Redemption Race Productions
78F / 26C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 28m 47s
Overall Rank = 102/227
Age Group = F 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Drove down the day before with Kati to check into the hotel, drive to the race site and pick up packet and drive the bike route. Met Tammy and Tuck, and Connie and Cortez later on that evening and went out to Outback for dinner. Didn't get back to the hotel till almost 10:30, WAY past my bedtime.

Got up at 5 a.m., had my coffee and oatmeal, got everything packed up and out to the car for a 5:30 departure. Connie's alarm never went off!! But Tammy and Tuck stayed to wait for them, and Kati and I took off for the race site. Drank a Gatorade on the way. Got a great bike rack, very near the bike in/bike out, and set everything up and then killed time till the pre-race meeting.
Event warmup:

None, they wouldn't let us in the water.
Swim
  • 07m 30s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Last year I went off with the speedy people and this year I decided to wait for my AG wave. They lined up 2 swimmers at a time and sent them off, then 2 more every 10 seconds or so. I was one of the last ones in the water and had to pass tons of people. I felt like my swim time was slowed because I had to keep raising my head to see how to swim around them all. Water felt great, perfect temps. and loved my new tri suit. Hard to get out of the water, there were some good sized rocks you couldn't see underwater, but thankfully there were volunteers to help get us out. Long run up to transition on pavement with some carpets thrown down.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go off with the faster wave first? Not much, overall not a bad swim.

11th Female overall.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Being almost last in the swim, I had NO trouble finding my bike since most people were out on the bike course. Went to put on my socks and the bottoms of my feet had dirt and grass, just rolled the socks on anyway. One bike shoe had the heel roll down inside and I couldn't get it out, even though it hurt, so I left it and later on was able to grab the loop and yank it out. Lost a little time there.

Get shoes on right the first time!
Bike
  • 43m 42s
  • 13.35 miles
  • 18.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Nicest bike course I've ridden. Some challenging rollers, great pavement, and about half is along the Guadalupe River, under tree cover, seeing campgrounds along the way. Last year the route was wet and I rode pretty conservatively, this time I pushed it! I started passing people right away and continued until I was back at T2... I actually was getting annoyed at having to say, "On your left", over and over and over! Had a few guys pass me and I passed a few back, but I loved this leg, it was AWESOME!

Nothing!

6th female overall!
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Good transition. Got my stuff and got out of there.

Nothing.
Run
  • 35m 28s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 10m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Um, yeah, this is where it sucks. Legs felt pretty good off the bike, but amost immediately there is a short, STEEP hill. Ran about 1/3 of the way up it, my HR was sky rocketing, and I decided there was no sense in bonking this early in the run, so walked to the top and then started running again. I had no idea what my pace was, but I felt pretty good. It was still overcast, but at about 1 mile, the sun came out and it started to get hot. At the midway water point, I grabbed a cup of water, drank a few sips and poured the rest over my head. Not long after I started getting some abdominal stitches and huge knots in my shoulders. I actually stopped and walked several times to try and massage them out, but it wasn't happening. Finally close to mile 2 I just sucked it up and ran the rest, but I was having some pain. Finally got to go DOWN the awful hill, and people were flying by me, but I was afraid of losing my balance or having too much momentum send me face down into the road, so I ran down it pretty conservatively, but had enough oomph left to run it in pretty hard, although it must not have looked that way since my cheering squad kept yelling for me to, "Sprint!", I had to yell back, "This IS my sprint!"

Keep working on bricks and bike fitness, I know I have some good running in me, I just gotta tap into it during a race!
Post race
Warm down:

None, drank the bottle of water they handed me and waited for Tammy to come in. She wasn't far behind me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The damn run... swim and bike are doing well, and the run wasn't as horrible as some I've done, but man, I KNOW I can do better!

Event comments:

I really love this race! The bike course is just gorgeous and I love that they feed the athletes AND the spectators.... polish kielbassa wraps, mmm! I wish there had been some other ladies in my AG, hard to swallow getting first place when you are the only one. They did not post any results at the race site, and they didn't announce my time, so I had no idea how I had done until official results were posted online... I felt much better when I discovered that not only did I win MY AG, I also could have won the 50-54, 45-49, 40-44, and the 20-24 age groups!! I took about 3.5 minutes off my time from last year too! The medal is awesome see pics below! Always fun to have some friendly competition... so proud of my friend Tammy Tucker for attacking her swim demons!! Baby steps, but there is improvement... if she ever masters that, she will beat me! And how fun to see Connie experience her first one, so proud to have been a part of her journey. And as always, so happy to have some Mommy/Daughter time with Kati!

Last updated: 2012-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:30 | 437 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 45/227
Performance: Good
Suit: One piece KiWAMi
Course: River swim, down the river keeping the buoys to your right, come back the other side.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:43:42 | 13.35 miles | 18.33 mile/hr
Overall: 71/227
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. Some good rollers and a nice stretch along the river.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:35:28 | 03.3 miles | 10m 45s  min/mile
Overall: 181/227
Performance: Average
Course: Long loop through downtown Gruene, through a residential area, along a main thoroughfare and back into town and into the race site. AWFUL hill on the way out!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-05 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Subject: Rockin' R Toobin Triathlon

dasdf

sdf

Arrival at race site, 5:45 a.m.

sdf 

The 3 Mouseketeers!  Me, Tammy, Connie.

sdf

Almost time to swim!

dsf

Coming into the swim finish, passing up 2 more!  I'm in the middle.

asdf

Running to bike mount line.

asdf

Off for the run.... it wasn't sucking here (YET!)

sd

Almost done!!

sdf

The 3 Mouseketeers, done, hot, tired, hungry, still smiling!

sdf

Receiving my 1st AG medal... out of a total of ONE!

Edited by hildekq 2012-05-05 3:43 PM

2012-05-05 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4192417

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: RE: Rockin' R Toobin Triathlon
Where to start!  First, reading this race report really makes me want to do this race next year.  The pictures look beautiful and I love a nice bike course.  Looks like a great size race too.  But, more importantly - look at you!!!  All trim and kicking some serious butt.  Too bad there weren't others in your AG, because you know you would have smoked them!  What an awesome job on the bike, but I knew you were going to have an impressive time with all the bike work you have been doing.  So proud of you!!
2012-05-06 5:29 AM

User image

Regular
Way to go Hilde you were terrific-You had a good game plan and executed. Congrats!!
2012-05-07 8:03 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Congrats!!!!!  Winning several AG's.  That is so cool.  Way to go.  Love the medal.  Love the trisuit.  Matches the bike very nicely.  
2012-05-07 1:33 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri
Congrats on the race and the AG win! 
2012-05-07 5:46 PM

User image

New user
KY
Oh, man!  What an awesome race report!  You kicked !  I cannot even believe how many age groups you would have won.  That is unbelievable- yay!!!  And I'm loving the green tri suit.  Such a breath of fresh air after all the black, black and more black that one always seems to see at these things!  I drooled with envy reading your swim- what a STRONG swimmer you are.  And your bike?!  You rocked it!  This was so exciting reading this race report.  And nice ARMS- look at those muscles, lady!  Congratulations on just a standout performance.  I'm so happy for you!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rockin' R Toobin Triathlon Rss Feed