3rd Place Age Group Finish
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 14s
Overall Rank = 75/379
Age Group = 50 - 54
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Set alarm for 4 am, awoke at 3:40. Got up to eat right away. My usual: coffee, oat/nut cereal with honey and yogurt. Drank water and had a power bar on the way to the race. Checked gear one last time and left at 4:40 am. Gates opened to the park at 5 a, and I wanted to be there early to get a good spot for the bike. It worked; had a great location.
Event warmup:

Did a short bike ride and run. Stretched, but not enough.
Swim
  • 11m 47s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was a disaster. I chose to be close to the buoy line for the start hoping that would allow me to keep on course. My mistake was being in the second row and not having clear water. The swim was a constant struggle to just swim, never mind trying to establish a pace. I wa always on top of someone or vice versa. Did a lot of Tarzan swimming, flailing and breast stroke to try to gain bearings and get up some momentum. When I finally got to clear water, I had to do breas stroke and even roll to my back to catch my breath. I was quite shocked at what a disaster the whole thing had become.
What would you do differently?:

Must start at the front and get a pace going quickly to leave the others behind. Think I will start on the outside next time. Talked with the age-group winner, Nick Scott, who has national age group ranking (38th) and that's where he started.
Transition 1
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

T1 was fine.

Simply must be faster. Should be able to cut transitions down to 45 seconds.
Bike
  • 43m 26s
  • 15 miles
  • 20.72 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went well

Have not found a weakness in the bike segment. Just need to pick it up, thru training, to 22 mph avg. Was ver pleased with the number of folks from earlier waves that I passed.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

My bike space had been taken by the time I got in, and when I tried to squeeze it in, the whole rack started to topple. Luckily, volunteers were stationed nearby to help in just such cases and handled the situation so I could focus on shoes and going.

Get faster.Satisfied with transition, but would like to keep them under 1 min.
Run
  • 22m 32s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Very soon into the run I got cramp in my right shoulder; it hurt to carry the arm freely. That was soon followed by a stitch in my right side. I ran through these pains, but I probably would have gone harder and faster without them. I do a lot of running, so I was surprised and a bit agitated that I had these pains. Did not take the time to put socks on in the transition and soon I got a nice blister on my right heel. That stung and definitely screwed up my pace. Nevertheless, I pushed hard on the run and passed many folks from much earlier waves, including the guy in my age group who took 4th, about 1 1/2 mins behind me. He came up to me later and said how strong I looked in the run. Little did he know.

I think I'll try socks in the next tri, and I will try to run harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim, a 20 mph avg on bike and a 22 1/2 minute run. Need to get a better swim start, push training to pick up 2 - 3 mph more on bike and continue hard speed work for better running.

Event comments:

Met one of my two goals, which was a top-three finish in my age group. The other was to have a time of 1:15 or better. I would not have taken a third in last year's field; 2nd and 3rd were taken buy times right around 1:15. I am extremely happy for my first race and a 3rd place age-group trophy, but now need to work on shaving 5 or more mins overall. A very well organized race. All proceeds go to charity, so post-race activiities take a back seat to donations.

Last updated: 2004-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:47 | 600 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/379
Performance: Bad
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Out and back around a single bouy.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:15
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:26 | 15 miles | 20.72 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flattish, but there were some long sloping hills. Got up to about 32 - 34 mph on the downhills, and the climbs up were not steep, just average-long.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:32 | 03.1 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: The first 1/3 of a mile was on wet, grassy slopes and muddy, wood-chip-covered trails. We've had a lot of rain, and the trail was very soft and even rutted in some places from earlier runners. It also had short, steep hills. Finally broke into the open road for the remainder of the run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2004-06-13 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: Quad Cities Triathlon

2004-06-13 8:39 PM
in reply to: #31109

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Quad Cities Triathlon
great race, especially for a first...
2004-06-13 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Thanks Donna. Say "hey" to Traveler's Rest, SC, next time you're out that way. My dad lives there. 
2004-06-14 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Owen
Nice job, wish I could run like that. I am a swimmer, how bout next year I'll swim for you and you can run for me?

Mindy
2004-06-14 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa
Mindy - You're on! Actually, if you could just keep everybody out of the water while I swim, that'd be perfect! Thanks, and great job yourself.
2004-06-14 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Excellent race! Congratulations on your podium finish!!

Kelly

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Quad Cities Triathlon Rss Feed