General Discussion Race Reports! » New Moon Khcycle MetaSprint Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Moon Khcycle MetaSprint Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Changi Beach,
Singapore
MetaSport
32C / 90F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 46s
Overall Rank = 4/151
Age Group = women 40-49
Age Group Rank = 2/43
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:30, had a Mojo bar and two Nature Valley bars, coffee. Got dressed, picked up bike downstairs, rode to event start (about 15 minutes).
Event warmup:

Rode to event start (15 minutes) with a few pick-ups, jogged about five minutes with some strides, handled logistics, swim warmup--maybe 5 or 6 minutes with a few pickups. Short (in first wave and had to pick up packet first) but not too rushed.
Swim
  • 14m 36s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 57s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt I had a strong swim although time was slow. Got out without too much getting stuck or being whacked; may have done some extra distance as I started on the outside. Still a bit banged up from bike crash and I didn't want to start the race sore or bleeding due to contact. Felt I swam a strong pace but was fighting current, particularly on the long side of the triangle and a little coming into shore. Just kept catching and passing people so not in a good position to draft. Never caught up to people who seemed fast enough--either started too slow or did extra distance at the start.
What would you do differently?:

Start faster, in better position. Maybe more aggressive pacing.
Transition 1
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Can't figure this one out. Almost same time as last year, when I had serious problems with vertigo, finding my bike, and getting stuck behind the preceding wave in the chute. This year I was in elite wave, I ran well out of the water, found the bike without difficulty, and jogged it out of the chute. I was stuck behind a woman who was running more slowly with the bike than I would have done, but had to walk last year. Can only guess that somehow the route thru transition was longer. I was "good"--didn't even stop to rinse my mouth or drink from my parked bottle. No idea why it wasn't faster. It was in the top 20%, though, which it wasn't last year, so guessing Transition was just bigger or something.

???????????? Awful, but maybe push by the woman leaving slowly just ahead of me? She turned out to be my AG rival. It just seemed like poor sportsmanship. Not wearing socks would speed things up, but I got blisters in the aquathlon, it was very hot, and not used to biking without socks.
Bike
  • 37m 57s
  • 20 kms
  • 31.62 km/hr
Comments:

Yuck. Felt awful from the get-go. It just seemed like everybody passed me. I was also afraid to ride in the drops after crashing last week so I didn't do it as often as I should. There was a headwind so aerobars would have helped, and I didn't have them. I just couldn't hold 33-34 kph. My legs were screaming at 31-32.

Post-script: The bike felt a bit odd riding back but I thought it was just fatigue or rough pavement. After reassembling the bike back in Saigon, noticed that the right brake was very tight (I'd noticed before the race, actually, but didn' think it was a big deal) and the brake was rubbing on the back wheel. Took it to LBS and they said there was wear on the tire from it. So it's possible it was rubbing during some/all of the race. No way to know. I do know the brake was tight at the beginning, so the wheel probably got jolted out of alignment on one of the speed bumps and the rubbing started. Might explain why I was working so hard! Guessing my HR was through the roof when I started the run--thus the persistent nausea during and after.

Just put my head down and ride my own race, stop noticing how many people pass me, I guess. Get better bike/aerobars. Rob a bank to pay for same. In retrospect, don't start with brake that tight; check that wheels spin correctly when setting up transition.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Again, can't figure out what took so long. I cramped really badly when getting off the bike (left adductor?) but it went away quite quickly. I did have to start running a bit slower than normal to work the cramp out.

Not sure. Better bike fitness soI don't cramp.
Run
  • 20m 59s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 12s  min/km
Comments:

Run time was okay but, in contrast to last year, felt horrible the whole way. Legs felt rubbery, afraid I was going to trip and fall or cramp up again. Real "running through quicksand" feeling. Pretty intense nausea much of way. I didn't notice beginning time and thought I was running about 24 minute pace. Nobody passed me, though, and I passed several women. Toward the end and after the race, really yuck pounding headache in back of head--just felt massively overheated, although it was still early.

Pour water over my head to cool off. Bike fitness more appropriate to race distance/pace.
Post race
Warm down:

Ummm.....none, basically. I really felt awful at the end, dizzy, nauseous, and overheated. Drank some sports drink but still felt dehydrated, drank a nunch of water and ate a Mojo bar but still felt hot and nauseous plus headache. Took a cold shower and felt a bit better but completely exhausted. Normally I really enjoy an easy jog, bike ride, and/or swim in Singapore's glorious parks, even after a hard race, but there just wasn't antyhing left--did some stretching and lay in the shade. Rode back to hotel after awards--about 15 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure. I felt I had a strong swim although times were not fast; finished better relative to the field and individual competitors than aquathlon swim and last year's tri despite slow time.

On the bike, clearly limited fitness for fast paces. I haven't done much structured work at paces under HIM goal pace, like I did last year. My legs couldn't cope with the higher workload, even for a short time. In retrospect, maybe brake rubbing on tire increased the workload beyond my tolerance level. I think this negatively affected my run although time was very similar--cramping at start and feeling horrible--my run fitness is clearly better than last year but it didn't show as was too tired from bike.

Something wrong with training. I was EXHAUSTED at the end of the race but not sore. Not sore today. I just didn't have the strength to push the big gears to get myself sore (sure hurt during the race, though). I think this HIM business is developing my endurance but not speed and power. Endurance comes pretty naturally and I'm pretty sure that unless I go for a full IM someday I will see pretty limited gains from continuing to focus on it.

Also (hate to say it but somehow my cycle is perfectly timed with these Metasport races), probably PMS contriubuting to bad attitude on the bike, nausea, and headache. It normally doesn't affect my performace, though, just feelings of effort/well-being. Together with the heat (unusually muggy even for tropics owing to an approaching storm that hit that PM) probably contributed to the nausea issue.

Event comments:

Very well-organized, well-marked course for swim (big plus after last race's fiasco). Excellent volunteer support. No complaints, really, except that I biked like a slug and felt like s..... But it's not their fault!

Last updated: 2012-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:36 | 750 meters | 01m 57s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/43
Overall: 4/151
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU one piece Comp suit
Course: One triangular loop. For some reason the direction was opposite last year. Course well-marked and easy to follow. Markers always on my right, ideal since that's how I usually breathe. There seemed to be somewhat of an offshore current. Time very slow but so were others.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:57 | 20 kms | 31.62 km/hr
Age Group: 12/43
Overall: 30/151
Performance: Bad
Wind: Little
Course: Two 10 km loops, several speed bumps and 180 degree turn at 5, 10, and 15 km so had to slow down a lot for those. Flat and fast, supposedly..
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: ?
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:59 | 05 kms | 04m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 1/43
Overall: 1/151
Performance: Average
Didn't notice splits. Felt too horrid to check.
Course: Flat, a little bit on grass at start and then bike path for remainder; first and last 1500m in shade, remainder in bright sun, along beach.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-05-07 9:01 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: New Moon Khcycle MetaSprint Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-05-18 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4194560

User image

Payson, AZ
Subject: RE: New Moon Khcycle MetaSprint Triathlon - Sprint Course
Nice job on the race.  Clearly you had to fight through some things and still posted really good results
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Moon Khcycle MetaSprint Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed