First Gear
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 14s
Overall Rank = 9/66
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

Got up early and ate breakfast. Oatmeal and coffee, it wasn't enough cause I felt like I ran out of fuel half way through the run. Packed up the car and headed out. Got there early and set up in plenty of time for the race.
Event warmup:

Once we got body marked we ran a bit and then put on the wetsuits and did a short swim warm up.
Swim
  • 11m 8s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

There was some girl that was pretty fast and I ran over her twice during the swim. I thought I came out second only to realize that some other guy had gotten around us and hit shore first.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, it went pretty well for a mass start. I was able to stay out in front pretty well.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition went pretty well. I was able to get my feet in the shoes much better this time. I didn't get the time, but I would say it was around 1:30.

Not much, it went well. It would be nice to have zippers at hte ankles of the wetsuit cause I always get hung up there.
Bike
  • 33m 33s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 22.23 mile/hr
Comments:

There were some fast guys on the bike, there's no doubt about that. I was able to catch up on the hills and then lose ground on the flats. Kinda frustrating.

Use water on the bike. The gatorade was too sweet and I couldn't drink much of it. I do feel like I have my bike dialed in for racing though. It was comfortable and I never came out of my aerobars.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

When I put on my shoes the back of the heel caved in and I had to mess with that for a bit before I took off. Other than that it was ok.

Focus on getting my shoes on right without having to mess with the heel of the shoe.
Run
  • 25m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

This felt like crap. I got passed in the last mile by another guy in my age group and I had nothing left to mount any kind of kick at all. This is by far my weakest leg of the race. Maybe and Aquabike would be more my speed. Obviously I'm not happy with my run performance.

More speed work? I don't know what to do about it, I'm faster than last year but not by much.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My @#$%ing run!

Event comments:

For the first time they've done a triathlon, it was a great race. It made the Spring Sprint seem like a joke. They didn't have any kind of timing system, but the times were acurate anyway. I was very impressed with this race.

Last updated: 2006-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:08 | 820 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 3/66
Performance: Good
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Clockwise loop very close to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:33:33 | 12.43 miles | 22.23 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 5/66
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: A pretty cut and dry, out and back. There was a little head wind on the way back in that zapped my legs a bit and it wasn't nearly as flat as one would expect. It was similar to the Rattlesnake coarse only the hills were not as steep and much longer.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85+
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:33 | 03.11 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 32/66
Performance: Below average
Course: VERY flat loop around the park.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-05-23 8:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Aurora, CO
Subject: Mudwater Triathlon

2006-05-23 9:22 AM
in reply to: #431169

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Mudwater Triathlon
Hey Bro - Nice race! 9th overall is very respectable.  Don't sweat the run too much.  Looks like you absolutely torched the bike course at 22 mph so maybe your legs were a bit cooked for the run.  Besides, it's supposed to be fun, so make sure you enjoy it
2006-05-23 9:46 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice race. I'd imagine that the winds in Kansas could have gotten to be a lot worse so all in all, not a bad day. As for the zippers on the ankles of the wetsuit, they're alright but still get stuck around the ankles every now and then. Two races and two good finishes - nice work!
2006-05-24 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
So, was the water as muddy as the race name made it out to be??? Hope you loved the wheels! Great result. Congrats!
2006-05-24 4:46 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Wow, nice race!

Hopefully we can meet up before the start of the 5430 because with those times you'll be long gone before I finish.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mudwater Triathlon Rss Feed