General Discussion Race Reports! » LeadmanTri Life Time Epic 125 Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LeadmanTri Life Time Epic 125 Distance - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
Life Time Fitness
91F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/250
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, I suppose it was bound to happen eventually. My first DNF. This was the first race of my 2012 season (which happened to fall on the 2nd anniversary of my first ever triathlon)and my 14th triathlon since starting this sport back in 2010. To be honest, I am surprised that it took this long to happen. In the week leading up to this race, I had a suspicion that it was not going to be a normal day at the office for me. I knew that I had not prepared well for this race. My off season after IMAZ last year was a bit too long. I felt under trained and overweight. In the best of conditions, I knew I was not going to be breaking any records today.

The weather forecast on my iPhone called for a "severe wind event" on the day of the race. What is a severe wind event, you ask? Well if sustained winds of 40mph with gusts over 60 doesn't paint a picture for you, let me help you visualize...

Whenever there is a hurricane pounding the Gulf Coast, you can be sure that on the TV there will be some idiotic weatherman standing outside, leaning impossibly into the gale force winds with his parka whipping savagely, while shouting out his weather report into his microphone. Usually the first thing we all think (and rightfully so) when when see this is, "what a moron". So tell me, what kind of moron would do a triathlon in conditions like this? Read on and you'll find out...
Event warmup:

My hopes that the weather reports were greatly exaggerated dwindled as I pulled up to the event parking area. I looked out at the lake and was dismayed to see a violently churning maelstrom. All of the buoys were whipping back and forth in the white, roiling waters, straining against their anchor lines.

My hackles rose further while I struggled to set up in the transition area as strong winds swirled randomly around me, blowing my gear bags all over the place. The truly frightening thought that the forecast called for "intensifying" winds throughout the day went through my mind as I gingerly stepped into the 58 degree water.

This was my first time in the open water since Ironman Arizona all the way back in November...gulp.
Swim
  • 49m 22s
  • 2500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

Two words: In. Sane.

By far, the most challenging swim of my life. As the starting gun fired, I launched hard and immediately pulled out in front as I made my way to the first buoy around 800 yards away. I was amazed at the speed at which I was closing on this first buoy! I almost didn't have to stroke at all. Riding the strong current and winds, large waves kept pushing me closer and closer - it almost felt like body surfing.

As I rounded the first buoy, I began the short 100 yards or so to the second turnaround buoy. Now I was swimming perpendicular to the winds and immediately started feeling queasy as I rolled sickeningly sideways over the swells. I was relieved to finally reach the second turnaround buoy and make my way back. The relief was short lived because now the real challenge began!

Swimming head-on into the wicked chop, I could only imagine those crab-fishing boats that you see on TV being tossed around like toys in the Bering Sea during a particularly violent Opilio season storm. Every time I turned my head to take a breath, I was "bitch slapped" in the face by a large wave. Basically my swim pattern was this: Turn head, take a breath, choke on water, cough and sputter while exhaling, attempt to sight, get another face full of water, repeat as necessary...

The wind was whipping whitecaps and spray everywhere! Because of the swells, I lost sight of all the buoys and even other swimmers! I had no idea where I was on the course or if I was making any forward progress. Sighting was all but impossible. Every now and then random chance would put both me and the buoys at the crest of a wave and I got a quick glimpse to get my bearings. Astoundingly, my navigation was pretty good. Depressingly, my forward progress was not.

After what seemed like an age, I rounded the last buoy, having no idea how I did compared to the others. I felt like I was the only person out in the water. All I know is that I was shooting for a sub 40 minute swim and ended up swimming a 49. Considering the conditions though, I think that was pretty damn good for me.

I exited the water, glad that it was over, and a bit more tired than usual, not to mention dizzy and disoriented from the cold and the waves. I shambled clumsily into T1, relieved to be finished with the first leg of this insane journey but seriously worried about the next leg.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I am actually glad I did this swim. I can safely say that after this, I will never, EVER be anxious about an open water swim again. I think I handled myself very well. I kept calm. I kept focused and I navigated well.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

This was the kind of transition where you had to pack all your gear in a bag before leaving so speed wasn't really important. This day was going to be all about finishing, not breaking records! Frankly, I was glad to have the extra time to settle down and get my balance before heading out.

Put chloroform in my helmet so I would have passed out and not have been able to start the ride.
Bike
  • 4h 20m
  • 68.04 miles
  • 15.70 mile/hr
Comments:

I started the swim with two words. For the bike I'll give you three:

Hoe. Lee. Shit.

With out a doubt, the toughest 70 miles I've ever ridden. The wind was relentless and ferocious! Because of the nature of the course (gullies, berms, and lots of sharp turns) the wind could not pick a direction. It seemed to blow in every direction at once. Violent and sudden gusts threatened to blow me off the road on numerous occasions. At times, it took all my concentration and focus just to hold my bike in a straight line.

Climbing hills was torture! At one point, climbing an 8% grade with 40mph winds pushing me back, I could barely move forwards. Exhausted, I was probably cruising at a blistering 4mph. With around 20 miles to go, my body was starting to shut down.

The temperature had climbed to 91 degrees and I was starting to feel nauseous. Every time I tried to slake my bottomless thirst, I had to fight the strong urge to vomit. This feeling of nausea only intensified as the miles crawled by. Not only had my fatigue surpassed anything I'd ever experienced (even during the Ironman), but my mind was so tired of trying to just stay focused in that perpetual, blustering, furnace.

But even beyond the fatigue, beyond the exhaustion, I mostly felt annoyed. Just imagine how raw your nerves would become if some obnoxious jackass kept flicking your ear with his finger for four and a half hours while loudly singing the theme song to "Jeopardy" - nonstop. That's how I felt. There weren't enough curse words in all the languages ever spoken in the history of mankind to satisfy the rage for the wind that had welled up inside me!

By the time I rolled into transition, I'd spent 4 hours and 20min on the course. I was toast. I also felt as sick as a dog. The thought of running 8 miles straight up the side of a mountain almost made me want to start crying.

Sleep the deep sleep that only a helmet full of chloroform can grant you.
Transition 2
  • 9999m 9999s
Comments:

I stumbled over to an aid station, took a swig of gatorade and promptly vomited all over the asphalt. Game over, man. The world was spinning and all thoughts of finishing this thing oozed away like the pool of my puke slowly making it's way back down to the transition area. In past races, my body has begged me to stop and I ignored it, but this time it wasn't begging. It was demanding. I had no other option so I reluctantly agreed. I will live to fight another day....

I made the right choice. There was no way I could continue. Aside from that, my body was also fricasseed from the sun and another hour plus under that supernova would have roasted me alive. Time to start training for my next race in three weeks.
Run
  • 00m
  • 8.08 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

I plopped down into the lake and cooled off before heading to the finish line to cheer on the truly EPIC athletes who actually made it to the end!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Primarily, it was the conditions of the day that brought me down. I think I must have lost count of the times I heard the phrase "holy crap, that was the hardest thing I ever did!" at the finish line. But also, I was truly not prepared for this race. It was my first race coming back from the off season, and I was only doing half-assed training up to that point anyway. I wanted a good butt-whoopin in the early season, and by Jove, I certainly got one!

Event comments:

I have to first acknowledge two things:

1)My wetsuit - I have a Nineteen Pipeline and even though it is only their "entry level" suit, it is awesome! I've had three different wetsuits so far and this one is by far the most comfortable and the best performing.

2)My trisuit. A big thanks to Epix Gear for providing me with one of the only comforts I enjoyed in this sufferfest. My one piece airflow suit was comfortable and kept me cool even in these insane conditions. Also NO CHAFING!

About the Leadman event:
Aside from the severe ass kicking I received, the event was awesome! First class treatment of the athletes all the way! The swag was out of this world, the course was well marked and supported, the transition area was straight out of the Olympics, and the finish line party was top-notch! Considering that I only paid $125 to enter (with a coupon code - thanks Jordan Rapp!) as opposed to $625 for an Ironman event, Lifetime put on a much better show than WTC.

My two critiques: they should have started the race at 6:30 as opposed to 10:00. The winds always intensify in the afternoon and the extra time would have changed everything. Secondly, I wish there would have been some nutrition options on the bike course. My flask was out of gel about 2/3 into the ride and I was hurting. Big thanks to all the volunteers - it was a brutal, brutal day out there!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:22 | 2500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/250
Performance: Good
Suit: 19 Pipeline
Course: A long bent rectangle running parallel to the shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
04:20:00 | 68.04 miles | 15.70 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: A challenging out and back along the north shore of Lake Mead with plenty of hard climbing in both directions. A tough course on the best of days. Today....impossible.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 9999:9999
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:00:00 | 08.08 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-04-02 4:45 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas
Subject: LeadmanTri Life Time Epic 125 Distance

2012-04-02 4:54 PM
in reply to: #4125603

User image

Subject: RE: LeadmanTri Life Time Epic 125 Distance
Wow, incredible report.   Sorry about the DNF but it sure sounded like the right call.  
2012-04-02 5:04 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Tough day!  You gave your all, and will live to fight another day.
2012-04-02 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas
Thanks guys!  I just found out that I was the 4th guy out of the water (not bad!) and 14th off the bike.  So as crappy as I felt, at least I was competitive......right until that part where I spewed my guts out on the floor hahahahah!
2012-04-02 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
I was one of the swim volunteers in the kayak, and all I can say is great job just finishing the swim , I can't imagine the bike !!

Great job buddy
2012-04-02 8:00 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Wow....smart of you to pull the plug.

Glad to hear it was a top quality race.

2012-04-02 8:57 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River

Bravo e bellissimo!

Well written and reported.    I salute you. Cool

2012-04-02 8:58 PM

User image

Master
Somewhere on the Tennessee River
Hiccup.  Drat

Edited by MadMathemagician 2012-04-02 9:08 PM
2012-04-02 9:39 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
OH MY! One of the owners of our tri club was out there doing it. What her husband posted about it didn't give this image! Rough day man. Great job getting the swim and bike done!

2012-04-02 10:01 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Epic.  I am impressed you got in the water, extra impressed you got on the bike. 
2012-04-02 10:17 PM

User image

Should have taking your Go Pro with you. That would have been something to see.

2012-04-02 11:06 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Awesome.  Sounds like one hell of a race!   what a deal for $125 too.  Next time you'll nail it and be tougher than ever

Edited by djastroman 2012-04-02 11:06 PM
2012-04-03 11:25 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Dude. Wow.
Love your comment about how really harsh conditions drain you mentally, so true.
2012-04-03 11:41 AM
in reply to: #4127193

User image

Expert
Las Vegas

bryancd - 2012-04-03 11:25 AM Dude. Wow. Love your comment about how really harsh conditions drain you mentally, so true.

Yup.  More than anything else it was that!  My mental toughness was not nearly up to the challenge.  I have grown too soft in the off season.  In two weeks, I am starting a 16 week FOCUSED training block to get me ready for IM70.3 Boulder and this DNF has really lit the fire in me!  I am going to be a freaking ANIMAL by August! This, I promise!

2012-04-03 11:54 AM

Master
Northern IL
Great job doing what you did!
2012-04-03 12:25 PM

User image

Melon Presser

You. Are. Tri.GOD!!!!!

Super congrats on getting as far, and as well, as you did. That effort, and in that race on that day, is just epic no matter what.

2012-04-03 12:42 PM
in reply to: #4127403

User image

Expert
Las Vegas
TriAya - 2012-04-03 12:25 PM

You. Are. Tri.GOD!!!!!

Super congrats on getting as far, and as well, as you did. That effort, and in that race on that day, is just epic no matter what.

Thanks Yanti!  I was actually thinking of you out there on the bike course LOL.  Even though our suffering was on opposite sides of the temperature spectrum, I felt your IM Melbourne pain both during and after the race!  I'm happy to be in your company in the DNF club!  Laughing

2012-04-03 1:35 PM
in reply to: #4127290

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-04-03 2:02 PM

Veteran
Dude!! Way to toughing it out.  I was planning to do a race report as well.  But your is exactly what I would have wrote expect about doing AZ Ironman and puking at T2.  I complete the bike, but I started to cramp bad (I wished I puke instead).  I couldn't get off the bike for 15 minutes cause my leg couldn't bend. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LeadmanTri Life Time Epic 125 Distance Rss Feed