TBF Racing
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 5s
Overall Rank = /20?
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Walked around the race area and watched the adventure race people get their gear prepared. Drank water.
Event warmup:

Nothing really, I just sort of stretched out.
Run
  • 1h 09m 5s
  • 5 miles
  • 13m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Had I followed my instincts and stuck to the trail, I would have found the first checkpoint sooner. This was the trail I regularly train on, so I am used to it. All in all, I am really happy, I ran the majority of this course--I might have walked for a total of two minutes...
What would you do differently?:

Follow my gut--not other racers.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, snacked a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing--I only lost time due to the less than stellar orienteering. I was ecstatic about my obstacle course performance.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race--there are so few people that it becomes a relaxed fun race rather than one you get all worked up and nervous about. People were having a great time--I even made some new friends! I would love to do the adventure race, but I don't have a kayak--they beach run, kayak, mountain bike, then do the run and obstacle course...
I still had a blast even with my trail loss--I can't wait to do it again next year!

Last updated: 2012-04-29 12:00 AM
Running
01:09:05 | 05 miles | 13m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 0/20?
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly dirt trails, varying elevation. This course involved a bit of orienteering--we were given a 'map' (I'm using the term loosely..)with two dots denoting checkpoints--we were to go to each one pick up a token, then run back to the last checkpoint, then run along the beach and do an obstacle course. I followed the wrong runners and ended up running along the beach RIGHT at the shore of the lake, it took us off course by maybe a 10th of a mile. We got back on the main trail, and quickly found the SECOND checkpoint! So then we turned around, followed the main trail to a secondary, all uphill trail that led right to the FIRST checkpoint. After that, it ran straight down a hill to that trail that we started on, this led to the last checkpoint and the beach. I got to it and apparently, the jets came on--Clint said I was running faster than anyone else had along the beach. The obstacle consisted of two inflatable courses then some ones on the beach. The first inflatable had cylinders and blocks you had to jump, climb over, or go around--I opted to bowl right through them (one advantage of being somewhat big boned...)there were also to narrow stepped 'ladders' over humps that ended in slides--those took a bit of time thanks to the narrow steps and steepness. After that inflatable, there was a 'spider web' inflatable, which consisted of 4 levels of 1 foot square flexible mesh that you have to push up through; I got my head, shoulders, and arms through each level, that would pull my lower body up and through--by the 3rd one, I was beginning to question my ability to make it. Once I reached the top, I had to push myself through a little cube into a BIG slide...I tucked and FLEW down the slide. After that it was all man constructed obstacles on the beach--a mud pit, slip n' slide thing, crawling under netting, then a run through the water, climbing over 3 stacked hay bales, more crawling under a net, crawling over sand 'berms', a slight run, then a balance beam, lastly a zig-zagged run with a zig into the water again, and the finish!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-04-29 4:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Subject: Weekend Warrior Games X-Treme Run

2012-04-29 6:25 PM
in reply to: #4179613

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Weekend Warrior Games X-Treme Run
Great job!  This sounds like it was an absolute blast.   I would like to try this one day.
2012-04-29 10:50 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Great job Kate!  Sounds like a fun race.
2012-04-30 6:28 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Awesome race, it sure sounds like you had a blast!

Great job.
2012-04-30 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4180387

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area
Nice job! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Weekend Warrior Games X-Treme Run Rss Feed