Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-04-25 12:29 AM
in reply to: #4167736

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Virginia
Subject: RE: Going Cable-less

Well, we finally bought a TV this year, so that was a start....

We have really fast internet and the basic stations. Whenever I look through the TV guide listings online I notice that there really isn't anything that I want to watch anyways. We watch network shows on Hulu usually anyways and the History Channel puts up Top Shot, so we're good. It's actually easier than you think. Now if I could kick my internet habit, I'd be golden!

2012-04-25 8:44 AM

User image

Chicago
I'm in the process of cutting cable right now. Just hooked up a computer & digital antenna to our TV and using the DVR that's part of Windows Media Center on the computer to record network & local shows. And, fortunately, the few cable networks we watch have their episodes online, so we'll be able to watch those through the computer/TV, as well. Have had Netflix streaming for quite awhile, and that, along with PBS, is all my kids watch, so we should be all set!
2012-04-25 10:13 AM
in reply to: #4169916

User image

Master
Climbinggonzo - 2012-04-24 12:27 PM

x2 what everyone else said.

Although I still haven't figured out how to just get local channels, ABC, NBC, Fox etc.  I'd really like to watch the Olympics this summer. 

I thought NBC was going to broadcast simultaneously from the interweb.

2012-04-25 5:01 PM

User image

Regular
Tennessee

Digital box and rabbit ears here also.  Only time we ever had cable was when we lived in Terre Haute, Indiana -- Our son was 3 and you could not get Sesame Street without cable (no PBS station).  That was 20 years ago, and really haven't missed it.  Don't know when we would have time to watch much more than the news, a little sports, and the odd episode of CSI.

We have 5 kids, so we have obviously found other ways to entertain ourselves!

2012-04-25 5:02 PM

User image

Regular
Tennessee
For clarification, I was talking about soccer games, band concerts, dance recitals, and any other kids activity you can name.  What were YOU thinking???  Wink
2012-04-25 5:21 PM

Roswell
Cut off satellite about 3 years ago.  We used to watch Hulu, etc but now just go with whatever is over the air (or nothing at all).

2012-04-25 7:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
We did that 10 years ago. We signed back up a few years ago. It's not permanent. Give it a try.
2012-04-25 8:03 PM
in reply to: #4171170

User image

Payson, AZ
froglegs - 2012-04-24 9:05 PM
rkreuser - 2012-04-24 8:38 PM

Ok, I'm in. 

However, I'm trying to figure out how to watch sports with the Netflix/HD antenna world. Not so worried about NFL, MLB, or NHL but seems like I'd be missing WGN, FoxSports Detroit (Tigers, Wings), any Premier League or F1 action. How does the non-cable world handle these? 

Not sure what you're streaming through, but my Roku has a million channels. I haven't explored them much, but I'm pretty sure there are a ton of sports channels that cover everything you might be interested in, although I'm not sure what they cost.

Yeah, take a look at Roku and see if they have the sports you want.  Sports is the big issue with no TV though.  Also, for an antenna to work you have to be within range of the towers.  There are sites you can use to tell if your location will be in range or not.  Right now I am so I use Roku with Hulu+ and the antenna.  Works great.  But I am moving to a location with no stations in range so we are going back to tv for a bit. 

2012-04-27 8:58 AM

User image

Regular
Nothing except local since 1993. Maybe watch TV 3 hours a week except for DVDs on the trainer or bad weather weekends.
2012-04-27 11:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

My job is to interview thousands of people about this exact situation, and there is def a trend toward no cable or satellite any more.  I travel the entire country doing the tv type survey and I'm not sure if it is a money thing or a rebellion issue, but netflix, hulu, and internet tv viewing is way up.

Now that Universal Sports is gone, I could drop Cox today, but wifey is addicted to QVC, so cable it is.  Cause if momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy!!!

2012-04-28 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4177931

User image

Payson, AZ
SWIM2LIVE - 2012-04-27 9:52 PM

My job is to interview thousands of people about this exact situation, and there is def a trend toward no cable or satellite any more.  I travel the entire country doing the tv type survey and I'm not sure if it is a money thing or a rebellion issue, but netflix, hulu, and internet tv viewing is way up.

Now that Universal Sports is gone, I could drop Cox today, but wifey is addicted to QVC, so cable it is.  Cause if momma ain't happy, ain't no body happy!!!

For me it was a money thing, but not that it is too expensive but rather that it is not worth the money they charge.  I felt I was not getting value for my money. 100's of stations, hell, even 50, doesn't matter if all your serving up is crap.  I'd love a TV provider to come out with the ability to custom packages, pay by channel, and make it reasonable.  I just want the basic channels and sports. 

2012-04-28 11:54 AM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

Have never owned a TV.  I do use Hulu.

It's only tough during certain sporting events (like the Olympics) and debates.  Luckily in 2008 I had a viewing buddy within walking distance for key moments of both.  I remember calling her right before the Biden-Palin debate:  "I'm bringing popcorn!"

2012-04-30 3:08 PM

User image

Regular
lowell

Been free of cable for about 5 years now, just an antenna, hulu+ and Netflix for me.

Best thing is that you can always try the no cable thing for a month or two then sign back up as a 'new customer' and get the cheap rates for a year till they 'reward' you for being a customer and jack your rates.

my $.02 that I can't afford.

2012-04-30 3:23 PM
in reply to: #4178016

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
bzgl40 - 2012-04-28 6:33 AM
SWIM2LIVE - 2012-04-27 9:52 PM

For me it was a money thing, but not that it is too expensive but rather that it is not worth the money they charge.  I felt I was not getting value for my money. 100's of stations, hell, even 50, doesn't matter if all your serving up is crap.  I'd love a TV provider to come out with the ability to custom packages, pay by channel, and make it reasonable.  I just want the basic channels and sports. 

ME TOOOOO. What I wouldn't give for a customizable package. Let me pick 10 channels, that's all I ask. 

The inter-webs are moving a little that way... for the NCAA March Madness this year I paid $3.99 for an all-access, all-game internet pass. Stuff that was on ESPN channels I didn't have.

2012-04-30 3:37 PM
in reply to: #4173491

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
bzgl40 - 2012-04-25 9:03 PM

froglegs - 2012-04-24 9:05 PM
rkreuser - 2012-04-24 8:38 PM

Ok, I'm in. 

However, I'm trying to figure out how to watch sports with the Netflix/HD antenna world. Not so worried about NFL, MLB, or NHL but seems like I'd be missing WGN, FoxSports Detroit (Tigers, Wings), any Premier League or F1 action. How does the non-cable world handle these? 

Not sure what you're streaming through, but my Roku has a million channels. I haven't explored them much, but I'm pretty sure there are a ton of sports channels that cover everything you might be interested in, although I'm not sure what they cost.

Yeah, take a look at Roku and see if they have the sports you want.  Sports is the big issue with no TV though.  Also, for an antenna to work you have to be within range of the towers.  There are sites you can use to tell if your location will be in range or not.  Right now I am so I use Roku with Hulu+ and the antenna.  Works great.  But I am moving to a location with no stations in range so we are going back to tv for a bit. 

Exactly. Bafore DirectV had local HD channels, I installed an antenna with an amplifier. We're 50 miles from the closest broadcast tower and 70 or so from the farthest in our area. I could only get 2 stations to come in which were in a favorable line of sight. I did, however, get to see Superbowl XL in HD which was my objective.

Check www. antennaweb.org for a map and a decent probability for reception.
2012-04-30 10:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
We gave up cable a little over 3 years ago. I was tired of paying big $$ for 90% of what I don't watch. I agree wholeheartedly with others on here - if someone would create a pay-per-channel scenario I would be ALL OVER IT. With the digital converter and an antennae plus our Xbox with Hulu/Netflix/ESPN I feel like we get 99% of what we want for a minimal price. The only thing that is tough is knowing that I won't be able to watch the Grand Tours starting in a week as NBC Universal Sports bailed on the free digital receiver. I was deeply upset by this, but rather than subscribe to a cable-type provider to get these, I will just find them on the web and pay a one-time fee, or go to a local pub and watch.

I refuse to pay for all those channels I never watched...with Hulu and the major networks on digital we don't miss many shows - I feel like I am winning the war

2012-05-01 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4182741

Master
Houston, TX

sulross - 2012-04-30 10:48 PM We gave up cable a little over 3 years ago. I was tired of paying big $$ for 90% of what I don't watch. I agree wholeheartedly with others on here - if someone would create a pay-per-channel scenario I would be ALL OVER IT. With the digital converter and an antennae plus our Xbox with Hulu/Netflix/ESPN I feel like we get 99% of what we want for a minimal price. The only thing that is tough is knowing that I won't be able to watch the Grand Tours starting in a week as NBC Universal Sports bailed on the free digital receiver. I was deeply upset by this, but rather than subscribe to a cable-type provider to get these, I will just find them on the web and pay a one-time fee, or go to a local pub and watch. I refuse to pay for all those channels I never watched...with Hulu and the major networks on digital we don't miss many shows - I feel like I am winning the war

This is not directed specifically at you, but to all those who would like pay-per-channel.  They kind of do have it.  iTunes (and I'm guessing amazon?).  It's more pay-per-show, but same thing.  you don't watch all the channels in your package, you don't watch all the shows on the channel either.  I think their pricing model is messed up, but it is there.  They just don't have sports.

2012-05-01 3:23 PM

Veteran

We cut the cable off too. We also rearranged our living room so that seating is no longer centered around a television. Instead we've centered our seating around the beautiful view we have outside our back, sliding glass door.

I always noticed that our dog would never sit and watch tv. Instead he would sit by the back door and look out the window. He had it right all along. He was watching reality. What were we watching?

2012-05-01 4:14 PM

User image

Master
Ohio

I didn't read all the responses, but we not only went cable-less but don't have Net flicks or any of the other streaming show services.

We do hulu for the shows we have to see (which, outside the daily show is none.) Otherwise the 20 year old set is hooked up to a DVD player which does not see much action either. Over all I'm happy and better off without cable, Netflicks et al.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Going Cable-less Rss Feed  

of 2