General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Puerto Penasco,
Mexico
Red Rock Company, Inc.
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 17m 59s
Overall Rank = 2/98
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/21
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special here... Woke up, had some coffee and then went and racked my bike since I was staying at the resort where the race was being held. After that, I came back to the room and ate a bagel and a banana (washed both down with some more coffee). Also, went to the bathroom as many times as possible. ;-)
Event warmup:

A sort out and back swim just before the start.
Swim
  • 18m 15s
  • 1094 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I lined up at the front and left side of the group and started running for the water when the gun went off. I saw a lot of people in the wave before me "wading" pretty far out. So, I decided to wade until it seemed difficult and then swim (this was about when the water was thigh level). It was weird to see people next to me still wading for so long after I decided to swim. They weren't passing me and my overall effort level seemed to decrease when I switched. So, I think I made the right decision. Sighting was good - no missed buoys or straying from the course. At the end I swam until my hands touched the ground and then started running. Swim time included a run up the beach to transition.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I was generally pleased with the effort. Dolphin diving may have helped overall - but, I have never practiced it, so I didn't try it.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

No issues.

Washed my feet off with a water bottle, put on my socks, put on my helmet, put on my glasses, and then grabbed the bike and headed for the mount line.

My shoes were attached to my pedals. My mount, getting up to speed, and getting in my shoes all went well.

Someday I will race without socks...
Bike
  • 1h 10m 58s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 20.71 mile/hr
Comments:

This was my first race with my Cervelo P3 and absolutely loved racing it. The wind was definitely a factor on this course. Generally it was either a tailwind (on the out) or a headwind (on the return). I decided that "watts-wise" I would work a little harder in the headwind and then recover a little in the tailwind. This equated to 30+ mph recovering and 18ish mph working (ironic huh?) I drank from my water bottle at each turn-around and tried to stay aero the rest of the time.

Not much. Maybe pushed just a little harder when I had a tailwind.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

No issues. I dismounted with my bike (leaving my shoes on the pedals), ran to my spot, racked my bike, removed my helmet, slipped (Yankz laces) on my running shoes, grabbed my race belt and visor - then headed out for the run. I put on my visor and race belt while running.

Nothing - great transition for me!
Run
  • 46m 30s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to hold 7:15 for 5 miles and then put everything I had left into the last mile (with hopes to make it my fastest mile of the run portion). Everything was fine up until mile 5. The short steep hills had taken their toll on me and I just wasn't able to keep the plan in check. Mile 5 and 6 were mentally challenging for me. I hung on as best as I could.

Run more in training.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank (alternated beer with sports drink), ate tacos, and generally had a good time at the post race party!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run endurance... I need to run more.

Event comments:

Another great event by Red Rock!

Last updated: 2012-04-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:15 | 1094 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/21
Overall: 10/98
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri shorts and tri top - no wetsuit
Course: Three sides of a mis-shaped rectangle. The corners were marked with large yellow buoys. The sides were marked with smaller yellow buoys.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:58 | 24.5 miles | 20.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 4/98
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 142 bpm, Max HR: 149 bpm, Avg Power: 237 W
Wind: Strong
Course: 3 out and back loops: Half rough road, half smooth (new pavement!)
Road:  Dry Cadence: 101
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:30 | 06.2 miles | 07m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/21
Overall: 9/98
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 156 bpm, Max HR: 166 bpm, Mile 1: 7:17, Mile 2: 7:00, Mile 3: 7:17, Mile 4: 7:13, Mile 5: 7:30, Mile 6: 7:45
Course: Nice scenic run through the golf course with lots of winding pathways and rolling hills - some hills seemed steep (but short).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-03 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Las Palomas Rocky Point Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed