike exit, I was out of there in no time.

It's been almost 6 months since my last tri, so I guess I can forgive myself for being a little rusty.
Bike
  • 1h 29m
  • 24.8 miles
  • 16.72 mile/hr
Comments:

I was uncomfortably cold for the first several minutes, but then I started to warm up. While I was in the water, the sun had come out, which was unexpected and glorious. The ride was rather uneventful. As usual, I passed many people and was passed by some. For some reason my right hamstring was bothering me, which was annoying because it hasn't been giving me any problems, and I haven't changed anything on my bike recently. At the 2nd turnaround, I climbed the hill out of the saddle. Coming back in, I was a bit squeamish on the downhills and tight corners, and I think this is a result of my minor crash a few weeks ago. Hopefully my nerve comes back before Wildflower.

Bring a gel. I had nothing except watered-down gatorade. It all turned out fine, but I think I could have used a few more calories.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

The flip side of having the closest spot to Bike Out was having the farthest spot away from Bike In. At least it was easy to find. It was hard to get my shoes on because of my numb wet feet, but I was out of there quickly enough.

This transition felt a little awkward too, but my time was still ok.
Run
  • 55m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I left T2 with about 57 minutes left to meet my sub-3 hour goal time. Right away I was not feeling good - my hamstring was tight and painful, and I really needed to make a pit stop. I was in a really bad mood, and figured there was no way I was going to meet my goal. After the first mile I had passed 2 bathrooms and was regretting it when a 3rd came into view. I took a detour, and while I was in there I tried to stretch out my hamstring. I left the bathroom with about 48 minutes to run 5.2 miles. At this point I figured I would at least give it a good try. Fortunately, my hamstring pain mostly worked itself out. As the miles ticked by, I was still feeling fresh, and each time I passed a mile marker I became more confident that I was going to achieve my goal. When I passed the 4 mile marker, I had about 20 minutes left, and I knew I needed to push since the remaining distance was mostly uphill. When I hit 6 miles with 3 minutes to go, I knew it was in the bag. I crossed the finish line with a minute and a half to spare, and I actually felt pretty good.

I need to remember that when you have to go, 30 seconds in the bathroom is time well spent.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, had a little food, watched part of the awards ceremony, and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I haven't been in the greatest frame of mind lately. Work and ill-timed bad weather has been screwing with my training.

Event comments:

As a Cal Poly alum, I enjoy supporting this race and it's a great way to kick off the season. Now it's time to focus on Wildflower and then IMCdA!

Last updated: 2011-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:33 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 70/110
Performance: Good
Suit: XTerra Vortex 3 full
Course: Counter-clockwise loop in Lake Lopez, starting and ending at the boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 56F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:29:00 | 24.8 miles | 16.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 70/110
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: A nice little hill coming out of the Lake Lopez entrance, down Lopez Drive for several miles to the first turnaround, then right at Hi Mountain Road, several more miles to the next steep hill and turnaround, then back through the Lopez entrance to transition.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:55:01 | 06.21 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 83/110
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back, about half paved, half fire road, mostly flat except near the beginning/end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-03-24 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
Woodland, California
Subject: March Triathlon Series - Olympic Course

2012-03-24 11:19 PM
in reply to: #4111601

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: March Triathlon Series - Olympic Course

Awesome race and PR! You totally deserve this one. Can't wait to see what you can do with the Wildflower course. Sounds like a chilly race.

2012-03-24 11:40 PM
in reply to: #4111601

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: March Triathlon Series - Olympic Course

Great job with that fast swim, and meeting your time goal, Mustang!

I know what you mean about the cold. I did the tri a couple of years ago, and it was frigid... and there was an hour or two between transition closing and the last wave. My trick was to keep my swim stuff in a bag and change out of my warm clothes at the last minute.

Good luck at Lake San Antonio!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » March Triathlon Series - Olympic Course Rss Feed