Firm Racing
54F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 51m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am, had coffee and oatmeal, pumped up my tires and biked over (2mi) to the start. I had picked up my packet the morning before and :they said: transition would open at 6am. Nope. The trucks were there and the racks were up but things didn't start setting up til closer to 6:10 and it wasn't until closer to 6:30am when they had finally added the numbers to the racks so I knew where to set up. Had a banana, coffee, and water while I waited. Once set up, I got marked and spent lots of time in Atkinson to try stay warm. Had a Gu Roctane 45 min before I thought I'd be racing.
Event warmup:

Outside of biking over and nervous fidgeting? Nada.

Swim
  • 07m 50s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I've heard some people are bad at estimating their times but wow, when they did, they did so spectacularly causing major pile ups. My plan was to not worry about speed but focus on being smooth which I did not succeed at. Too much to chaos distracting me. I caught the woman in front of me and passed her at the wall. One guy passed me decidedly and then proceeded to collide into me head on, twice despite me hugging the ropes. Ouch.

This race does not time transitions. You did not hit the timing mat until you got out the pool, ran outside and about 1/2 way bw the pool and your bike.
What would you do differently?:

swim more and get better at flip turns.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This time includes time spent in T1. I think Fatty would be mostly proud. I dropped my cap and goggles, sunglasses on, helemt on, and was off. I did struggle with getting some arm warmers on but I think I'm going to pass on these in the future. Even though it was chilly (my toes and fingers were cold the entire race), I don't think these helped at all.
Bike
  • 23m 28s
  • 7 miles
  • 17.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Got up to speed ok but took my time getting my feet in my shoes. I think I did a good job of pushing it (for my fitness) while still leaving something for the run.

Did get hung up in one section bc of traffic bottleneck. A large Budget moving truck was not passing cyclists bc of turns in the road. Bc of this the cyclists got bunched up behind the slow front rider. One woman, with a front basket and streamers on her bike handles, was out a bit in the road. I called out to her but her reply was, "where you gonna go?". Um, if you push over to where you should be I can get by. :sigh:

Forgot to take my feet out of my shoes until too close to the dismount. I had my left foot out but not my right. Clumsily cost me a few seconds.

Bike more. Not forget to get my feet out of my shoes.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

You cross the timing mat right after dismounting the bike so T2 time is incorporated into the Run time. I racked well, helmet off. I did sit to put on my shoes but decided to try to run without socks. As I grabbed my hat I knocked my goggles across the aisle so I had to go turn around and put them back in my spot. grr.

Not throw my goggles into my hat.
Run
  • 20m 38s
  • 2.3 miles
  • 08m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

As I turned the first corner onto Butler Pl. I remembered I forgot to hit my gps watch. When I looked down I noticed I was no longer timing anything. I must have accidentally hit a wrong button. I was bummed bc I really wanted to know what my overall time was. I had a goal to come in under 50 minutes and I wonder if I had this information if I could have pushed myself even harder.

My legs felt very heavy right from the start. I was breathing hard but felt capable aerobically, but my legs just didn't want to move. I felt like I was going at a snails pace. I am pretty happy with how I pushed myself. I kept trying to go faster and faster and never let myself slow down. I finished strong with a smile on my face.

I keep looking at my run pace. Is that really under 9 min/mi? INCLUDING time spent in T2? For me, I'm pretty darn happy with that.

There were two water stations on the run course. I grabbed a quick drink at the first (at start on Butler Pl) and didn't bother with the second.

More bricks.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down included playing with the kids and being social. Got to meet Senator Brown and fellow BTer gcoller. I think 70% of everyone I know in town ran this race as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fitness. Need to lose more weight.

Event comments:

I thought this event was ok. I don't think they do a good job of disseminating information (ie. when does transition open?, would there be water stations on course?) but they got it done smoothly.

Last updated: 2011-12-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:50 | 400 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: zoot top/desoto shorts
Course: One lap per lane then under the rope to the next lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:23:28 | 07 miles | 17.90 mile/hr
Performance: Average
I glaced at my watch at some point on the bike and noticed a heart rate of 156.
Wind: None
Course: Two times around a short loop with gentle rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:20:38 | 02.3 miles | 08m 58s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Flat loop course through residential area.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-05-06 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
metro west, MA
Subject: Sudbury Spring Sprint Triathlon

2012-05-06 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4193378

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
Subject: RE: Sudbury Spring Sprint Triathlon
Nice!!!  I think you did great.....and I didn't see a need for weight loss!!!  Looks like a fun day, albeit chilly.  I get your frustration with the timing.  Auburn tri did that, no T1/T2 times - it stinks.
2012-05-06 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Super speedy in all three disciplines!  Nice work, Christina!!
2012-05-06 2:17 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job from start to finish!!! 
2012-05-06 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
Noosa
Sounds like you did well! I can't imagine doing a tri in a pool, I hate sharing lanes at the best of times!
2012-05-06 5:52 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
Great racing, Christina! I am hearing a NE accent, "where ya gonna go?". Too funny! Sounds like a fun, fast race!

2012-05-06 6:03 PM

User image

Expert
Prattville Insane Asylum San Antonio
Great job!!!! Congrats, you were super speedy!!! 
2012-05-06 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
You had a great race with very good times Christina! You should be proud for rocking the course!!
2012-05-07 7:39 AM

User image

Veteran
SO awesome to meet you in person, Christina - great race report (and no need to lose weight - you look fit and fab to me as well!) I will write mine by the end of the day. Your times are very, very fast...and those include the T times! WOW!
2012-05-07 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Awesome job, Christina! Speedy times in all three disciplines! Congrats!!!
2012-05-07 11:26 AM

User image

Regular
Chicago
I love when the race isn't too far away and you can bike over. It's a great warmup! Congrats!

2012-05-08 10:10 AM

New user

Newton
I must have been right by you on the bike--I saw the budget truck and the lady with the basket! It was my first tri and a very fun race. I wish they had mile markers on the run (if they did, I missed them). Also, I got there way too early--I didn't realize how long it would take to get 200 swimmers in the pool!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sudbury Spring Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed