General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Harriman State Park , New York
United States
New York Triathon Club
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 32m 18s
Overall Rank = 34/166
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/27
Pre-race routine:

Ate a PB and Honey sandwich with coffee and hit the road. I like how close this race is to home. Got there early to get my end-of-rack spot. They shouldnt put 10 bikes on racks these size in my opinion, but these guys keep everything else nice and simple.
Event warmup:

None. I was going to jump in the water but they called us back for a briefing.
Swim
  • 15m 59s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I really botched the sighting on this one. Since I didnt fix it by the turnaround, I needed to do a ~30 yard dog leg before turning back (depressing). The swim always takes away my morning confidence and leaves me disoriented, but this was still much better than last season.
What would you do differently?:

Sight more and leave the squid lid at home. I was HOT.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Nothing eventful here. I felt fine once I was out of the water for a minute. Jogged in my bike shoes since i didnt want to try to get fancy in a pretty short transition

Remove ear plugs. Didn't realize they were still in until halfway through the bike.
Bike
  • 56m 59s
  • 17 miles
  • 17.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I really wanted to push this bike, and that's what I did. I actually thought I was going faster on average than the result, but I'm super excited by the result given the course. I rode with confidence and probably past as many people as past me. I traded places with a few people who would have left me gasping last year. Managed to stay aero for about 75% of the ride, but paid for it on the bumps and cracks in the road. I might need a little more hydration even for a sprint. First time racing with an aero bottle (20oz) and I ran out near enough to the end that it was no big deal.

Keep biking. Keep getting faster. If I cant move it along at a decent pace without putting out this much effort at IMAZ, its going to be a long day and hard run...
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

All fine
Run
  • 17m 3s
  • 2.6 miles
  • 06m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Very happy with this run. My legs were rubber for the first 3/4 mile. I can try to go faster or slower, but I don't think I have any control at the beginning. luckily the rubber legs wanted to stay under 7:00. After the rubber legs, I had the block feet, but they kept turning over. Last year, when I biked slower, I passed a lot more people on the run. This time I was with the faster folks, but still no one passed me and I got to pass a few here and there. At 1 mile from the finish I started chasing a guy, and I'm so glad he was there, even though I never caught him. The finish is at the lake beach but we had to run right past the chute for a short out and back. That was a real kick in the b@lls. If it wasnt for my rabbit, I probably would have lost some steam, but instead i passed 2-3 more on the out and back. I met the rabbit after he beat me by a few seconds and was glad to find that he was doing the duatlon, so not catching him didn't hurt my placing.

Not much. pretty happy.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with Kim and Ed (took 2nd overall in the Du)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more swim training

Event comments:

Had a great time. If I can fit it in, they do this exact race in September so I measure fitness.

Last updated: 2012-02-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:59 | 880 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/27
Overall: 115/166
Performance: Average
Suit: Full plus neoprene cap
Course: Counterclockwise triangle in Lake Welch. Lake Sebago got storm damaged last fall. 2 waves.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:56:59 | 17 miles | 17.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/27
Overall: 30/166
Wind: Little
Course: I forgot how bumpy parts of the this route is. Its the same as last year but they added 3 miles by changing lakes. And added one more hill! lots of rollers and 2 climbs
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 84
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:17:03 | 02.6 miles | 06m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/27
Overall: 10/166
Course: one half decent hill, a turn around then lots of flat. There was an evil out and back right in front of the finish chute.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-05-20 8:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon

2012-05-21 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4219547

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon

congrats Bill!!!  Glad you remembered your shoes this time!!!  Nice work bud!!!

2012-05-21 9:07 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Great race and a good way to start off the season Bill!!  Nice pace off the bike especially giving the extra effort on the bike!
2012-05-23 8:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Thanks guys.

Rudy - I did bring all required footwear, but now I keep some old toe clip pedals in my car just in case Surprised

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New York Tri/Duathlon Series #1 - Triathlon Rss Feed