General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin "thinks" they've figured out the 910xt pace problem and they have a suggestion... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-05-04 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Garmin "thinks" they've figured out the 910xt pace problem and they have a suggestion...

I haven't tested this, but I'm skeptical.  In any case, here is the quote from Garmin (posted on the official Garmin forums)...

"Eureka! It looks like we are making some headway into the pace issue. Until we can implement into a software update, the workaround for this issue is pretty simple. If you power your device on in the sport mode that you will be using, simply change the sport mode to something else and then back to your sport of choice for that day.

An example would be, if you plan to run and the device is in running mode when you power it on, switch the device to cycling mode and then back to running mode. The device will process the necessary initialization and thus improve your pace value when running.

We thank everyone for their patience,

pedalingsquares"

2012-05-04 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4190255

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Garmin "thinks" they've figured out the 910xt pace problem and they have a suggestion...
WOW....that makes no sense whatsoever!  lolSealed
2012-05-04 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Garmin "thinks" they've figured out the 910xt pace problem and they have a suggestion...
Mine is rarely already in the sport I plan to be doing so I almost always change the sport mode first.  Maybe I need to switch to run mode, then switch out of run mode, then switch back to run mode.  Doesn't sound right.
2012-05-04 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4190315

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

michael_runs - 2012-05-04 10:04 AM Mine is rarely already in the sport I plan to be doing so I almost always change the sport mode first.  Maybe I need to switch to run mode, then switch out of run mode, then switch back to run mode.  Doesn't sound right.

I'm positive I've been on the bike the night before a long run and turned it on in bike mode and switched to run.  Still I experience the pace problems.  I need to get to a track to calibrate the foot pod.  I used the algo suggested on DCRainmakers site but it still seems a little off.  I'm thinking if I calibrate it at my race pace before a race, that should smooth out my real time pacing and be pretty accurate at that pace if I switch the watch to read the foot pod rather than gps.

2012-05-04 10:13 AM

User image

NC

You put your right foot in, you take your right foot out . . . .

2012-05-04 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4190339

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-05-04 3:29 PM

Veteran
St Louis, Missouri

That makes about as much sense as re-booting your computer or un-installing and then re-installing software that worked just fine yesterday. 

So...this will probably fix the issue then. 

2012-05-04 5:28 PM

That makes no sense. I've been emailing tech support's tech support back and forth for seval days on another issue. That deserves it's own thread, though.
2012-05-04 5:36 PM

Master
Cumming, Georgia
I don't have a 91Oxt but the way I read it is if it is on the sport you are wanting to do when you turn the watch on then change it to another sport then back to the sport you want to do. If it is not on the sport you want to do when you turn on the watch then set it to the sport you want to do, turn the watch off, turn the watch on, change the sport to something else then change it back to the sport you wanted to do. I agree it doesn't make sense and the watch should have never been released with these kind of bugs. Seems like testing should have caught this.
2012-05-04 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4191583

Pro
Baton Rouge area

csharp1171 - 2012-05-04 5:36 PM  I agree it doesn't make sense and the watch should have never been released with these kind of bugs. 

Sorry, I disagree with that statement.  If I had the option to wait another couple of months for the bugs to be worked out or got it when I did I would still want it early.  I like the watch and the minor bugs I have encountered haven't been that major to me compared to what it has given me.  Just my opinion, YMMV

Edited by GaryRM 2012-05-04 5:54 PM
2012-05-04 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4191607

Veteran
Irvine, California
GaryRM - 2012-05-04 3:54 PM

csharp1171 - 2012-05-04 5:36 PM  I agree it doesn't make sense and the watch should have never been released with these kind of bugs. 

Sorry, I disagree with that statement.  If I had the option to wait another couple of months for the bugs to be worked out or got it when I did I would still want it early.  I like the watch and the minor bugs I have encountered haven't been that major to me compared to what it has given me.  Just my opinion, YMMV

I 100% agree. I get so much out of it on everything else but the instant pace that if I had to do it over, I still would have gotten it.  On second thought, I would have gotten it EARLIER than I did.  But yeah, I wish they'd fix it haha

2012-05-04 7:20 PM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

I don't understand why anyone expects instantaneous pace to be accurate.  You're talking about a tiny tiny unit on your wrist.  We're not talking about a bajillion dollar super accurate piece of equipment.  By the inherent nature of GPS it's going to be off by a tiny bit quite often.  That's one reason most people's GPS read 26.2 +/- 1 mile after a marathon.

I don't see why anyone would run around in ANY mode other than average lap pace...if I'm doing intervals on the track I even use that mode.  It will bounce around for a bit at the beginning of each lap but fairly quickly will settle to the closest approximation of your "instant" pace you can expect.  As long as you keep the laps short enough (under a mile) then you generally speaking will have a really really good idea of what pace you're holding.

It's like watching your power every second...or every 5-30 seconds.  If I'm watching my power every second I expect it to jump around.  If I want to really know my "instant" power I make the sure the watch is only showing me a number every 5-30 seconds.  There are some things that just aren't meant to be looked at instantaneously.....

But apparently I'm in the minority.

2012-05-04 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4191678

Master
Sedona, AZ

I always use instant pace on my 310XT. I want to know my pace at the time I look at my watch, not the average for the current lap I'm in. That doesn't tell me if I'm going too fast or too slow (or just if how I feel matches the pace I'm going) at that instant. If it's near the end of the lap, it's too late to adjust pace too.

Personally, I think they should use a 3- or 5-second weighted average for pace and be done with it. This will smooth out the small errors but be accurate enough for everyone (and more accurate than what they currently have). Maybe even give the option of 3 or 5 second weighted smoothing in the set-up.

It's all so simple when I type if from my living room...

2012-05-04 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4191678

Veteran
Austin

my complaint about the instantaneous pace problems in the 910 lies in the fact that the feature works in other garmin watches (i also have the 410) . while i don't expect the instantaneous pace to be precisely accurate 100% of the time, i do expect the watch to give me a ball park figure when i choose to look at it. if i am running at a 8min/mi pace and i look down and the watch is showing me a 10:30 pace, its pretty annoying. 

my gripe against always using average lap pace is that there are times in training where i walk. the average lap pace takes my walk time into the average and doesn't display how fast i am running. i guess i could create a new lap for my run/walk intervals, but it just comes back to the fact that instantaneous pace works in their other devices. 

2012-05-04 9:14 PM
in reply to: #4191691

Extreme Veteran
mindy00 - 2012-05-04 7:42 PM

my complaint about the instantaneous pace problems in the 910 lies in the fact that the feature works in other garmin watches (i also have the 410) .

This guy is right on We don't expect perfection. We simply expect the same performance with this feature as lesser Garmin devices. I.e the Garmin 305. If instant pace was the same as the 305 we would all shut up.
2012-05-04 9:15 PM
in reply to: #4190305

Elite
Cleveland
Meulen - 2012-05-04 11:01 AM

WOW....that makes no sense whatsoever!  lolSealed

Actually, depending on what the issue is, it makes total and perfect sense.

Basically, it means that at power on, the device isn't properly initializing the device for the selected mode, but it does initialize it fine when the mode changes.... this sort of thing happens all the time with software (ummmm, not in any of the code *I* write, though ::whistles:: ).
Most likely, it means that the initialization routine just isn't properly detecting (or isn't doing it consistently) the selected mode. The good news is that if this is indeed the root of the issue, they should be able to code a fix and get it tested fairly quickly.

Edited by cgregg 2012-05-04 9:16 PM

2012-05-04 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4191777

Extreme Veteran
Issaquah

cgregg - 2012-05-04 7:15 PM
Meulen - 2012-05-04 11:01 AM WOW....that makes no sense whatsoever!  lolSealed
Actually, depending on what the issue is, it makes total and perfect sense. Basically, it means that at power on, the device isn't properly initializing the device for the selected mode, but it does initialize it fine when the mode changes.... this sort of thing happens all the time with software (ummmm, not in any of the code *I* write, though ::whistles:: ). Most likely, it means that the initialization routine just isn't properly detecting (or isn't doing it consistently) the selected mode. The good news is that if this is indeed the root of the issue, they should be able to code a fix and get it tested fairly quickly.

It does make some sense as you describe above, except that I often power the device up in other sports (bike or swim morning, run at lunch) and I've never seen it fix the pace issue when I change to a different sport mode.

However, I think the instructions are to power up in the mode you need to use (i.e., run) change sports, then go back. There is some chance that this sequence is different (and fixes the problem as Garmin says) than just power up in bike and change to run, so I'm going to give it a try on Sunday to see if it works.

Xwhatever to the "It should work as well as the other Garmin devices"...

2012-05-04 10:13 PM
in reply to: #4191688

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
MonkeyClaw - 2012-05-04 7:40 PM

I always use instant pace on my 310XT. I want to know my pace at the time I look at my watch, not the average for the current lap I'm in. That doesn't tell me if I'm going too fast or too slow (or just if how I feel matches the pace I'm going) at that instant. If it's near the end of the lap, it's too late to adjust pace too.

Personally, I think they should use a 3- or 5-second weighted average for pace and be done with it. This will smooth out the small errors but be accurate enough for everyone (and more accurate than what they currently have). Maybe even give the option of 3 or 5 second weighted smoothing in the set-up.

Meh, I guess I've never seen it be accurate enough on my 301 or my 310XT to be worth using.  I don't think it's a Garmin problem.  I chalk it up to a limitation of wrist-bound GPS.  IMHO if you are using the "instantaneous pace" rather than an average over ANY lap (even a quarter mile) then you are chasing an impossible dream and "reacting" instead of holding a constant effort and adjusting as necessary.

2012-05-04 10:40 PM
in reply to: #4191838

Master
Houston
jldicarlo - 2012-05-04 10:13 PM

Meh, I guess I've never seen it be accurate enough on my 301 or my 310XT to be worth using.  I don't think it's a Garmin problem.  I chalk it up to a limitation of wrist-bound GPS.  IMHO if you are using the "instantaneous pace" rather than an average over ANY lap (even a quarter mile) then you are chasing an impossible dream and "reacting" instead of holding a constant effort and adjusting as necessary.

This maybe a issue of where you are in your training.

I can't pace my self well at all yet.  I need some feedback to realize I'm going too fast or too slow.  Then, often when i see it I'll realize oh yea, I am going too hard and back off.  This is especially true when there has been a weather change.

Instant isn't neeed but a current pace is helpful. 

Same with Power, if you are doing something like TrainerRoad relatively instant power is important for doing those intervals and knowing you are doing them at the intensity indicated.

I am not responding to the OP, just this post.  I don't have a 910, but my wife does....

2012-05-04 11:43 PM
in reply to: #4191838

jldicarlo - 2012-05-04 10:13 PM

IMHO current pace is a good training tool. Perceived exertion is great and may work for others, but between work, kids and training, my perception may be completely different from day to day, leading to highly variable lap times. When current pace works correctly, it's a really great tool for managing this, and learning to see beyond what you think you can do, to do what you know you can do. As another posted, by the time you have a lap average, it's too late to change anything. I fail to see how it's chasing an impossible dream, as I'm getting much better at pacing the entire run simply by holding back when I need to, and pushing harder when I need to. But mostly - knowing that I can go harder - I don't need to slow down, I only want to. Having said that, I do use lap time in combination with current pace. I'm curious.... Current pace in running would be the same as 'speed' while you're on the bike. Do you guys feel the same way about speed? And the current pace swinging wildly is definitely a Garmin problem - something in the way they coded the 910. The other versions have been much more accurate than this watch (I had a 405 and a 310 before this).
2012-05-05 12:00 AM

Master
University Park, MD
Nice discussion of whether it makes sense ... but has anybody yet gone out and tested whether it actually works?

2012-05-05 3:29 PM

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Well I'll be gawtdarned! It works! Nice!
2012-05-05 3:57 PM

NH

As a software engineer, this actually makes a lot of sense to me.  Initialization problems are notorious.  As developers and testers we are almost always starting our stuff from a zero point, which is rare in the real world.  Many, many issues arise from equipment running a long time and not re-initializing properly.

I do believe they have some sort of smoothing algorithm, but I generally agree that the instant pace is not very usable, though I also am one of those who doesn't really watch instant pace.

2012-05-05 4:49 PM
in reply to: #4192467

wbayek - 2012-05-05 3:57 PM

As a software engineer, this actually makes a lot of sense to me.  Initialization problems are notorious.  As developers and testers we are almost always starting our stuff from a zero point, which is rare in the real world.  Many, many issues arise from equipment running a long time and not re-initializing properly.

Thanks for explaining this!
2013-10-15 5:59 PM
in reply to: michael_runs

Does this really work? If it does I will be delighted (but sceptical)

Anyone tried in v3 firmware

ref the comments on suitability of using instant pace. If you don't use it then you probably are qualified to comment on those that do use it (unless you stopped using it)

Q: 3/4 of the way through a mile rep targeting 5min/mile you are averaging 5:05min/mile...do you need to speed up or slow down from the speed you are currently running at in order to hit the goal??
A: you don't know without instant pace. think about it

http://the5krunner.com
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Garmin "thinks" they've figured out the 910xt pace problem and they have a suggestion... Rss Feed  

of 2