Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Bintan Triathlon : Who is racing? Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, alicefoeller Reply
2012-05-17 7:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Bintan Triathlon : Who is racing?

I know my training partner SonnyA is in, but he's not active on these boards.  We've also recruited a first-time triathlete who isn't on BT (yet).  Anybody else racing Bintan next weekend?

For those who have done Bintan in the past: any advice on how best to tackle that first hill coming out of T1?  This will be my first tri with clipless pedals.  I have practiced hopping on the bike with the shoes already clicked in, pedalling with my feet on my shoes, and putting one foot at a time into each shoe.  I can do this well enough on flats, but I don't have confidence that I can do it quickly enough while biking uphill.  Should I ride that first hill with my feet on top of my shoes?  Should I put my feet in my shoes (or at least one shoe) at the mounting line?  Other suggestions?

2012-05-18 6:00 AM
in reply to: #4216009

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Bintan Triathlon : Who is racing?

Giving it a miss this year. It's just really horrible timing, with two weeks to go in our school year, and my progress reports are due on that Monday. The transport logistics are also difficult at best, and it's uncomfortably close to my HIM in June.

As for the hill--I didn't start with my shoes attached to my bike. I have two-sided pedals that I can ride either clipped in or not. (It's a survival tactic for the roads here. I clip in when I hit a more traffic-free areas.) So I started on the flat side and clipped in after the initial climb. Riding with your feet on top of your shoes sounds hazardous. I'd make sure before putting the bike into transition that you're in an easy enough gear (check by climbing the hill). Then just clip in and ride up, standing if needed. The hill's steep, but it's quite short.

Be aware of the finish situation--short, steep downhill, 180 degree turn, back up same hill, down the same short, steep, hill as you went up at the start. I unclipped as I headed downhill, and rode the brakes. Saw a few people wipe out heading in after the bike.

2012-05-18 7:10 AM
in reply to: #4216309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Hey, Karen! I'll be sorry to miss you at Bintan this year. Thanks for the advice. I arrive in Bintan on Thursday, so I should have enough time to ride the course once before the race and get to know those techincal parts you've mentioned. Still, as a relative newbie, I appreciate your thoughts and those of other BTers on how to handle this course. Good luck with the remainder of the school year and the HIM training!
2012-05-21 10:52 PM

Singapore

Good luck on the weekend. Hope you hit your goal time. Last year I left the shoes on the bike and pedaled up the hill with my feet on top. As Karen mentions it's only a short climb and when I got to the top I put my feet in the shoes. It also makes it easy to get your feet down if someone spills in front of you.

I wouldn't recommend trying to clip in at the start as it is straight away uphill. Saw a lot of people fall trying to do that.

Let me know if you are stopping in SIngapore at all and we can catch up for a drink.

What are you hoping for with your splits?

2012-05-22 9:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Thanks, Andrew. I arrived in Singapore yesterday and take the ferry today, but I'll be back Sunday through Thursday, so I will reach out if I can break away from the famly. I like the approach you took and will try to copy it. Since I will have a few days in Bintan before the race, I should have time to practice that hill a few times before Saturday. My goals for my splits are 0:33/1:15/0:56, with less than a minute and a half per transition. The swim and bike goals (and maybe even the transition goals) are a bit ambitious for me, and the run will entirely depend on how I pace myself on the bike, but I feel confident and well-prepared, so we shall see!
2012-05-30 1:14 AM
in reply to: #4224186

Singapore
So how'd you do?

2012-05-30 6:18 AM
in reply to: #4234673

Singapore
Found the race report. Congrats on the time! Good performance, now I bet you are already thinking about the next race
2012-05-31 10:01 PM
in reply to: #4234754

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia

Thanks, Andrew.  I'm sorry we missed each other in Singapore.  We had an early flight on Thursday, so Wednesday evening was spent packing and preparing for the flight.

Bintan was a great experience, and I learned a lot.  One funny part was that the organizers, at the last minute it seemed, turned Friday's swim TT into a competition.  My coach told me to go easy on this TT, but my easy pace and hard pace are sadly very similar.  I ended up finishing the TT in 0:33:45, just missing my 0:33 race goal, but that was good enough for a silver medal!  (The guy who won the gold finished in 0:24:33, so I missed first place by a mere 9 minutes.)  Between missing my mark on Friday and the choppy/crowded conditions on Saturday, I though there was no way I would make my swim goal during the race.  But sure enough, I beat my goal time by 28 seconds.  Thank you floating lines and thank you drafting!

I am indeed focused on my next race(s).  Well, I'm actually taking a transition week now (i.e., a week off) and will get back into it starting Monday.  I move back to the U.S. next month and will race the Nations Tri in Washington, DC in September and then a half-iron race in North Carolina (Beach2Battleship) at the end of October.  2013 will be my Ironman season!

Let me know if your travels take you to the U.S. in the near future.  I sure will miss the SE Asia racing scene.

New Thread
Other Country Forums Southeast Asia » Bintan Triathlon : Who is racing? Rss Feed