General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Classic Duathlon - Super Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spring Classic Duathlon - Super Sprint - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mendon, New York
United States
YellowJacket Racing
48F / 9C
Overcast
Total Time = 59m
Overall Rank = 4/84
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Ate at bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats for breakfast. Drank a bottle of water. Got my stuff together and headed off for the race with the family. Wife and son were volunteers at the water stop just outside the transition area.
Event warmup:

Some plyometric drills to loosen up a bit, an easy jog up to the start line.
Run
  • 15m 20s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out slow and maintained my pace. This was a prep race so I didn't want to go all out.
What would you do differently?:

First run went well and I wouldn't have done much different.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Helmet on. Decided to put shoes on in T1 because things were so wet. Crap, forgot to hit the lap button on my watch, did it a bit after getting into T1. Was able to pedal a little bit and get moving before I clipped in. That even impressed me.

Time is estimated since transition times were lumped into the bike time and of course I forgot to do the lap button on the watch.

Tried to mount from the right side of the bike, I almost always mount from the left. This took a few seconds as it wasn't what I was used to.

Remember to press that little button when crossing the mat, but hey, guess that's why we wait for the computer generated times.
Bike
  • 33m 34s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Nearly lost the bike on the first turn onto the major road. Lucky no cars were around. Was a bit of a down hill and down around the turn. Was slowing down coming into the turn and the rear wheel slid out from under me. Before I know it, I had my right foot out of the clips and maintained the blance as I got back on course. I really impressed myself there. If I hadn't gotten out of the clip I would have been sliding on my arse across the intersection.

My bike fitness right now is very low. The weather hasn't been great to get out and ride. I was surprised that the only guy that passed me on the bike was one that had repaired a flat, he was racing in the Full F1 version, and he went by me like I wasn't even moving.

Oh yea, hit that lap button, forgot to do this until after I was out and pedaling for a little bit.

More time on the bike. I think I actually went out a little too hard on the bike. Should have averaged about 150 HR on the bike leg of the race to be more comfortable. I guess it was some where after the near spill that this became more of a race than training prep for the upcoming triathlon.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Unclipped from the pedals coming in. The last 100yds or so was downhill and a no pedal zone. If it had been dry it would have been perfect to get out of the shoes, but being wet, I kept the shoes on until I got to my transition area. T2 went very well, helmet off, right shoe off, right shoe on, left shoe off, left shoe on.

Time is estimated since transition times were lumped into the bike time and of course I forgot to do the lap button on the watch.

According to my watch I had a 6.6 second T2, seeing the pattern here. Forgot to hit the lap button again.

I was much more relaxed in transition for this race than any thing previous. Things seemed to flow well, with the exception of the watch stuff. Glad I had this practice time before the race in a couple of weeks.
Run
  • 08m 6s
  • 1 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

It felt worse than any of my previous little bricks. I went much too hard on the bike given my current bike fitness.

Change to a fresh pair of legs in T2? It's early in the season, things should get better as I get more training in, especially bike time and a few more bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Stop racing. Temp was about 50 with a little breeze. You stop moving and you freeze your butt off. I walked over to the water station the wife was working. Changed into some dry clothes and put on some sweat pants.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hmm, where to start for this. I don't run the trails normally, the extra dips, hills, turns, mud, and such were a little different than what I'm used to. My first two mile run was a bit slower than I had planned. I was looking for a 14:30 to 14:45, was about a minute off that pace.

The bike was difficult, it seemed we were riding into a strong and gusty headwind the entire race. After the near spill I was extra cautious on the turns which may have cost me a bit of time. The uphills were difficult, need to ride more so that these aren't such a problem.

The second run was hard, I wanted to even walk in a couple of spots but I refused to do that. The finish was great, about a 100yd sprint down hill!!!!

Bottom Line: My run is in decent shape compared to last year, my bike is well below my end of season of last year, but I think it's a bit better than it was at the start of the season last year. Based on these result I'm looking forward to a decent race season.

Last updated: 2006-05-20 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:20 | 02 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 9/84
Performance: Good
Avg. HR = 162
Course: Trails in and around the park, some unimproved stone roads and one section on the asphalt. One really nasty downhill stretch, good thing it was only about 40ft down, because it was steep and slippery.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:33:34 | 10 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 4/84
Performance:
Avg. HR = 156
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course went out and around the park. As I'm not in great bike shape yet, I'd say it was hilly. Though they are really not that bad. About 5-6 miles of this course is the same as the area used for the Pittsford Triathlon.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:08:06 | 01 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 7/84
Performance: Average
Avg. HR = 160
Course: Same trails and most of the hills from the 2 mile run. Did a little turn about about a third of a mile in and then headed up the short side of the loop towards the finish area. Still had to run down that nasty little hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-05-22 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
West Henrietta, NY
Subject: Spring Classic Duathlon - Super Sprint

2006-05-22 9:11 PM
in reply to: #430828

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Spring Classic Duathlon - Super Sprint
Looks like you had a good race despite the near spill. Last year, I almost had the same thing happen on that exact same spot. I still have bad dreams about that turn and having a car coming.

Wish I had met you at the race. I'm sure you were one of the first people to fly past me on the run.

See you at Pittsford.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spring Classic Duathlon - Super Sprint Rss Feed