General Discussion Race Reports! » RAGE Triathlon Presented by Safelite AutoGlass - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

RAGE Triathlon Presented by Safelite AutoGlass - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Las Vegas, Nevada
United States
BBSC Endurance Sports
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 6s
Overall Rank = 74/447
Age Group = Clydesdale 40+
Age Group Rank = 2/19
Pre-race routine:

Left Friday morning and headed for Vegas. I was coming to Vegas for a Police Relay Race, Baker to Vegas. I found RAGE Triathlon and figured I would do this. My run (5.8 miles) was scheduled for around 9pm on Saturday night. Arrived to Vegas, went straight to registration and then for a customary sushi pre triathlon meal at I Love Sushi in Henderson. I went to Lake Mead to check out the course. All I had to say was, I was having some doubts because it was more hilly than I thought and I was actually in Vegas for my relay race.
Event warmup:

Arrived early, had my breakfast of a banana, gatorade and a pop tart. Just chilled and mentally prepared for the race. Did a dynamic warm up.
Swim
  • 18m 36s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

LOL I have to laugh....first off, Im putting on my wetsuit and rippppppppp, my right calf area rips. oh well, nothing to lose sleep over. After driving the course the day prior, i spoke with my tri coach and said, I was just going to cruise the swim. I wanted to save all my energy for the bike and run.
Even though, i was slow in the swim. I was REAL happy with my swim because i just swam and I was comfortable in a very good rythym. That was a milestone for me. I have had issues with hyperventilating and not being able to get in any rythym. I really swam well and was thrilled.
What would you do differently?:

Get more faster and efficient.
Transition 1
  • 03m 48s
Comments:

LONG TRANSITION and hilly. Was just a bit slow on wetsuit removal. I get scared about ripping it. but I got it off in a decent time. It was a very long run up hill to the bike out. Before the race, I decided to put my covers on my speedplay cleats and run up the hill. That worked out very well. I had the second fastest T1 time in my grouping.

get better at removing my wetsuit
Bike
  • 45m 31s
  • 13.5 miles
  • 17.80 mile/hr
Comments:

Hilly beginning to get onto Lakeshore Road. Started cruising and was changing into big chainring and boom, the chain came off. Had to get off bike and put chain back on. Then chain came off a second time. It took me a little over a 1-2 mins to get going again. I did hammer and tried to get back into the race. I did pass a bunch of people and did do well getting back in. This was not an easy bike course

Use my head and not change gears when its at its lowest or highest rear gear. Then my chain will never come off. I know that but didnt follow that and it cost me time.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

did ok...took a quick salt pill and sipped some water and quickly put on my shoes and left.

#1 in my age group

go even quicker!!
Run
  • 24m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I ran well. It was warm and the couse wasnt as flat as I thought it would be

Just be prepared to run harder and faster
Post race
Warm down:

Cooled down with a towel, water, chocolate milk

What limited your ability to perform faster:

What limited me was I was there for a relay race and not a triathlon and I was worried about twisting my ankle on the run with all the rocks and holes.

Event comments:

Good Race, glad I did it.

I came in 2nd in Clydes 40+....not bad....then about 10 hours later, I ran my 5.8 miles in Pahrump and ave 7:32 per mile for my leg of the relay. It was a good day and night.

I hope to be back next year. I am doing Kokopelli in St George in September. I will be doing the Olympic course...we'll see how well i do.

Last updated: 2012-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:36 | 820 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/19
Overall: 0/447
Performance: Average
Suit: Velocity V:1
Course: Rectangular course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:31 | 13.5 miles | 17.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/19
Performance: Average
13.5 miles/ 42:21 according to my Garmin Ave HR 162 Ave Cad 81
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly, rolling. not much flats at all.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 81
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:13 | 03.11 miles | 07m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/19
Performance: Good
Ave HR 166 Max HR 177
Course: Rocky trail along beach of Lake Mead. Hard to run fast because you dont want to twist your ankle. Portions were hilly.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-23 11:14 PM

User image

Los Angeles
Subject: RAGE Triathlon Presented by Safelite AutoGlass - Sprint Course

2012-04-24 12:11 PM
in reply to: #4168786

User image

Subject: RE: RAGE Triathlon Presented by Safelite AutoGlass - Sprint Course

Great job on both races.  I dream of that run pace.  Congrats on another podium

Not to be too presumptive, but there is a technique to get the chain back on the front chainring while riding...  ?  Hard to do depending on the terrain though, especially on that course.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » RAGE Triathlon Presented by Safelite AutoGlass - Sprint Course Rss Feed