HFP
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 2s
Overall Rank = 156/183
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 15/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:10 AM to load up the van and drive over to the race site, I needed to pick-up my race packet and get something to eat. Since I was not familar with the area, I wanted to allow plenty of time in case I got lost. Got to the site at 6:00 AM and they were not ready to hand out race packets or have me set up my transition area.

Drove to McDonalds got some breakfast burritos, a hash borwn and a large orange juice. Drove back to the race site while eating breakfast. When I got back they were ready to hand out the race packets, I picked up my packet, got all the goodies and headed back to the van to get all my gear.

They were going to start everyone in a mass start, but they ended up with more than 150 triathletes, so they switched to a staggered start.
Event warmup:

I really didn't do much warming up, mainly did a swim to "warm up." Course that is an oxymoron when the pool temp is hoovering in the mid 60's. I was very thankful that I had rented a wetsuit, VERY THANKFUL.
Swim
  • 14m 15s
  • 766 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I think there were 13 in my age group, not 100% sure, and I will update that once they post the results. I didn't think I was swimming THAT fast. I am positive either the rush and the wetsuit made a HUGE differnce, or they had the course WAY over measured. I think it was likely the latter.

I started out jogging, and when I got deep enough I started swimming, I felt pretty good even though it was cold. I got into a small group of swimmers, and felt someone hitting my feet, but kept right on swimming. I had drifted a little to the right and was getting into the side markers, but kept pretty well on course. Got around the first bouy and sort of felt like the wheels feel off. I didn't think I was going that fast, but I sure didn't feel like I could catch my breath, my arms were feeling somewhat heavy. I had to switch to breast stroke, well even doing that I felt like I was barely moving. Made the second bouy, the third into a nice long straight away, switching between breast and crawl.

I felt total out of my league, I think every guy in my group had out paced me in the first lap, and I still had a lap to go. Got into the second lap, and was getting so tired that I was afriad I would not make it, flipped over to my back and then did a 15 second back stroke just so I could breath. Back over to the breast and some more crawl, feeling like this is taking FOREVER. I even tread water a to catch my breath, I think that lap swiming has some help, but it really does not allow the feel of "open water" nothing to hand on to for a second to catch your breath... finally after what seemed like an enturnity I hit the exit point, I don't start pulling my wetuit right then, because the transition area is still a quarter mile away.

I begin pulling my strap and free my shoulders from the wetsuit, hit the transition area and grab my towel. Start drying off, pull of my swim cap, drop it, hang up my wetsuit and grab my shirt.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more outside and without something to hang onto. Try to not use the pool edges to steal any more breaths while I am training.
Transition 1
  • 04m 43s
Comments:

I really struggled getting a long sleave biking shirt on here. My arms were so damp it just did not want to come up the arms. Socks went on without a problem, shoes the went on fast too. Grabbed the head sweats, helmet, glasses, and gloves. I used my full finger gloves since to morning was pretty chilly.

Likely change to a short sleave shirt and wear a jacket over it.
Bike
  • 58m 42s
  • 17.5 miles
  • 17.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Started east from the transition area, did 1.5 miles and then turned back on itself. This part was pretty smooth, some rough patchs but mostly smooth. I started catching people pretty quickly, I think I passed 40-50 people on this part of the race (the bike not the first couple of miles).

When the course turned it headed back west, followed that direction for close to 5 miles I guess, some up and down, but fairly level the whole time. I felt great out on this part, I was able to hold my cadence fairly well, didn't push too hard.

We then turned north, and I was still feeling great, biking is my favorite area of the race. Missed one turn when a car was in the way and the guy directing us could not tell me where the course went. Followed along the bike path a couple of miles, some areas of the bike path are in pretty sad shape. During this part the course got a little more technical, had to watch the handling or end up off the path, and into pot holes. This was a big loop and we ended up back where we had first got on the bike path.

Looped back down to our west headed road and headed west some more, by now we had gone nearly 12 miles. Hit the turn around, and headed back to the east. Here is where I suddenly find some hills I didn't recall going down, they were not bad but it was still a little tiring to hit them.

Miles 14, 15, 16 and I am thinking this has been great. Only another 2 miles and then it is the run. Well it came faster than I thought. the course was again marked long. Per my cycle computer we did 17.5 miles. I think I passed another 5-6 people in the last 2 miles, maybe more.

I think not much, I was pretty happy with this part.
Transition 2
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

Slight problem when I came off the bike, my left foot did not want to unclip, so the bike popped around but then I was able to un-clip. Jogged to the rank, hung up the bike, put on my shoes.

Again not much
Run
  • 36m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Well lets see, where to start here. I feel like I really stink at running right now. ALL those people I passed on the bike (or it sure SEEMED LIKE ALL OF THEM) passed me while I "ran."

I am not the fastest runner right now, I am very badly out of practice. I felt like I was moving in slow MOTION. It was not that my legs felt heavy, just that I didn't feel like I could go any furthur. The mental challenge I faced during the run was fairly difficult for me. I was moving what I felt like was pretty slow, but then I would have to walk for a 100 yards or some distance then I could run again. I really didn't think I was moving that fast, so I must have been running a lot faster than I thought.

After running what I felt like HAD to have been a mile, and then coming across the 1 mile marker way beyond that, I felt pretty defeated. I checked my time and saw I had only been running 12 minutes, so I figure it was pretty close. I got 2 cups of water at the mile stand, drank them down and kept moving.

I ran and walked to the turn around, got another 2 cups of water and a gel. Drank the water and saved the gel, since at that point I knew it would not help me for the run. Kept running and walking, hit the mile stand again, and got more water. At this point I felt pretty thirsty, but I think it was pretty much mental not physical.

Finally got to within 1/2 a mile and ran some more, but then needed to walk again. Got to within sight of the finish line and decided I was GOING TO RUN IT OUT, so I ran and finished it.

As I crossed the line, my 10 year old daughter came up and gave me a BIG HUG, which I was grateful for even if I could not really appriciate it right at the moment.

I want to focus more on running over the next month, or 2. I want to be able to run faster before getting off the bike, and focus on that transition as well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around got some water, a banana and additional food. Saw my wife daughter, sons, and baby.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I have been cheating myself in my swims, taking time at the far wall where I should just be turning and going. By doing this I have set up mini breaks that do not happen in open water. I focus too much on distance, but then end up doing a "Long swim" in sets of 100 or 150 or 200. I think I need work on open water swims, and just making myself swim without the breaks.

I also think I need more brick training, making a point of riding 45-60 minutes and then running 2-3 miles right after. This will better prepare me to do these races.

Event comments:

I am glad I did this, it was a good race for me. I was disappointed by my lack of training (more correctly lack of PROPER training.)

I have done a tri now, and now I can work on getting more base training in. Working on building that core running and swimming ability.

I had been toying with moving up to a OLY distance in August, but I think I will stay with Sprints this year, and maybe work on increasing speed and endurance over the winter.

Maybe after I drop another 15 pounds that will help some as well.

Last updated: 2006-03-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:15 | 766 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 168/183
Performance: Below average
Suit: Yes
Course: We did 2 laps around the "worlds largest recirculating pool." It was a fairly easy course, although I think I dropped time to everyone in my group and everyone behind me too.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:43
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:58:42 | 17.5 miles | 17.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/15
Overall: 109/183
Performance:
Not 100%, but I think I averaged a 127 Heart Rate for the biking.
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:22
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:00 | 03.11 miles | 11m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/15
Overall: 171/183
130 I think
Course: Just a loop trough the park, pretty simple.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-21 7:53 PM

User image

Expert
Earth
Subject: Tri for Joe at Coney Island

2006-05-21 9:35 PM
in reply to: #429648

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tri for Joe at Coney Island
Way to go TRIATHLETE!!!

Two weeks
2006-05-22 7:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Congratulations triathlete.  You were flying on the bike--great job.
2006-05-22 7:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Congratulations on your race!!!!!!!  Great race report with lots of detail!!!!!  Thanks for sharing.

Diane

2006-06-01 9:56 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

Awesome job on your first tri!!!!!!

I could relate so just about everything you went through both in the swim and the run - I feel that way just about every time I race.  Nice job toughing it out and getting the mojo to run through the finish.   No matter how badly a race goes for me, I always try to put a little extra out at the finish - it gives you a nice boost.

Great job and great report - let me know if you want an open water partner sometime!

2006-06-01 10:19 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
Great job triathlete! Great race report too.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri for Joe at Coney Island Rss Feed