Calgary City Police
10C / 50F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 46m 44s
Overall Rank = 266/1508
Age Group = male 30 -35
Age Group Rank = 81/255
Pre-race routine:

Well, The week was a hard one. Managed 78k running and 8 hours biking and some yoga. Did some hard runs too. Managed to take it easy Friday and Sunday. Got some new shoes on Friday, wore them Saturday, raced in them. Um, not much sleep, still. Horrible dinner. Tasty prime rib, chicken, cabbage salad, veggies. Ugh. Didn't eat too too much but did eat too much and definitely too too much meat.

I spent some time in the week thinking about my strategy. McMillian said 4:48 pace based on my 10k on April 1 but life got in the way this month and running sorta suffered. I got okay mileage in but no real quality workouts, no tempo work at all. 1 interval workout. But at the same time I thought, well, I haven't ran hard for a while so maybe those muscles are just ready to go. So I decided to go for it.
Event warmup:

Got up, had a banana and a baked pretzel my daughter and I made on Saturday. drank some water. Tried to go potty, but not real success. Got to race site about 7:00 a.m. Didn't really jog much, maybe 5 minutes. Tried to go again, no real success. Felt backed up. Dam that tasty meat.

AGAIN I am in the can when it starts. So I start late
Run
  • 1h 46m 44s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 04s  min/km
Comments:

So I start at 4:48 per km. I started like last of 1500 people, stuck in the head. Took me 4 minutes to catch up to anyone. So started to pass people. Mobs and mobs of people. Bounced around the course. Got down into the park.....blah. At 7k I looked at my watch and it said 4:48, but the thing is I went down for so long. My legs felt okay but I was just not feeling it. I kept on having this negative talk, like I am not going to make it at this pace, there is a hill and I am not going to make it, you have been going downhill and you only made your goal pace, no way you make this.

Anyways, I decide to ease it back a bit. And we are on the flat, and I am going like 5:10 now. I am like wtf, right? I speed up a bit, I don't know what is going on. I had a dried out honey wafer at 10k. It was like crap. had to get some gatorade at the station.

Anyways, I feel okay but not great, and weirded out about my slow pace. So I am going, passing gobs of people, then this chick won't let me pass. So we go together for a bit, about 3-4 k she pulls me along, and I am having fun again.

So we are going about 5 min pace and that is good, and passing people,s o that is good. And up the hill, a little slower, but not much, and that is good. Then she trails off and I keep going, catch up with some other guys and they pick it up, and we are running and it is good, and passing people and it is good. They fall back too.

One shirtless guy passed me about 800 meters from the end, he was just bounding along.

I had a bunch left for the finish, tons.
What would you do differently?:

I gotta get in the mix to begin with, you know. Quit hiding in the washroom when the rain starts. I am scared to run with faster people because I am scared that I am going to fail and be embarrassed and be passed by people in the end. I got to stop feeling that way.

I spent so much time thinking about how I was going to go for it on this run only to chicken out at 7k.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged a bit. Waited for awards

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wasn't a great month. Sick and work prevented solid workouts. I got some volume in but nothing over 21k or so. No tempo work. Only one rather lame interval workout. I didn't taper. I am weak in the head. But I cant really taper, no time, so, I don't know.

I think next year I am going to kill it. Make it an A race. Try to go sub 100 minutes.

Event comments:

ran out of coffee....every year. Awards started super late. but otherwise, great race, great support, great tech shirt.

Last updated: 2012-01-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:46:44 | 21.1 kms | 05m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 81/255
Overall: 255/1508
Performance: Good
Course: Down then up. Nice run through the park on bike paths
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-02 12:12 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: Calgary Police Half Marathon

2012-05-03 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4186282

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Calgary Police Half Marathon

Sounds like you had a good race despite life getting in the way. 

Your training up to the week or so before the race was solid.

2012-05-03 7:28 PM
in reply to: #4186282

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Calgary Police Half Marathon

Well at least you didn't  get chicked again. Smile

Good job to keep on plugging along despite the mental block!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Calgary Police Half Marathon Rss Feed