General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
RunTex
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 47m 31s
Overall Rank = 568/1266
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 17/62
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before alarm at 4:05am and decided to get up and eat.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 25m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt good on the swim for once on this course. Someone was riding my wake for 90% of the swim and I let that bother me for some reason. I thought I was putting out a better effort than my time but I am still happy with the results. I just need to get my race pace back down to an average of 1:30/100 yards. I am not sure why I have slowed down.
What would you do differently?:

Train an extra day and work on speed drills.
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

My heart rate was really high going into T1 and I had to walk a bit to settle down. My wetsuit got caught on my watch and I had a hard time getting the top off. My T1 time was terrible for my AG, I guess everyone else is really moving in transition (Running faster than me, an issue; see below for details).

Run faster!
Bike
  • 1h 10m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a hard time going up Congree Ave and could only average 17 mph. However, I was going 38mph coming down Congress all the way to Austin High (I love that section). I saw Dennis on the 3rd lap and gave a shout-out as I passed him on the hill only to have him pass my back on the DOWNHILL! Nobody passes me on the downhill:) I can't complain, it was a good time for my AG (9th out of 62) but I could do better.

More trainer sessions to build slow resistance in legs (going up Congress).
Transition 2
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

Man, am I slow in transition!

Run faster
Run
  • 1h 06m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

What can I say? I stink at running and I just watch as people pass me on the run. I had a painful side stitch on the first lap (3 miles) and had a hard time getting it to go away. I ended up walking off and on for alot more than I am used to walking. However, the stitch went away as I started to pass the finish line going away on the second lap and I was able to run the last 2 miles in 9:15 and 9:12. Too bad I couldn't do that early as I saw many people in my AG go past and my thought of going sub 2:35 drift away. The heat was a facter again today as well. Hot and humid!

I need a run coach, plain and simple.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the athletes tent, ate popsicles and had some water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run training, heat, side stitch.

Event comments:

I love this race, even though I don't feel like I have had a good race here in 3 tries. My swim was right on the money, although a little slow for me ( I should be doing 1:30/100 yards and not 1:40). I know this is a good time for most people, but it's my strength and I need the extra seconds to help my overall time because of my run inabilities.
Transitions were another issue today for the same reason my run stinks. I am slow on my feet. One day the turtle will beat the hare.
The bike was a good effort and I am pleased with my time, I need to drop 15 pounds and I think I will see that effort going up Congress get better. I was pretty spent at the top of each small hill and had trouble getting speed as I went down the hills.
The run stinks, I need a coach and I need one now.

I really enjoied meeting Dennis and Aaron (Sp?) before the start. It's nice to put a face with a name. I have seen Aaron at many races and have respected him for carrying that flag the whole way. Freescale Marathon of 2005 was the first time I remember seeing him and that impressed me. Sorry I had to miss the dinner at Dennis' house, I promise not to miss a meeting again. I have the Metroplex Sprint, Buffalo Springs, Ironhead Olympic, RiverCities (hopefully), Prairiman Half and then the Ironman Florida left to do this year so there has got to be more BT people at those races:)

Last updated: 2006-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:04 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/62
Overall: 182/1266
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto T1
Course: Loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:05 | 24.85 miles | 21.27 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/62
Overall: 315/1266
Performance:
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 4 loop course with 2 medium hills but mostly flat to a slight incline/decline (depending on which way you are going).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:06:07 | 06.21 miles | 10m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/62
Overall: 978/1266
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loop on city streets.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-05-29 5:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic

2006-06-01 2:51 PM
in reply to: #437327

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic
Good job Michael! Wow what a screamin' fast bike ride. Be proud of that!

I agree, this event is just about the most fun to be had in the sport. Which is a good thing, 'cause SOMETHING has to be worth all that pain during the run!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed