TriFREAKS, Inc.
50F / 10C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 51m 17s
Overall Rank = 168/259
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 25/27
Pre-race routine:

My wave start was not until 11:00 am so got up at a leisurely time, toast with peanut butter/honey & coffee. Unfortunately my son was sick so my cheering squad had to stay home. Drove down to Seattle and got there over an hour before my start time.
Event warmup:

None - sat around watched a couple of the earlier waves realizing how badly I had organized my transition backpack.
Swim
  • 27m 3s
  • 800 yards
  • 03m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Performed as expected - was hoping to swim 500 yds in my 15 mins but came up a little short. Wasn't pushing at all so overall pretty much got what I expected which for my first ever tri event is just fine on the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

After leaving pool bikes are waiting on trainers on pool deck so T1 time is included in the 30 mins that are allocated for bike. I've got a lot to learn about transitions and this went as expected. A bit clumsy...too long drying off - what was I doing...drying off, c'mon?!!

Probably everything - next one will be with a different bike and shoes, and should improve as I become more experienced.
Bike
  • 55m 4s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 13.62 mile/hr
Comments:

Again some novice mistakes. I took the concept of not burning out on the bike too literally and held back too much. I should have been able to do much better based on my training but the time does include T1 and it was hot and humid on that pool deck. On the positive side, I certainly was not too tired for the run!

Push harder - much harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 included in run time. This was funny. I thought I was doing well, looked up and all but 1 person in my wave was out the door...ha..I'm like where is everyone, hold on!! I swear I couldn't have taken much more than a minute or so but must have been longer. Again, this will improve with experience.

Everything I guess. I did change shirts which I won't do moving forward but I was drenched from being on the trainer indoors. Pack my transition bag better - seems like I was fumbling for my visor and race belt. At least shoes went on quick with my new performance lock laces!
Run
  • 29m 10s
  • 2.97 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

This went well. I was overly rested from my bike and after the first 1/4 or 1/2 mile didn't feel any fatigue in my legs. The brick workout last week really helped and gave me an idea of what to expect. I caught up to a couple people from my wave that had bolted out of T2 but one girl pulled away again. I think I probably could have pushed this pace harder - I felt great hitting the turn to the finish and crossing the line to complete my first ever triathlon. Wow!!

Leave everything on the course - this is race time!
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing much - grabbed some water. Chatted with a couple of the other athletes in my wave.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of race experience. Poorly planned transitions.

Event comments:

This was a great event for both newcomers such as myself and more experienced triathletes looking to get a start on the season. A ton of fun and real friendly people. Considering the logistics of moving everything through that pool area to stage the swim/bike/transitions they executed real well. I'll definately do this again, with hopefuly a much better performance next year.

Score another for the Rookie Trimaniacs...next time we're really beasting it...:)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-10-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:03 | 800 yards | 03m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 26/27
Overall: 234/259
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Swim is a 15 min timed pool swim and race time is converted to time that it would take to swim 800 yds
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:55:04 | 12.5 miles | 13.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 23/27
Overall: 123/259
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: 30 mins on trainer that included T1 time. Distance covered is then converted to how long it would take to ride a 12.5 mile course based on 30 minute trainer performance - basically same method as swim.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:10 | 02.97 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/27
Overall: 134/259
Performance: Good
T2 is included in run time.
Course: 1 lap around Green Lake - just under 3 miles. Flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-03 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa
Subject: Seattle RainMan Indoor Triathlon

2012-04-05 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4128696

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Seattle RainMan Indoor Triathlon

Great job completing your first tri!  Once you have one under your belt, the rest seem to go smoother.  You learned a lot from this race, from organization to pacing.  Personally I think each tri I have ever done (7 or so) I was still able to take some new insight away with me.

Kudos to you for surviving the biking on the hot, humid pool deck!!  I'd have melted!

When's the next race?

2012-04-05 8:46 PM

User image

Expert

Great report! I agree with you.. When it comes to sprints. I just do it all as fast as i possibly can. 

No holding back. 

2012-04-06 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Lake Stevens, Wa

Thanks Melanie and Kate...yes definately a learning work in progress but a ton of fun!!

Next for me is a couple runs - a 10K at end April and HM in May.  Next tri wont be until June 2 but have got to conquer the OWS...!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Seattle RainMan Indoor Triathlon Rss Feed