General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Marquee Triathlon - Half Iron Course - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Tempe, Arizona
United States
Red Rock Co.
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 21m 39s
Overall Rank = 145/221
Age Group = F4549
Age Group Rank = 7/14
Pre-race routine:

Sipped half an amino-acid drink, had half a hammer gel right before the start. Stepped in dog crap on the way to the lake. Got in water about 4 minutes early to get breathing settled down.
Swim
  • 47m 48s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

One of my better T1's, thanks to wetsuit strippers! Pretty long run into transition from swim, but I was near the bike exit, so run out was quick.
Bike
  • 3h 08m 45s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Good hard effort for the whole distance. Didn't take in enough calories. The first hour just didn't want anything, then was playing catchup after that. Got down one bottle of Perpetuum and most of a second, but only about 1/2 a Honey Stinger waffle. Very little water- it was still pretty cool and I wasn't sweating much. Left about 300 calories on the bike. Did take some Hammer supplements twice- Endurolytes, Endurance Amino, and Anti-Fatigue.
What would you do differently?:

Force down some Perpetuum in the 1st hour; try to stick to the plan.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Got off the bike and tried to run, but legs didn't work! Felt like rubber bands. After a few yards, managed a slow trot. Long run to my rack, then I went down the wrong side and had to come out and go around to the other side. Got .1 mile out on run course before remembering race belt (with bib and nutrition), and had to turn back.

Put a small laminated checklist on my towel to refer to when brain fade sets in!
Run
  • 2h 20m 7s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Paying the price for going hard on the bike. Never felt very good, and starting going downhill around the 4th mile. It was just a death march after that. Making bargains with myself to just keep running until the next bridge, the next aid station, whatever. Didn't walk until the last 1/2 mile, and then couldn't decide if it felt any better than running, so just ran it in. Got down 3 of the 4 Gu packets I had intended; the first three on schedule every 3 miles, and just didn't feel like any more after that. LOTS of water; it was getting warm. At every aid station, I poured one cup on my head, another down my back. Refilled handheld water bottle every couple miles. Took Hammer supplements about 20 minutes in. Time includes the extra .2 I ran due to forgetting race belt.

Go a little easier on the bike, and get more calories in on the bike. I did more than enough run training; I just didn't have any legs left to run on!
Post race
Warm down:

Trying not to pass out! Had to sit down and examine my shoes for a minute until the cobwebs cleared. Felt better after drinking some fruity coconut water they were giving out. Got a rubdown from the PTs who were there. Had my Recoverite a little while later and felt pretty good after that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing and nutrition on the bike; live and learn! I'm glad I pushed it, though, to see what I could do.

Event comments:

Red Rock did a great job- well organized, good support, enthusiastic volunteers, LOTS of porta-potties! Didn't need one, but sure was glad to see how many there were, both at transition and all the aid stations.

Last updated: 2011-10-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:48 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/14
Overall: 179/221
Performance: Good
Suit: Full sleeve
Course: counter-clockwise square, one loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:37
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:08:45 | 56 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Overall: 154/221
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops; half in town, half on Beeline highway. Second loop was starting to get windy and last 15 miles had strong headwind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:20:07 | 13.1 miles | 10m 42s  min/mile
Overall: 154/221
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loops around the lake.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-16 11:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Marquee Triathlon - Half Iron Course

2012-04-16 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4153514

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Subject: RE: Marquee Triathlon - Half Iron Course

Congratulations on your race!!!  Very impressed that you ran the whole way!  (1/2 mile to go doesn't count).  Will heed your advice on nutrition.

Congrats again.  And a great picture you posted.

2012-04-16 12:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Scottsdale
Great job hanging in there and running the course!  These flatter courses can sneak up on you nutrition-wise if you are not careful.  The great thing is there is always another race to put what you learned to good use!  Congrats!
2012-04-16 4:57 PM

User image

Regular
Great job Tammy. The pix of you at the end was cool. Except for ambulance behind you??? Not many peeps can say they've done what you just did in the time you did it in. Keep practicing your food intake especially on your longer rides.

Edited by joes 2012-04-16 4:59 PM
2012-04-17 12:47 PM
in reply to: #4154366

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
WEll, you certainly did better than ME who was sitting on the couch!!  I know it's hard to force down water and nutrition when you're not feeling the need for it, but 6+ hours is a LONG time to be moving!!  I think you did FABULOUS, my dear, I am so proud of you for sticking with the training and executing a good race... you'll take all those lessons you learned to IMAZ, including watching out for dog poo!!
2012-04-26 4:10 PM
in reply to: #4156088

User image

Veteran
Austin
Way to go!! I'm so proud of you and you really are an inspiration for so many of us.  You trained so hard and it sure looks to have paid off.  What an especially impressive bike time!  Sounds like you had an amazing race and learned a lot from it.  Eagerly awaiting your next great feat in a few weeks.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marquee Triathlon - Half Iron Course Rss Feed