Coffee, water, oatmeal. Drove to the site
Event warmup:

Walked around to check out the swim course and drank some water
Swim
  • 44m 10s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had pretty high hopes for the swim after completing the Columbia Stroke Clinic. My pool times have improved, so this was a disappointment. Harbinger of the day. As I was watching the first waves go out, saw a guy had cut his foot - not good, and noted to myself to be careful Nonetheless, majorly stubbed my toe on some slag concrete. Overall, I felt very comfortable on the swim. Focused on doing good rotation and pulls, just like training and practice. One thing I noted I wasn't keeping my head down as well as in the pool, and when I was breathing on the right side, I was strongly veering to the left. So, did more left side breathing, which was good for sighting the bouys, but not so good for keeping my eye on the other folks. After about 500 yards into the swim, I felt my left calf beginning to cramp. Odd, I never experienced that before. At 1000, the cramp turned into full blown intense pain, and I could no longer kick. So, I did my best to pull myself in and massage and stretch it the best I could. After an eternity, I finally came to the ramp. I'm glad I checked it out before, as I would have never recognized it from the water, and even then I wasn't sure. Got help out of the water, and walked up the hill trying to stretch my calf as best I could.
What would you do differently?:

Not get a cramp, sight more often, keep my head down.
Transition 1
  • 04m 22s
Comments:

After the swim, wanted to take some extra time to prepare my legs for the bike. Really, really bad clipping my right shoe into the pedal. Must have taken my several hundred yard before I could finally get it in.

Clip in sooner
Bike
  • 1h 29m 51s
  • 23 miles
  • 15.36 mile/hr
Comments:

First loop very uncomfortable and unsteady. First time racing with new bike fit set-up. Felt very unstable on the aero bars with other cyclists around me. One time when I reached down for my water bottle, I went off the course - not good. Averaged around 18+ mph, even with the cramping, so that was good, and per my plan to save something for the run. Second loop, a little more confident because by then with my late wave and slow swim, most cyclists were off the course. However, the wind picked up, and there were some very strong headwinds and sidewinds. I didn't mind since I thought it would be a good experience for Eagleman. About 5-6 miles to go, noticed the handling was getting even more squirelly, and looked down to see if I could see a problem. Yep - rear wheel really low on air. Can I make it? I'll try. Nope, at 5 miles the tire was pretty flat, so got off, and decided to see if shooting a CO2 cartridge into it would make it. I appreciated people asking me if I was ok. Tire full, I went off again, and passed the few people that passed me, only to have it go down again with only 2 miles to go. Same routine, and I finally made it to transition.

Not have flats. Spend more time on the road and not on the Computrainer.
Transition 2
  • 04m 20s
Comments:

I just wanted to get off the bike and ready to run. Didn't want to spike my heartrate, and my time was shot anyway.

nothing - was no longer trying for any sort of time.
Run
  • 1h 20m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

By now, both of my calves had gone into full blown cramping mode, and I just wanted to do the best I could. Given the first part of the run course was down the hill to the swim start, I knew to expect some newly placed sharp gravel rocks, and to be careful. At the turnaround, I had no legs, and began the first of many walke. Shuffled along the best I could with the tightness and cramping. The back side of the loop was just unpleasant. Sharp gravel rocks, dust being kicked up, and even bigger sharper rocks down by the water at the turnaround. I hated this course. All I wanted to do was get that red band signifying I had completed one loop. I was so envious of those runners coming back up the back half, knowing I still had a loop to do. But, since I was running to honor fallen Naval Academy graduates, there was no way I was quitting, because they didn't. I knew I was fortunate to be here, when they had sacrificed so much. Second loop was a repeat of the first, and I can't begin to tell you how much I appreciated the other athletes who had finished cheering me on. It really perked me up, and made me want to finish strong, even though I was having a pretty bad day. Thanks!

Something is wrong with my training. My legs have been a source of frequent cramping and tightness since beginning this season's training. I think the lack of resistance training has caught up with me.
Post race
Warm down:

Water, food. Wanted to get a leg massage, but it didn't work out. Went later when I got home after sitting in traffic.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

legs

Event comments:

I rated this too hard and below average because of the very poor run course for me. I have very tender feet, and this is not the surface for me. Too many turns and sharp rocks.

This was supposed to be a training race to evaluate my progress and to experience the new bike fit. As bad as it was, it served it's purpose to highlight a lot of things I need to address. I'm pretty concerned about my ability to complete Eagleman at this point.

Last updated: 2011-12-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:10 | 1640 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/39
Overall: 0/511
Performance: Bad
Suit: xterra sleeveless
Course: Rectangular left turn course. Well marked. Seemed long
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:22
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:29:51 | 23 miles | 15.36 mile/hr
Wind: Strong
Course: Rolling course around Lake Anna. Decent roads, good support.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:20
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:20:31 | 06.21 miles | 12m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Gravel, rocks, boulders, dust, ruts, long grass, multiple 180 degree turns, 2 loops - is this an xterra course?
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2012-04-17 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Subject: Rumpus in Bumpass International

2012-04-17 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4155685

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Rumpus in Bumpass International

1st thanks for posting.  I know it is frustrating sometimes.  Shoot after my 1st dualathlon a few weeks back I was ready to sell my bike.  Hang in there, U can do ur next race too.

2nd, thanks for running for your fallen friends!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  U R right, they didn't quit and neither did U!

I have trouble w/ calves while swimming too.  My coach is telling me to get more balanced in the water, head down, not up, this will force ur legs up.  I practice leg kicks but in reality, kicking does very little for swimming so when U practice again, if U kick a lot while swimming, practice w/o kicking.  Now in saying this, I am NOT a  swimmer, just passing along what the coach says.

I do know that when muscles start cramping, it is very difficult to get them to stop.  have U tried taking Aleve or something like that, prior to the race and during the race?

Go ahead and try the next race.  U can't finish if U don't start!

2012-04-17 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Thanks for finishing!!!  You had some tough luck on the bike and starting the swim with a sore toe didn't help.

You've got two months until Eagleman to pull things together.  I used this as a run-through for Eagleman too.

Keep working hard.  

I guess do some research on the cramping during the swim.  

Good luck.

Also, I just saw the space shuttle Discovery doing its flyover in DC...my post in Facebook seems appropriate here:  "Makes one realize that we can accomplish tremendous and amazing things when we put our full spirit and mind to work."

2012-04-17 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

Getting a flat in a race always sucks.

The gravel was no friend sepecially with your cramping issues. Way to gut it out.

2012-04-18 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Luis Obispo County, CA
Thanks for the advice and encouragement.  I didn't know calf cramping during swimming was so common.  Time to get back to work!  I've got a 70.3 to train for!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpus in Bumpass International Rss Feed